Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 07:41 AM   #331
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
FWIW, it has to be a real error, not a "this isn't the exact way I like it and my way is the only right way".
It was real errors I wanted fixed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:14 PM   #332
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
FWIW, it has to be a real error, not a "this isn't the exact way I like it and my way is the only right way".
I chose a Discworld book at random and it's wrong. The book is Hogfather. The series shown is Death (#4), Discworld (#20), Kolekcja Świat Dysku (#27). In order to be correct it should be Discworld 20. I don't know if the # is put in by the system or by the librarians. So yes, there are real mistakes allowed by the librarians.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 03:50 PM   #333
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

# surely just means number or volume?
Old 03-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #334
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
# surely just means number or volume?
Yes. But it's not supposed to be there if it's been put in by a librarian
Old 03-11-2024, 09:41 PM   #335
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, when I noticed several books that did not yet exist with ratings and reviews, I reported them several times. 6 months later, nothing had changed except more ratings and reviews had been added.

This was a few years back and I decided it was not worth my time to continue trying to order the tide not to roll in.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2024, 10:07 AM   #336
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I chose a Discworld book at random and it's wrong. The book is Hogfather. The series shown is Death (#4), Discworld (#20), Kolekcja Świat Dysku (#27). In order to be correct it should be Discworld 20. I don't know if the # is put in by the system or by the librarians. So yes, there are real mistakes allowed by the librarians.
What's the error?

If you're very upset, you could always apply to be a librarian yourself, and fix it. Gotta read all the manuals first though, not decide that how you think it should work is Correct. The series editing system is a touch clunky.

Last edited by meeera; 03-12-2024 at 10:11 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:06 PM   #337
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What's the error?

If you're very upset, you could always apply to be a librarian yourself, and fix it. Gotta read all the manuals first though, not decide that how you think it should work is Correct. The series editing system is a touch clunky.
Death (#4), Discworld (#20), Kolekcja Świat Dysku (#27)

Only Discworld 20 is correct, The rest is wrong.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:43 PM   #338
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who break the Discworld books into smaller arcs, Death #4 would be correct since the Death arc would be Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather & Thief of Time.

I have seen quite a few people who break Discworld up into the following subseries:

Discworld: Death
Discworld: City Watch
Discworld: Witches
Discworld: Rincewind
Discworld: Tiffany Aching
Discworld: Industrial Revolution

Much like the people who break up Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series into multiple subseries such as Valdemar:Last Herald-Mage, Valdemar:Mage Storms, etc.

There is no one true way.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-12-2024 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:04 AM   #339
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Death (#4), Discworld (#20), Kolekcja Świat Dysku (#27)

Right, so not an actual error then, just an I Don't Like It This Way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:08 AM   #340
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Right, so not an actual error then, just an I Don't Like It This Way.
Yes, and some sub-series like Tiffany Aching make more sense than others.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #341
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, and some sub-series like Tiffany Aching make more sense than others.
And some, like Rincewind, might be part of a broader Unseen University series, or maybe that series is separate, since there are a good few Rincewind novels with no UU in them (and vice versa, and for that matter Lords and Ladies might be both UU and Witches at the same time: there is cross-pollination of characters between series sometimes). It's a glorious mess, but there *are* definitely sub-series in there and it makes sense for goodreads to track them.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:30 PM   #342
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Should we move on to the reading order vs. publication order series indexes? C. S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia are probably the best example of this. But there are quite a few other series where the books were not written in chronological order.

Publication Order
  1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
  2. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
  3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
  4. The Silver Chair (1953)
  5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
  6. The Magician’s Nephew (1955)
  7. The Last Battle (1956)

Chronological Order
  1. The Magician’s Nephew
  2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  3. The Horse and His Boy
  4. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia
  5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  6. The Silver Chair
  7. The Last Battle

“I think I agree with your order for reading the books more than with your mother’s. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn’t think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them.”—C. S. Lewis, 4/23/57
Old 03-13-2024, 04:33 PM   #343
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's some classic Jon right there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:39 PM   #344
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's some classic Jon right there.
Sadly all too true. When you look up dogmatic in the dictionary, Jon's picture is beside the definition.
Quote:
characterized by or given to the expression of opinions very strongly or positively as if they were facts
Old 03-13-2024, 05:17 PM   #345
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Should we move on to the reading order vs. publication order series indexes? C. S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia are probably the best example of this. But there are quite a few other series where the books were not written in chronological order.
I question sometimes why people are so bent on chronological order. If the central conflict of the entire series is started by Publication Order #1, do I really want to read Prequel Series Set 1000 Years Before The Main Conflict (Chronological Order #1)? Or am I more likely to get scared off the main series before I ever even get to Publication Order #1 because Chronological Order #1 was of middling, inferior quality?

It really depends for me on what value the order brings. What would be gained by watching Memento in chronological order?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote