Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Dealing with updates

Hope springs eternal! Will this be the update that fixes that #$&*%^ problem?
Onyx appears to be releasing updates around four times a year for current products.
If you're running stock this probably doesn't cause many hiccups.
If you're a whole-hearted modder it probably brings a bit of dread too.
"Darn, I have to patch the boot image, rebuild sepolicy, patch a whole lot of stuff..."
Ok, there is also the simple fact of downloading 1.5 GB which may be a mountain for some.

As much as I make notes and have makefiles to do all the stuff, it seems that every step forward (update) is also a step backwards.
I updated my Poke3 to 3.2.4 on October 18 and it's taken me until now to say, "Yup, I fixed it all".

And you?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Jailbroken Kindles and Kobo Readers need some updating for every firmware update for patches and other things. It's not Unique to Onyx that you have to redo customization for a new firmware release.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
So, acknowledging that updating is a universal problem, let's move on.

Surprisingly, in 1.5 GB of an Onyx update, not every single byte has changed! Big chunks of it stay the same although their relative position within a container has. It's very easy to come up with a mod that references some absolute address. Example: In framework.jar change the data in classes2.dex at offset 0x2eebfc to 0x000e. In the mod for the next update that 0x000e will be the same, but the 0x2eebfc will probably be different.

One way of dealing with this is to manually search for each new update where the place is to be modified.

Another way is to automatically search for the right spot. This is often done for text files where it's easier to identify similar sections in the stock and the patch. In many executable or binary files there are often offsets or references that change radically with slight updates.

With some types of files there are indications where everything goes and you can use these as reference points to the area that you want to modify. Many executable files have symbol tables. If I know where "onyx_hall_probe" is, I know that I want to fix the spot 0xe4 past that. Of course, this presumes that there has not been wholesale changes to the area of interest. This is very often true.

So, we have patching as a two step procedure. 1) Find all the symbols, 2) Verify and modify the places of interest at an offset from a symbol.

Finding symbols is a bit different for a kernel, an ELF file, a Dex file (from a jar or apk) or a generic binary file. There are tools for each of them, respectively: kallsyms.exe, elfview.exe, dexdump.exe, findtext.exe.

I've also been working on a tool called kpatch.exe that tries to streamline the second step of this procedure, the actual verification and patching. Even in a 64 bit world modifications are 8 bit (text sections), 16 bit (smali code and Thumb), 32 bit (ARM and ARM64). Usually there are things you want to check if you have the right spot.

So, in the end you have a script, batch file or a makefile that throws together a bunch of commands that do all the modification that you desire. Admittedly it is a bit messier than one would like, but it gets the job done.

Code:
C:\>make framework
adb pull /system/framework/framework.jar
/system/framework/framework.jar: 1 file pulled, 0 skipped. 81.8 MB/s (27916979 bytes in 0.326s)
unzip framework.jar *.dex
dexdump classes2.dex /cKeyboardEntryMap > c2.sym
kpatch classes2.dex c2.sym poke3.kpc Keypad
Profile #2: Keypad
002eebec generateMap
002eebfc 001b -> 000e
002eebfe 092e -> 0000
002eec00 0001 -> 0000
002eec02 2071 (ok)
Applied 3 patches
zip /r. /n fw.jar classes.dex classes2.dex classes3.dex
zipalign -f 4 fw.jar framework.jar
del c2.sym classes.dex classes2.dex classes3.dex fw.jar
Of course, there are other ways to patch a jar. You can disassemble with apktool, text edit the smali (or use mergesmali.exe), then build it again with apktool. This is a bit more intrusive. Also, currently there are problems with using apktool on Android 10 system core files and it just won't work.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
If you need any testers, let me know!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
updates