Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwalker View Post
So you would like me too double click on the Calibre icon and wait 10 minutes for it to open, and then choose the prefs option to restart in debug mode?
FWIW: I interpreted that as seeking confirmation.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:12 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
So you would like me too double click on the Calibre icon and wait 10 minutes for it to open, and then choose the prefs option to restart in debug mode?
Yes .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:16 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
According to the debug log you posted calibre is starting in 10 seconds not 10 minutes.

If that log was generated by using "restart in debug mode" then I am out of ideas. I dont see how debug mode could possibly decrease startup time. All it does is log extra things.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #19
jeffwalker
jeffwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yes, the restart in debug mode is quick. But double clicking the Calibre icon takes minutes for Calibre to open. Just tried it again, it took 8 minutes to open this time. Makes no sense to me either.

This is happening only with v7.x. v6.29.0 opens almost instantly.

Also, if I run calibre v7.x from a terminal it opens almost instantly.

Weird!
jeffwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd wonder what are the properties of the icon?

Create an icon and browse to calibre.exe and set startup directory to whatever it should be.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You were using the desktop icon?

Quoth got me thinking , (a new kind of malware attack?)
Does it take as long if you use the Start Menu entry?

Open a command prompt: Type Path <enter>
Look for oddities (I had one become crazy long)

Code:
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #22
jeffwalker

Hey guys. I'm on an iMac using macOS Sonoma (3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5) but thanks for trying to help.

You will be pleased to hear that I have found what is causing the problem. It's an app called Default Folder which I have been using on my Macs for more than 20 years, way before even Mac OS X. It is opened as a login item. Turns out that Calibre v7.x won't play nicely with Default Folder, whereas Calibre v6.x does. The solution is to exclude Calibre from using Default Folder.

Now all I've got to figure out is why the window size is not being saved and/or restored when opening Calibre.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:20 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Open a command prompt: Type Path <enter>
Look for oddities (I had one become crazy long)

Code:
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
Certainly I'd worry if that was my path on a Mac or Linux

I admit I was thinking of mad stuff I'd put in Icon properties on Windows XP explorer Icon short cut. Like
Code:
 %windir%\Explorer.exe /e,/root,Magrat /select,P:\scribe

Last edited by Quoth; 12-17-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 06:52 PM   #24
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, Qt 6.5.x has many many issues with Accessibility related code or (code that uses Accessibility features) in macOs that have been made even worse in Sonoma. There are many Qt related Accessibility bugs that are just now being fixed in time for Qt 6.6.2 which is due to be released in January.

Does Default Folder interface with other software using macOS accessibility api's? Ie. does it sit in the system tray when running (upper right hand corner of screen)?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:05 AM   #25
jeffwalker

Default Folder puts an icon in the toolbar along with all the others, and it can also be added to any Finder window.

It's no problem excluding Calibre from using Default Folder because Calibre forces its own file requester anyway. I wish it wouldn't do that, but it is no big deal.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:22 PM   #26
hallta
hallta began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Also happens in Ventura.....window size potential fix

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm on an iMac using macOS Sonoma (3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5) but thanks for trying to help.

Now all I've got to figure out is why the window size is not being saved and/or restored when opening Calibre.
FYI...I was having the same problem in Ventura and the "exclude Calibre from Default Folder X" fixed it. Thanks jeffwalker for finding this.

@jeffwalker ... I also had the "window size" problem. When I individually edited a book it would take up the whole screen every time. While Calibre was closed I deleted /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.calibre-ebook.ebooks-edit.plist
and it was recreated when I started the Calibre. I didn't notice any difference in the content of the file after recreation but it fixed the problem.
There is also a com.calibre-ebook.ebook-viewer.plist that might fix your problem with window size at startup.
hallta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:51 PM   #27
pixeljammer
pixeljammer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:

You will be pleased to hear that I have found what is causing the problem. It's an app called Default Folder which I have been using on my Macs for more than 20 years, way before even Mac OS X. It is opened as a login item. Turns out that Calibre v7.x won't play nicely with Default Folder, whereas Calibre v6.x does. The solution is to exclude Calibre from using Default Folder.

Thanks very much for posting this. Saved me a ton of time.
pixeljammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sonoma