Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
kunsttyv
kunsttyv began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Refresh screen in A2 mode

Hi everyone!

I recently bought the Onyx Boox Note and I couldn't be happier. My two main uses are the following:

1. Read pdfs/e-books <--- works perfectly, no complains
2. Write stuff <--- some minor issues, see below

Since long I've been craving a distraction free digital typewriter, and with the Note I believe I've finally found it. I pair it up with the Apple Magic Keyboard via bluetooth, and fire up the iA Writer (3rd party app) which syncs directly to Google Drive. Full screen. No distractions. I can write for hours without eye strain, it's perfectly portable, the battery lasts and lasts, and I can take my typewriter outside.

The only thing is that I have to use the A2 mode for sufficient responsiveness, and the ghosting becomes quite apparent after some writing/scrolling in the document, at which point I would love to just force a screen refresh and keep on writing. So:

* Is there a keyboard command for refreshing the screen?
* If not, do any of you know if there's something I could do to the operating system to create such a key binding?

And one more minor thing: when I first open iA Writer it will open in full screen mode, which is desirable. If I then switch apps and go back to iA Writer later on, it will no longer be full screen. The only solution I've found is to close the app and open it again. Is there something I'm missing here?

All the best!
kunsttyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
kunsttyv

I’m bumping this in case someone who didn’t see it last time knows the answer.

Is it possible to refresh the screen on an Onyx Boox by a keyboard command?
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
the only way I know to make a refresh, is changing to normal mode and then moving back to A2
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
I have also found that iA Writer on the Boox Note is about as close as one can get to the hypothetical "Prose" described here: https://medium.com/this-should-exist...s-4182a62d63b2

However, I have also struggled with the screen refresh problem in A2 mode. The only solution I have found is to not use the app in full screen mode; that way, one can use the status bar to quickly switch to normal mode and back again, thus refreshing the screen. Hope this helps!
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Having spent much of the morning working in iA Writer on the Note, it occurs to me that there are two ways this problem could (ideally) be solved. One would be, as the OP suggests, to have a keyboard shortcut to refresh the screen. The other—and this would solve other problems too—would be to be able to set a keyboard shortcut to switch between full-screen and non-full-screen mode (or simply be able to drag or swipe from the top of the screen to do this.) Is this possible?
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=25

This floating tool might be helpful.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunsttyv View Post
* Is there a keyboard command for refreshing the screen?
I had encountered a similar problem years ago, spending very many hours per week on the Onyx i86 using Kingsoft Office, oh sweet were the times. I was about to making some confusion with a further problem, that of blinking (I suppose the software you are using does not make a cursor blink).

For the refresh, I wrote an app that presented a white (or black?) fullscreen and exited soon after, called through a [CMD]+[R] through the QuickLaunchSettings.

This is fairly simple - but It would be more clean to do as per what follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunsttyv View Post
* If not, do any of you know if there's something I could do to the operating system to create such a key binding?
More than on the operating system, you could modify that app you are using, injecting the Onyx SDK, which contains the refresh function, to be called through some interaction with the modified application.

Last edited by mdp; 09-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=25

This floating tool might be helpful.
Has this been updated at all, and do you think we will have an update for 1.9.1 with the disable capacitive layer icon being included?

Many thanks
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
In many apps the hamburger key on the device, which should open app menu, does screen refresh.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
In many apps the hamburger key on the device, which should open app menu, does screen refresh.
yeah, after pressing for 5 seconds, but that's a bit of a break of the workflow he is looking for.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
kunsttyv

Bumping this more than a year later.

Is there some new information on this? Maybe some software update to make it easier? I’m still looking for a keybord shortcut to switch between normal mode and A2 mode.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
kunsttyv

Wow I just found it myself by pure chance: F11 toggles on and off A2. Amazing!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #13
kunsttyv

I'm very happy with writing in A2 mode and then hit F11 twice now and then to remove ghosting.

But now the issue is that I cannot hide the top status bar while inside the iA Writer app.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for hiding the top status/menu bar. Or to force an app into full screen mode?