Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Science Fiction book will expand our horizons in May?
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein 9 37.50%
1632 by Eric Flint 6 25.00%
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov 6 25.00%
The Giver by Lois Lowry 5 20.83%
The Door Into Summer by Robert A Heinlein 9 37.50%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 9 37.50%
The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. 6 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Brave New World and The Steerswoman are coming up on the outside!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:17 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, there are certainly two completely different works!

@nurseshelly: While I agree, the merit of a book isn't determined by its length, we all have external lives and commitments, and having a long book to read can be a problem for some people, especially if they first have to wait their turn at the library. So keeping track of the pages (and the cost), and factoring that into our choices, helps more people participate. And that's a good thing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little help for The Steerswoman would be appreciated. While the two current leaders are fine books, one I absolutely won't read again. Too dark and I really don't want to go there. Plus, we should all have read it at some time in our past, so how about trying something new? With a premise and a POV that I think you'll find interesting.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A little help for The Steerswoman would be appreciated. While the two current leaders are fine books, one I absolutely won't read again. Too dark and I really don't want to go there. Plus, we should all have read it at some time in our past, so how about trying something new? With a premise and a POV that I think you'll find interesting.
I agree. One is too dark and the other has no audiobook in the UK. I am rooting for The Steerswoman as well.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We need more votes for The Door into Summer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't help but think that issybird will be voting at 11:59!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We need more votes for The Door into Summer.
It would have won if you had voted for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I can't help but think that issybird will be voting at 11:59!
She didn't but I did.

And no, I didn't change my vote just to make it a 3-way tie, that's just a pleasant bonus. I plan on reading any of the winners but Brave New World and Door into Summer I will have to force myself to start.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

She didn't -- rumour has it she's taking a vacation. But Dazrin saved us and gave us a 3-way.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that 9 is many votes with 24 voters.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
There weren't any run-away options this time around that is for sure. But hopefully that is more because people liked most of the options rather than liking none of the options. I know I was willing to read most of the nominated titles.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've posted the run-off poll. Since there are more than two choices, it is multiple-choice.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote