Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2024, 05:57 PM   #286
BlackQueenKnight
BlackQueenKnight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did want to add that the book deletion has been happening since 2021. This thread was created in July 2021 after all.
BlackQueenKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:59 PM   #287
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Hopeful that even this seems to be server side issue, the latest update would have some positive impact on this since it might deal with diff algorithms and such in both the client and the server.

I have given up on side-loading and switched fully to send-to-kindle so not able to test the bug any more.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2024, 05:05 AM   #288
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
I’m curious, why is it such a big deal that (occasionally, from what I understand) Amazon is deleting some sideloaded ebooks? Aren't there backup copies and isn't it easy to sideload them back (and go offline, if needed)?
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:07 AM   #289
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
I’m curious, why is it such a big deal that (occasionally, from what I understand) Amazon is deleting some sideloaded ebooks? Aren't there backup copies and isn't it easy to sideload them back (and go offline, if needed)?
But what if you've been reading some of them and have made highlights? You'd lose your reading position and your highlights. Plus, you could be somewhere you cannot put your eBook back just yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:14 AM   #290
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what if you've been reading some of them and have made highlights? You'd lose your reading position and your highlights. Plus, you could be somewhere you cannot put your eBook back just yet.
That's a good point which I hand't thought about, but I don't see a lot of people reporting this for the books they're currently reading. In any case, it's just another reason for not supporting Amazon (it's evil enough as it is, deleting sideloaded books is not its worst deed either by avoiding the reader and the ecosystem or jailbreaking it
Advert
Old 02-26-2024, 05:21 AM   #291
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
I only saw now the bit you've added about being somewhere where you can't put it back--I mean, by now you know this can happen and I assume people go offline when going abroad, they're proactive about the issue, they don't just invite the problem
Old 02-26-2024, 05:52 AM   #292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I only saw now the bit you've added about being somewhere where you can't put it back--I mean, by now you know this can happen and I assume people go offline when going abroad, they're proactive about the issue, they don't just invite the problem
But what if you don't know about side loaded eBooks being removed and you buy an eBook from Amazon, go to download it and you get eBooks removed? That's a real possibility.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:05 AM   #293
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
But what if you don't know about side loaded eBooks being removed and you buy an eBook from Amazon, go to download it and you get eBooks removed? That's a real possibility.
Sure, it's a real possibility. But what happens next depends on the person--the person is confused at first, maybe a little angry, looks up 'my sideloaded books were removed from my kindle' and understands what happened; for me it wouldn't be a big deal, I'd just see if there was anything I could do to prevent that. But I'm not saying everyone should feel the way I do, I'm just emphasizing (if you're that person who understood what happened, as most contributing to this thread are), that there are things you can do to prevent it (go offline, save your notes, jailbreak etc.). I'm very happy with my mostly offline/jailbroken PW3, but not everyone has to be.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:08 AM   #294
paperwhite13
Zealot

So, my original question was for the people who already know this can happen--you know this can happen, you know you can prevent it, why is it a big deal?
Old 02-26-2024, 06:20 AM   #295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So, my original question was for the people who already know this can happen--you know this can happen, you know you can prevent it, why is it a big deal?
Because Amazon should never be deleting side loaded eBooks.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:02 AM   #296
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It's been not long after a week since my PW3 has WiFi turned on. I'll turn on WiFi tomorrow and see if any of my side loaded books get lost.
You never reported back. How many books were deleted?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:31 AM   #297
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Because Amazon should never be deleting side loaded eBooks.
And Amazon shouldn't treat its employees like it does. But in regard to deleted sideloaded books, what are the options now? Throw away your Kindle or continue using it?
Old 02-26-2024, 07:36 AM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You never reported back. How many books were deleted?
None were deleted. I'm waiting to see what happens when I leave WiFi off until April.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:37 AM   #299
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And Amazon shouldn't treat its employees like it does. But in regard to deleted sideloaded books, what are the options now? Throw away your Kindle or continue using it?
That's easy. Buy a Kobo Reader instead of a Kindle.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:39 AM   #300
paperwhite13
Zealot

So spend more money after giving some to Amazon ) No, thanks, I'm fine, I'll keep using my jailbroken Kindle and fill it with epubs, just to spite (in principle, I don't really think it matters) Amazon.