Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a favorite ereader brand?
I have only ever used one brand and am not interested in any others 19 13.10%
I have only ever used one brand, but will probably try others in the future 15 10.34%
I have tried several brands and prefer one of them 62 42.76%
I have tried several brands and have more than one favorite 29 20.00%
I have tried several brands and my favorites change constantly 6 4.14%
I use several brands and have no favorite among them 10 6.90%
I don't use eink, never been interested 0 0%
I don't use eink, tried it and didn't like it 3 2.07%
I don't use eink, but will probably try it someday 1 0.69%
I prefer paper books over ebooks 0 0%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I have used:

Sony PRS-300
Nook Simple touch
Kobo mini and glow light

Various kindles.

I prefer the kindle. Admittedly I am more invested in the kindle ecosystem and have spent more time with their hardware. Given the number of kindle books be bought over the years I would find it difficult to switch to another e-reader brand. Yes I know there are ways to use kindle books on non kindle devices but it’s not worth the hassle for little gain.
I had a Sony T1 and Nook Simple Touch. At the time, they were clearly superior to the Kindle.

I would recommend using 'the ways' to make your Kindle purchases portable. It's empowering to have your digital books cataloged and available for conversion or other use cases that Amazon does not support, and be able to purchase or acquire content elsewhere and prepare it for Kindle. I estimate it took a couple of hundred hours (spread out over several months) to import my library initially, but with that done, it takes very little time to keep up with purchases.

I probably will never switch completely away from Kindle platform, but it will always be a matter of choice, rather than being effectively locked in. I trust Amazon, but now I don't have to.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
For me not being in control of my purchased books would be totally intolerable. Before I bought my first ebook, I looked up DRM, Alf and Calibre; had it not been possible to remove the DRM, I would never have bought a single ebook, at least not with DRM. This view has not changed in the 12 years I've been buying and reading ebooks.

I know most people don't want the bother and prefer to leave control over their libraries to whatever store the books were bought from; others never reread and don't care what happens to the books they've already read. And then there are those who prefer to liberate and back up everything they buy. I reread a lot and I want the freedom to read my books on whatever device might catch my interest; I couldn't stand to be tied to any one ecosystem. YMMV, as always.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 09:56 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The new InkPad 4 is the 8" (well 7.8") eReader I'm most interested in, should I get the urge. Buttons are on the bottom, which I like (as opposed to asymmetrical Kobo). The forthcoming Nook GlowLight 4 Plus is priced well, but I think I would miss the more flexible PocketBook platform, which is a lot more welcoming of side-loaded content (including AZW3).
I'm happy to hear about the Era's screen. I was seriously looking into buying one but wanted to buy from Newegg again (and they took forever to get them in, now they're not even a PocketBook dealer at all). By the time they did get them I had read reports about the screen and lost interest. (Just as well, I've got way too many eReaders.)

Like you, I like the shape of InkPad 4 better -- just a bigger version of my HD 3 (but I don't like the InkPad's 7.8" screen size). I also like the lighting from the bottom up rather than from the side. Agree on the flexibility of the PocketBooks, that's one of the main reasons I like them more than the others (that and built-in ADE).

I considered installing KoReader on the PocketBook, but I like the built-in application just fine. And I always worry that KoReader will use more battery. (My HD 3 has held its charge extremely well.)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:34 AM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I went with "I have tried several brands and prefer one of them", although "several" is something of an exaggeration in this case (in fact just two).

I like Kobo, both the reader and the bookstore. I have ... principled/political/prejudicial reasons for not buying from Amazon, and in Australia the other options have been quite limited. I liked the Sony e-reader I had first, but of course it's nothing like what's on offer now, wherever you shop.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #35
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Kobo. Reasons are numerous, but at the end of the day they're what just feels right for the Linux Enthusiast in me.

With that said, the Nooks look like fine devices, and I do sometimes wonder if I could be better helping keep B&N afloat by switching to Nook. But, who knows--there's always the chance that I'll try one out when my Clara HD finally gives up the ghost.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 03:33 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
With that said, the Nooks look like fine devices, and I do sometimes wonder if I could be better helping keep B&N afloat by switching to Nook.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't use Calibre for metadata management and could put up with the software that's far less customizable than the Kobo software.

Of course, you could root it, if that's something you'd feel comfortable doing, and then use any Android reading app you like.

I just sold my one and only Nook. The hardware was good, the software not so much. That said, many people here use their Nooks pretty happily. They're just less fussy than I.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #37
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kindle Scribe is by far my favorite ereader followed by the KOBO Sage and BOOX Note Air 2 Plus

I am disappointed in the KOBO Elipsa 1st gen. The pen kinda sucks, no real templates for notes. Just feels clunky next to the other two.

I like my pink nook that came out last year. i still buy Nook books to support B&N as a real store. I'll buy sequels of books that are already on the device mainly

Last edited by HLS; 08-26-2023 at 05:20 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:33 AM   #38
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
I started out with a Pocket PC using some microsoft software and lit books.
Then went with Sony, i really liked my PRS-350 but eventually it died,
Next was Nook, I had a couple of those but i never like B&N. I liked the ereaders them selves.
I had some early Kindles but I eventually traded them in, I currently have two PW a 10th generation and one from 2015 that I guess is generation 1?
I usually jailbreak my kindles to make calibre easier to use. Without that they would be a lot less useful.
I get the kindles because they are easy to get and usually cheap on sales.
I have though about getting a Kobo and maybe will someday.

If it gets to the point that I can't jailbreak the kindle, I will get something else.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:26 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My current reader is by default my favourite.

First I loved my Franklin Ereader
Then loved that PocketPC
Then e-ink came out and I bought my first very much loved BeBook Mini
That got replaced with the perfect Sony
Then my very much loved Kobo H2O
Naturally, the Auro One was the One
But it finally is in the process of being replaced by the Pocketbook Color 2.

I've had a few other readers in between, but those were never my "current reader".
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:03 AM   #40
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
My first was a Palm Pilot III with 2 megabytes of storage.
I kept my guitar transcriptions on that.
When you turned on the backlight it went from black text on green to green on black.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #41
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx. I like the flexibility.

Ive had a Kindle (good harware, shite walled garden etc), Kobo (open device, bit I found hardware poor), Nook (ups and downs, great screen and back light, dreadful software, wonderful simple touch when rooted), Sony was good.

So its Onyx because of the Android OS. If Onyx died, it would be Kobo, with Koreader. The Libra 2 is very nice. The hardware is now very good. Id happily get a PW5 if I could easily root it and add koreader.

But its Onyx. No competetion for me. Only trouble is theyre hard to get, expensive, and no option to return. But Ive done ok so far.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:05 AM   #42
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I currently really love my Pocketbook HD2. It has buttons, front light, mircoSD card slot, easy to mange with Calibre, and it's sturdy.

I loved the Sony PRS line of readers too, I would have kept buying them if Sony hadn't stopped making them. They had in my opinion the best user interface for managing ebooks on the device.

I'm not sure about the newer Pocketbook readers, I'm not happy they took away the microSD card and the versions with the microSD card slot have a lower DPI.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:12 AM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm not sure about the newer Pocketbook readers, I'm not happy they took away the microSD card and the versions with the microSD card slot have a lower DPI.
The Pocketbook Color has both the SD-card slot and 300 DPI (black and white; the color screen is probably less).
Old 10-11-2023, 12:45 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Pocketbook Color has both the SD-card slot and 300 DPI (black and white; the color screen is probably less).
It's a Kaleido screen so the colour resolution is 100 PPI.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:54 PM   #45
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Long ago I read books, and the New York Times, on Palm devices. Ever since then — Kindle for books.

Maybe I would like Kobo better. I almost think I would. But basic Kindle eInk devices do the job, and are too competitive in price — as today in the U.S. for the Kindle Kids bundle with case and 2 year warranty — for me to switch.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote