Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-06-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
jammyjammy
jammyjammy began at the beginning.

Device: mac
Lightbulb Feature Request: Show the whole sentence of Search Result

When displaying search results, is it possible to display the complete sentence in which it is located? Maybe like this,

Click image for larger version

Name:	JOvufl2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	207421

This way it's more readable and you can get more information just by looking at the search results.
Thanks a lot

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2024 at 05:48 AM. Reason: thumbnail an OVERSIZE image
jammyjammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:36 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
EPUBReader doesn't support searching. So, I guess you are talking about another reader. If so, please either move this thread to the right forum or close it.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 03:50 AM   #3
jammyjammy

I am so sorry. Thank you so much for reminding! I mistake it for the ebook-viewer in calibre. What should I do to close this thread? I cannot find the button anywhere
Old 04-08-2024, 03:55 AM   #4
jammyjammy

Lightbulb Feature Request: Show the whole sentence of Search Result

When displaying search results, is it possible to display the complete sentence in which it is located? Maybe like this,

This way it's more readable and you can get more information just by looking at the search results.
Thanks a lot

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2024 at 05:50 AM. Reason: remove image
Old 04-08-2024, 03:57 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make the search panel wider and you will see more context, or undock it and make it a separate window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	36
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	207418  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 04:43 AM   #6
jammyjammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make the search panel wider and you will see more context, or undock it and make it a separate window.
Thanks for replying! Yeah I know that I can make the search panel wider and also make it a separate window. But I think it's still not quite readable, there are some irrelevant information in each line and I need some time to find the beginning of the sentence in which each search result appears. But if each search result is presented in its whole sentence, each result will be more clear and distinct, easier to get more information and to compare the search results simply by looking at the search panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 4.19.32 PM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	207420  
Old 04-08-2024, 05:35 AM   #7
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I have moved it to the Calibre viewer forum.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:53 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice

Threads Merged

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:09 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry doesnt seem better to me. Using more whitespace just means eyes have to move farther to scan and limiting to a single sentence just means there is less contextual information to choose from.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:18 AM   #10
jammyjammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sorry doesnt seem better to me. Using more whitespace just means eyes have to move farther to scan and limiting to a single sentence just means there is less contextual information to choose from.
But even if I make the search panel wider, it usually shows only part of its sentence instead of the entire sentence. Is there a way to customize it?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It shows you ~60 words around the search result, and no there isnt anyway to customize it.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:55 PM   #12
jammyjammy

OK...Maybe it is more about how unique and distinct it looks for each search result. It's like forming an index, but according to the word you search.