Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2024, 02:23 AM   #361
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
This issue is still being investigated?
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:20 AM   #362
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It happened to me for the third time when installing the new update. I used cable, but still had to connect to the network to activate new features. All the siteloaded ebooks gone. This time I made some preparations, so it didn't take much time to restore everything. Still, super disappointed to see this issue remains unsolved for so long.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 01:26 PM   #363
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The extended timeframe that this has been happening is starting to make things lean away from it being an "issue that needs to be solved" and lean towards being "intentional behavior implemented by Amazon".

Has Amazon even acknowledged the problem yet, or have they remained silent on it? I would assume that someone has reported it to them. This is not something that I keep up with routinely, other than occasionally scanning this thread to see if there have been any updates. It's interesting to read about, but it doesn't affect me personally (100% in airplane mode, always).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:13 PM   #364
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
This happened to me on Saturday. I have Kindle Unlimited and was trying to download a new book to read. Didn't pay attention and when I saw that my Kindle Unlimited book had downloaded, also saw that all my side-loaded books were gone. All I had left on the Paperwhite were 5 KU books.

Needless to say, no more KU for me and I'll live with my present software.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:26 PM   #365
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Has Amazon even acknowledged the problem yet, or have they remained silent on it? I would assume that someone has reported it to them. This is not something that I keep up with routinely, other than occasionally scanning this thread to see if there have been any updates. It's interesting to read about, but it doesn't affect me personally (100% in airplane mode, always).
I have seen sideloaded books disappear twice on my Paperwhite 10th gen. I have contacted Amazon Canada twice. The first time, I got one of the script runner "tech" support personnel and was told to factory reset my Kindle. The second time, the tech support wanted me to factory reset my Kindle. When I stated that I had already done that and it did not fix the problem, I was told that the tech could not see any record of a previous report of the issue. At that time, I was put on hold while the tech checked with their manager. After ~30 minutes on hold, the call was dropped—that has happened before when I've been on hold for a while and I don't blame Amazon for it.

Since to me, my Kindle is just a test bed for ebooks before they are sent to KDP, it's not a big deal to me since it is not my day-to-day ereader and often sits for a month between uses. Of course, that month between uses may be part of the trigger for the issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 11:57 PM   #366
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, does Amazon advertise anywhere that Kindle supports side loading? I have not seeing anywhere mentioning that one can plug in USB and side load books. If you know of such advertisement, can you please share a link to it? Or page number in manual?
Old 04-09-2024, 12:21 AM   #367
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
By the way, does Amazon advertise anywhere that Kindle supports side loading? I have not seeing anywhere mentioning that one can plug in USB and side load books. If you know of such advertisement, can you please share a link to it? Or page number in manual?
Do the words "Download & transfer via USB" and the instructions for it qualify?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:14 AM   #368
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do the words "Download & transfer via USB" and the instructions for it qualify?
Yes.

Also technically it's a crime in many countries to remove / delete files from someone else's system/device/computer.

And a good reason to buy any ereader is the tens of thousands public domain texts out of print. I'm sure Amazon has mentioned that in the past, though their main goal seems to be to sell subscriptions (Prime, KU, Audible, video etc), even to automatically sell again products you buy. They are using "Dark" UX / GUIs to get people to click on subscriptions. That's changed on German site due to court action, but not on the UK Site.

They promised after the Orwell debacle that they'd never delete ebooks again, even if they had be wrongly sold. The copyright issue was up to Amazon to resolve (and pay compensation on), not the customers.

Even if it's a mistake, that will only be a mitigating circumstance in deciding damages. They are absolutely breaking the law in many countries. The "value" of mitigation decreases with each day they let this automated "bug" continue.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-09-2024 at 04:22 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:04 AM   #369
endriu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
100% in airplane mode, always
You won't be able to upgrade to 5.16.8 then.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:18 AM   #370
arturg
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes.

Also technically it's a crime in many countries to remove / delete files from someone else's system/device/computer.
Ok so let's make a class act against Amazon for, say, one million dollars per user?
Old 04-09-2024, 06:12 AM   #371
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The damages would have to be proportionate and that would be a civil suit. Class action cases don't even exist in some countries where this is actually criminal.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:48 AM   #372
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
You won't be able to upgrade to 5.16.8 then.
Actually, that's wrong. You can download the firmware and put it on the Kindle via USB. From what I've read, you won't be able to activate all of the new features without a WiFi connection.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:58 AM   #373
endriu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
you won't be able to activate all of the new features
That's what I'm saying.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:29 AM   #374
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
That's what I'm saying.
But that's not how you said it. You said with WiFi off, the firmware would be unable to be upgraded. You said nothing about the new features that need WiFi to activate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:58 AM   #375
endriu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that's not how you said it. You said with WiFi off, the firmware would be unable to be upgraded. You said nothing about the new features that need WiFi to activate.
Are you intellectually challenged, my friend?