Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #376
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
You won't be able to upgrade to 5.16.8 then.
Quote:
Are you intellectually challenged, my friend?
Your original statement is manifestly incorrect considering that several people have mentioned manually upgrading to 5.16.8.

Perhaps if you had said that you would not be able to use all the new features of 5.16.8, your statement might have been acceptable. As it was, you simply stated that without WiFi, you would not be able to upgrade to 5.16.8.

For most people, I would suspect that dropping to the level of personal insults is not helping your case. Adding "my friend" does nothing but emphasize your insult.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:24 AM   #377
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps if you had said that you would not be able to use all the new features of 5.16.8, your statement might have been acceptable.
Isn't using the new features the point of upgrading in the first place? I used an abbreviation; smart people will understand.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2024, 11:42 AM   #378
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Isn't using the new features the point of upgrading in the first place? I used an abbreviation; smart people will understand.
New features are not always the point in upgrading. Sometimes, there are security and bug fixes not to mention quite a few new features that do not require a WiFi connection to activate them.

As for what you said being an abbreviation? If what you are now claiming that you meant in contrast to what you actually wrote, you seem not to understand that when you "abbreviate", you need to ensure that your meaning is not lost. Since you left out any suggestion that some new features might require a WiFi connection in favour of a blanket statement that you can not update without WiFi, it would appear that the issue was between your keyboard and chair.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:46 AM   #379
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Most of the people upgraded because of the new Sleep Timer feature.

You CAN'T fully upgrade offline, because you CAN'T use the new features without connecting to the network. Hope this makes things clear.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:09 PM   #380
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
You CAN'T fully upgrade offline, because you CAN'T use the new features without connecting to the network. Hope this makes things clear.
Which is abusive behaviour. There should NEVER be time-delayed or later OTA activated features in FW updates (especially for anything like an ereader, TV, BD player etc). It's shoddy. They didn't used to do this. Lazy programming and testing.

I've wondered what happens to to such "later activated features" if you update via USB and then later update again by USB? My dad never had WiFi on his Kindle. The store guys helped him activate originally with registration using instore WiFi. His PC was plugged into the Cable Modem for broadband.

While it's nice to have WiFi an ereader is a gadget like a calculator or VHS or electronic scales that should never have to have WiFi. Some smaller kids I know don't have any WiFi password on their ereaders.

Amazon is so obsessed with so called "Whispernet" and subscriptions. Really it's so trivially simple to use USB, though MTP is trickier and sad they changed Scribe to use it (likely to better support 64 G as that needs exFat or ext4 rather than FAT32). Many people use USB to copy phone pictures/video to PC. Not everyone thinks Facebook and Youtube are their albums.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-09-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: qualify.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2024, 12:27 PM   #381
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, often people hope it fixes some stupid bug. Really there is hardly anything seriously worth-while in new features, except occasionally adding stuff that should have been there in 2007.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:47 PM   #382
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Most of the people upgraded because of the new Sleep Timer feature.
I'm confident most people don't know the new sleep timer feature exists.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:53 PM   #383
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
You won't be able to upgrade to 5.16.8 then.
Not a big deal for me, since I'm happily running 5.9.4

Newer doesn't always mean better. Newer may only add "new features" that you don't really want. Like automatic deletion of side loaded books. I am wanting for nothing using my older firmware, so I see no need to "upgrade" it. Security fixes might be one reason to upgrade. But having your Kindle offline permanently is about the best security upgrade you could ever do.

Last edited by haertig; 04-09-2024 at 12:55 PM.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:49 PM   #384
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes.
Mobileread folk are a tiny subset of Kindle users.

Many people just read novels and won't care about the sleep timer. My first Kindle was a PW1, and I still have a PW3, DXG and K3. I've not felt the lack of any features in the last load of versions and don't need the Sleep timer, which should have been in all Kindles since 2007. Trivial code and useful to some people. Recipies?

There should be a Sleep showing open page option on all eink ereaders.Even the option to have it when off.a
Old 04-09-2024, 06:37 PM   #385
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A user settable sleep timer on an eReader sounds like a feature invented by a programmer desperately trying to prove their value to the company, before they get laid off. But more likely, it's something new that Amazon can advertise to get the gullible to upgrade, and thus receive the more hidden "features" that Amazon wants to deploy to their eReader.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:07 PM   #386
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes.
Mobileread folk are a tiny subset of Kindle users.

Many people just read novels and won't care about the sleep timer. My first Kindle was a PW1, and I still have a PW3, DXG and K3. I've not felt the lack of any features in the last load of versions and don't need the Sleep timer, which should have been in all Kindles since 2007. Trivial code and useful to some people. Recipies?

There should be a Sleep showing open page option on all eink ereaders.Even the option to have it when off.a
I think that there is or was an ereader that does that. I think it added a notice that power is off. (Otherwise it could be confusing.)

The UI for changing the timeout in the context of keeping the overall UI simple, clear, and uncluttered is not trivial, but it would have been trivial to have made yet another undocumented searchbar command while they agonized over whether and how to add it to the UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
A user settable sleep timer on an eReader sounds like a feature invented by a programmer desperately trying to prove their value to the company, before they get laid off. But more likely, it's something new that Amazon can advertise to get the gullible to upgrade, and thus receive the more hidden "features" that Amazon wants to deploy to their eReader.
(At least some) kindle users have been requesting that for at least 15 years. They have given the reasons, but I guess you weren't paying attention. Just because an application is useless to you doesn't mean that it is useless.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:30 PM   #387
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Just because an application is useless to you doesn't mean that it is useless.
Yes. But I am still free to state my opinion that it is useless, am I not?

If we were restricted to only say things that covered every possible case or scenario or opinion out there, then nobody could ever say anything, now could they? Every post in this forum would be stopped dead in its tracks.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:34 PM   #388
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It seems to be rather strange to claim that it was invented by a Lab123 programmer since it has been present in competing ereaders for over a decade.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:40 PM   #389
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I think that there is or was an ereader that does that. I think it added a notice that power is off. (Otherwise it could be confusing.)
Several ereaders offer the choice of sleep and power timeouts. And yes, you do get a notice on the sleep/power off screen.

Quote:
The UI for changing the timeout in the context of keeping the overall UI simple, clear, and uncluttered is not trivial, but it would have been trivial to have made yet another undocumented searchbar command while they agonized over whether and how to add it to the UI.
See the attached image for a UI sample.

Quote:
(At least some) kindle users have been requesting that for at least 15 years. They have given the reasons, but I guess you weren't paying attention. Just because an application is useless to you doesn't mean that it is useless.
Quite a few posters around here seem to be of the opinion that their opinion is the only one that counts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	51
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	207459  
Old 04-09-2024, 11:59 PM   #390
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It seems to be rather strange to claim that it was invented by a Lab123 programmer since it has been present in competing ereaders for over a decade.
It wasn't a claim. It was a joke. I didn't expect literalists to get it.