Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
philglen
philglen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Printed books already read

Hi all,
I am new to EBooks and Calibre and this is my first post.

I always have trouble remembering which printed books I have read and have been guilty of buying the same book twice ( admittedly several years apart)
Is there any easy way of adding a list of previously read books so you can check before buying new ones?
Cheers
Philglen
philglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by philglen View Post
Hi all,

I always have trouble remembering which printed books I have read and have been guilty of buying the same book twice ( admittedly several years apart)
Is there any easy way of adding a list of previously read books so you can check before buying new ones?
Cheers
Philglen
Yes! Under add book, pick add empty book then edit metadata for title and author you want to enter, if you get the author and title correct you can add metadata and covers to get description and cover. Then add appropriate column to indicate read or to read, you can also do the same to add a wish list if you want.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Philglen
in addition to MaggieMe

a 2 stage operation
in Preferences: Behavior
there is a box "Tags to add" We have to do this way as this is the only field we can control this way). type in a Unique-unused Tag name eg 17new

Now use Add from ISBN section of Add books (whips out trusty barcode scanner, copies an pasts the list of ISBN's from a spreadsheet or doc)

Now use the Tag Browser or search bar to Find "17new" Tags
Select All
Bulk edit Meta-data and have it mark your Custom user 'read' field

Apply
Now set Tags to Remove: to "17new"
OK (we just got rid of the temporary marker tags)

Go back and remove the Tags to add in preferences(or it will happen for any book added in the future).

Developers: would it be easy to have a Add tag: that is 1) part of the Add ISBN dialog 2)the Value (remembered) only applies when using Add ISBN?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
feel free to open a ticket requesting the feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
feel free to open a ticket requesting the feature.

Thanks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
philglen
philglen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Yes! Under add book, pick add empty book then edit metadata for title and author you want to enter, if you get the author and title correct you can add metadata and covers to get description and cover. Then add appropriate column to indicate read or to read, you can also do the same to add a wish list if you want.
Thanks Maggie-Me.
It worked a treat.
philglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Quote:
Thanks Maggie-Me.
It worked a treat.
glad to hear it
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote