Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM   #2581
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Books on my wishlist no longer go on sale. Ever. Not one.

You obviously have exquisite taste. Some authors do seem to never be on ebooks at all at all, or only in USA on ebooks, or only in USA cheap.

I do check my list daily, just in case, and the bargain section here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:53 PM   #2582
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I do check my list daily, just in case, and the bargain section here.
I still check my list daily, but it's gotten to the point where it doesn't seem worth even that minimal effort because there's never any change at all. Every now and then I purge a few books that have never gotten cheaper and I'm obviously not willing to pay the price, or I would have done so by now (we're talking years, in some cases). Oh, well. It's not as if I don't have plenty to read, but I must say I hae me doots that anyone's buying at some prices.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 05:05 PM   #2583
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've taken to using eReaderIQ watch lists over wish lists, since that way I get an e-mail whenever a book goes on sale, and I don't have to check my wish list every day.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:08 PM   #2584
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've taken to using eReaderIQ watch lists over wish lists, since that way I get an e-mail whenever a book goes on sale, and I don't have to check my wish list every day.
The trouble with eReaderIQ is that it only checks prices on Amazon, not Kobo...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:43 PM   #2585
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You know, I'm sure it is something I did, but I no longer get emails from eReaderIQ. I just have to go to the site daily. I've marked them as not spam and there are not emails from them in the spam file. I just appear not to get them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 05:45 PM   #2586
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's easy. Add some Open Road Media titles to your wishlist. Those babies go on sale like clockwork.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:21 PM   #2587
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Since I tend to buy wishlist books when they go on sale, it tends to weed them out and I'm left with the never-on-sale offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
If you have Kobo marketing emails enabled, they'll email you for the wishlist sales.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 PM   #2588
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's easy. Add some Open Road Media titles to your wishlist. Those babies go on sale like clockwork.
Heh. Aside from the notion that price creates the want (which I've finally got over and don't want to poke that bear, oh, no), the Open Road Media books are available at Freading, and I never need to buy something I can borrow for free.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:19 PM   #2589
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Kobo usually reflects Amazon sales, and when it doesn't, you can price match if you're so inclined.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:22 PM   #2590
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, I'm sure it is something I did, but I no longer get emails from eReaderIQ.
How many books are you tracking? I wonder if there's an upper limit. I usually use the author tracking feature if an author has multiple books I want, and I only track a specific book if the author hasn't written anything else I want to read. This keeps the number of books I'm tracking way down, but sadly it also prevents me from setting a price ceiling, so I get e-mails about $15 books being on sale for $12 and the like, but so far, the e-mail notifications are still working properly, and the list of books I'm tracking is pretty small compared to the list of authors.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:48 PM   #2591
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What ever happened to qualified searches like we had over 20 years ago, like using AND, OR, NOT and brackets, not just quotes?
+1 to that. Google drives me mad spouting non-hits noted missing $search_strimng
If ANY of my specs isn't fulfilled it's NOTa a hit seems to be a rule forgotten.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:08 PM   #2592
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Google no longer exists to show you relevant search results. Google exists to match your searches with advertisers who are selling products marginally similar to whatever you searched for.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #2593
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm expecting Google/Bing to follow in Amazon's path soon. I was looking for a part and checked Amazon. Put in the manufacturer, part name and part number. The top 67% of the results page was advertising which vaguely matched what I was looking for.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:13 PM   #2594
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Google no longer exists to show you relevant search results. Google exists to match your searches with advertisers who are selling products marginally similar to whatever you searched for.
Also, google any tech problem and get generic "help" pages that are basically:

1. Reboot.
2. Clear temporary files.
3. Run sfc /scannow.
4. Install and run a proprietary (and definitely not dodgy) Windows Repair.exe
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:02 AM   #2595
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Yes, ugh, or even worse: AI generated garbage.
Reviews are also mostly useless - autogenerated pages with product descriptions copied from a seller's site, and affiliate links.

I've stopped using Google, but even with search engines which haven't sold out, the good content is hard to find.

I'd like a law which required autogenerated content to be clearly marked, in a way that let search engines filter them out.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote