Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Amazon removed sort prices low to high from on-kindle store

I just noticed some changes when browsing the store from my kindle. One, the font is much bigger! But, most importantly, especially if you are searching for free books (I was searching for Trilby by George du Maurier), the option to sort prices from low to high has gone, replaced by date of release and other such useless options.

I’m sure the prices were also displayed beside each of the books in the list, but now, the space beside each book is blank and you have to click on each individual book cover to find out the price.

In other words, they are making it as difficult as possible for people to compare prices. Naughty, naughty.

Anyway, I downloaded the book from Project Gutenberg in the end, so no big deal, but a change for the worse (for the customer) and for the better for Amazon's bottom line, presumably.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The sort by price is still there for me. This was on a tablet in desktop mode.

Edit: oops, missed that this was on the Kindle.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
I miss sort by price drop that they removed years ago on the web site.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I just noticed some changes when browsing the store from my kindle. One, the font is much bigger! But, most importantly, especially if you are searching for free books (I was searching for Trilby by George du Maurier), the option to sort prices from low to high has gone, replaced by date of release and other such useless options.

I’m sure the prices were also displayed beside each of the books in the list, but now, the space beside each book is blank and you have to click on each individual book cover to find out the price.

In other words, they are making it as difficult as possible for people to compare prices. Naughty, naughty.

Anyway, I downloaded the book from Project Gutenberg in the end, so no big deal, but a change for the worse (for the customer) and for the better for Amazon's bottom line, presumably.
Goodreads has been revamping their book data page with a horrible beta as well, that went fully live for me yesterday. Amazon is also doing a similar book page with changes I've noticed. The search feature is horrible now, which I and hundreds of others use often for Goodreads based challenges when we have to find the sentence and location for certain words. Now the search feature with the newly designed book pages show only search for usually the first four chapters of the book, and don't always display the sentence or the page number. I don't like the changes on either site.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've had trouble finding the freebie versions of classics on Amazon. Seems the paid versions always pop up first. Sometimes sorting doesn't fix that. I've resorted to finding freebies elsewhere, like here in the Patricia Clarke Memorial Library then using calibre to load the books on my kindle.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've had trouble finding the freebie versions of classics on Amazon. Seems the paid versions always pop up first. Sometimes sorting doesn't fix that. I've resorted to finding freebies elsewhere, like here in the Patricia Clarke Memorial Library then using calibre to load the books on my kindle.
English translations of non English classics that are on sale can also be difficult to locate on amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've had trouble finding the freebie versions of classics on Amazon. Seems the paid versions always pop up first.
Amazon's search at some point decided it'll do whatever the heck it wants, like inserting non-free books between free books when sorting by price, years ago.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Amazon's search at some point decided it'll do whatever the heck it wants.
I have trouble believing it could be any worse than Kobo's alleged 'search' function. One area in which I would have preferred Kobo not try so hard to ape Amazon.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:36 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would recommend ereaderiq.com to track prices of specific books.

They also have listing of free books, and books with price drops, but it’s not something I’m particularly interested in; free ebooks are usually outside my areas of interest, as are 99% of books with price drops.

Fire tablet still has sorting by Price.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post

I’m seeing this, too, on my Paperwhite 4 running 5.13.5. Looking for a public domain version is exactly the same reason I use this feature. I wonder why corporations make these sorts of choices. Does the average consumer truly resign themselves to paying top dollar for a free book, or do they just stop using the bookstore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:35 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I have trouble believing it could be any worse than Kobo's alleged 'search' function. One area in which I would have preferred Kobo not try so hard to ape Amazon.
At this point, I would say that Kobo is doing a better job since the price sort (low to high or high to low) seems to work without tossing in pages of advertisements.

OTOH, both companies recommendations still suck big time. I read mostly science fiction and fantasy so I keep getting recommendations for "I was an alien shifter's kidnapped mate". If nothing else, the chances of having enough genetic material in common to allow reproduction is minuscule at best.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:53 AM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At this point, I would say that Kobo is doing a better job since the price sort (low to high or high to low) seems to work without tossing in pages of advertisements.

OTOH, both companies recommendations still suck big time. I read mostly science fiction and fantasy so I keep getting recommendations for "I was an alien shifter's kidnapped mate". If nothing else, the chances of having enough genetic material in common to allow reproduction is minuscule at best.
I feel your pain, although for me, its the fact SF and Fantasy are effectively considered the same thing, and finding SF without Fantasy is harder than finding unanimity in an MR thread.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:38 AM   #13
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I keep getting recommendations for "I was an alien shifter's kidnapped mate". If nothing else, the chances of having enough genetic material in common to allow reproduction is minuscule at best.
It's called "suspending disbelief"
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
At least some of the recommendations can be humorous. The same thing happened to me with Goodreads - the suggestion was 'Because you read the Exorcist', we think you'd enjoy Hell Cop - erotic demon M/M anthology. The Exorcist doesn't get me into that kind of mood, but okay...

My status updates on Goodreads, the truly memorable ones need snapshots
https://www.goodreads.com/user_status/show/246903843
https://www.goodreads.com/user_status/show/246566510
https://www.goodreads.com/user_status/show/66292765
https://www.goodreads.com/user_status/show/88025630 , the comment discussion was particularly fun with this one

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 04-21-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

My Goodreads recommendations are always romance or romantic suspense. There’s nothing remotely like that in the close to 3,000 books I’ve got listed there. I suspect in part it’s gender bias; my GR friend whose likes dovetail closest to mine is a man and I’d be willing to bet serious money that he’s not getting romance recommendations.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote