Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2024, 07:41 AM   #301
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's easy. Buy a Kobo Reader instead of a Kindle.
I was asking what to do now that you have a Kindle with which Amazon maybe occasionally interferes, not one should do (I bought mine knowing beforehand I'd jailbreak it, do you think there's something wrong with that?)
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:05 AM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
I was asking what to do now that you have a Kindle with which Amazon maybe occasionally interferes, not one should do (I bought mine knowing beforehand I'd jailbreak it, do you think there's something wrong with that?)
Buy a Kobo. That's what to do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2024, 08:19 AM   #303
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Buy a Kobo. That's what to do.
I say one isn't enough, buy ten.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:46 AM   #304
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
So, my original question was for the people who already know this can happen--you know this can happen, you know you can prevent it, why is it a big deal?
Because
1. No one should mess with my personal content on my personal device, in principle
2. It would be bothersome in some circumstances where you do want to switch wifi on.

Personally I'm not sure if the whole issue is enough to never make me buy another Kindle or not, but it sure is a strong reason to think twice before doing so. I'm not interested in jailbreaking and I don't want to use KOReader (yes, I've tried it; it has a couple of serious flaws that make it very unattractive for me), so the only reason I'd buy a Kindle again would be some stellar hardware that trumps anything competitors offer. We'll see.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:29 AM   #305
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Because
1. No one should mess with my personal content on my personal device, in principle
2. It would be bothersome in some circumstances where you do want to switch wifi on.

Personally I'm not sure if the whole issue is enough to never make me buy another Kindle or not, but it sure is a strong reason to think twice before doing so. I'm not interested in jailbreaking and I don't want to use KOReader (yes, I've tried it; it has a couple of serious flaws that make it very unattractive for me), so the only reason I'd buy a Kindle again would be some stellar hardware that trumps anything competitors offer. We'll see.
I agree with both points and I'm not making a point for anyone who doesn't own a Kindle to buy one--or another one, far from it. I just meant that as far as I'm concerned, these issues are easily solvable--less so if jailbreaking, or using KOReader, or staying offline aren't options. For me, the Kindle was cheap, good hardware, coupled with stellar software (KOReader), and jailbreaking was in the cards from the get go.
Advert
Old 02-26-2024, 11:05 AM   #306
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
For me, the biggest worry is if they have started to delete sideloaded content, what's next? Disable sideloading altogether? Only allow send-to-kindle? Now that would really be a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to spend my time worrying that a simple software update might render my Kindle unusable for me. Yes, I know... keep it offline, always. But I'd still worry.

For clarification, I don't use a Kindle at the moment at all. All these issues just might make me think long and hard before buying another one in the future. I don't like the way Amazon seems to be going recently. At all.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:03 PM   #307
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
I just meant that as far as I'm concerned, these issues are easily solvable--less so if jailbreaking, or using KOReader, or staying offline aren't options. For me, the Kindle was cheap, good hardware, coupled with stellar software (KOReader), and jailbreaking was in the cards from the get go.
Pretty much the same conclusion I came to. Amazon deleted files from both my Scribe and my 11th gen Paperwhite. I solved the issue by selling my Scribe which could not be jailbroken. And keeping my Paperwhite which could. And I did. I also like KOReader and use it on both my Paperwhite and Kobos.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:50 PM   #308
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
So, my original question was for the people who already know this can happen--you know this can happen, you know you can prevent it, why is it a big deal?

For me it’s not a big deal at all. I rarely ever have wifi off. But even if this did happen and I wasn’t home I’d just put the book back using my iPad if I had it with me. If not I’ll read an official Kindle book. I use Bookly so I always know what page I’m on. I rarely take notes, but when I happen to do so I do it in Bookly. I don’t highlight in sideloaded books because I’m going to delete the books after I finish reading. Whatever highlighting I’d want to add I’d as a quote to Bookly. This is a “meh” issue for me.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:40 AM   #309
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
For me it’s not a big deal at all. I rarely ever have wifi off. But even if this did happen and I wasn’t home I’d just put the book back using my iPad if I had it with me. If not I’ll read an official Kindle book. I use Bookly so I always know what page I’m on. I rarely take notes, but when I happen to do so I do it in Bookly. I don’t highlight in sideloaded books because I’m going to delete the books after I finish reading. Whatever highlighting I’d want to add I’d as a quote to Bookly. This is a “meh” issue for me.
If you were to give up Bookly and use StoryGraph, you'd get most of the same functionality and you'd have the advantage of the app and a website. So if you didn't have access to the app but did have access to the web, you'd have access to your reading and could update as you want. I think the only thing missing is the notes feature of Bookly. After having a look at Bookly, I'd stick with StoryGraph given it's advantage of the website. Also, with StoryGraph, you can participate in the MR reading challenge.

You could update both Bookly and StoryGraph until you decide to drop Bookly.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:47 AM   #310
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
If you were to give up Bookly and use StoryGraph, you'd get most of the same functionality and you'd have the advantage of the app and a website. So if you didn't have access to the app but did have access to the web, you'd have access to your reading and could update as you want. I think the only thing missing is the notes feature of Bookly. After having a look at Bookly, I'd stick with StoryGraph given it's advantage of the website. Also, with StoryGraph, you can participate in the MR reading challenge.

I use goodreads still. I also have things going in StoryGraph but the UI is such a hot mess in trying to find out where and how to do things. It is a guess game each time I use it. I have not heard of Bookly, may have to look into it just for kicks.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:12 AM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I use goodreads still. I also have things going in StoryGraph but the UI is such a hot mess in trying to find out where and how to do things. It is a guess game each time I use it. I have not heard of Bookly, may have to look into it just for kicks.
Bookly is just an app. Because there is no website, you have to put all of your data on your phone or tablet.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:22 AM   #312
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
. I think the only thing missing is the notes feature of Bookly.
I've only spent a little time with StoryGraph, but is the Reading Journal feature that different from Bookly's notes?
Old 03-01-2024, 06:31 AM   #313
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Amazon removed books from my Kindle

Quote:

No thanks. I don’t like SG. I like having more control. SG still doesn’t have all of my books. And I’m not doing free labor for their site. Certainly not when GR has all my books. Also, I have a reading spreadsheet so SG’s graphs hold no appeal. Finally I’m an old school Bookly user so I got lifetime Pro back when it was $6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post

Me too. I’m a Kindle user so I see no point in moving away from GR. GR has the books. SG is still lacking in that area for me. I think it’s a hot mess too. I use Bookly for the infographics. Also, I like knowing how long it takes me to read. I’m weird like that.

Last edited by JBaby; 03-01-2024 at 06:46 AM.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:07 AM   #314
kbullet
kbullet began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 11, Oasis 3
It is quite frustrating now, when reconnecting to wifi after 1-2+ weeks of being offline all the side loaded books are gone again . My initial suspicion might have something to do with the collection being synced. But on my latest test all books gets wiped whether they're in a collection or not.
kbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 02:45 PM   #315
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've only spent a little time with StoryGraph, but is the Reading Journal feature that different from Bookly's notes?
I'm not sure. But you can add your own notes. So maybe that would do.

I like Storygraph better because I'm not limited to an app on my phone. I can use the iPhone app or the website. Plus. I really like the reading challenges feature of Storygraph. Bookly may be good, but it's not good enough.