Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog
Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2/iPad/iPhone
Question [PW2] Drilling into the dictionary

I ran into the word 'twixt' which I hadn't seen before. Upon highlighting, the dictionary showed me it's a contraction of the word 'betwixt'.

How do I get to the definition of 'betwixt'?
Brazen_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, usually there would be a link in the dictionary to the related word. In this case I guess you will have to search it yourself.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog
Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I haven't seen those, yet. Good to know!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is only there in the dictionary itself, not the popup, though.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Such a shame, though. If you know what it's linked to, why not link it.
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure it's not linked in the full dictionary page? The pop-up doesn't show links.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I checked, it doesn't.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's mildly surprising. Thanks for checking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

First thing I did.

I thought it was odd, because as I recall most words -- even variant spellings -- provide linkage to related words.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I don't know about the PW's, but on my K4 I can look up words from the dictionary.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I don't know about the PW's, but on my K4 I can look up words from the dictionary.
The issue here is it defines, as a contraction, but doesn't link to the non-contracted word's definition.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I realize that. If one would like to see what the afore mentioned word means they can find the definition in the manner in which I described.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #13
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Sure, but I wouldn't need to ask a question about that. Which I didn''t.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

I interpret this to be such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen_NL View Post
[...]How do I get to the definition of 'betwixt'?[...]
Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #15
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I interpret this to be such.
From the already shown popup from highlighting 'twixt' ...