Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@jackie_w: The first error was indeed a bug, now fixed:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ea928ace38d1c7

As for the second, I can probably add support for exporting to BMP3 -- it never occurred to me that anyone would be using it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually looking through the docs of both Qt and Pillow, I dont see an easy way to export to SMP3, BMP4 is possible. Is that ok?
Advert
Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually looking through the docs of both Qt and Pillow, I dont see an easy way to export to SMP3, BMP4 is possible. Is that ok?
I'd never heard of BMP4 until your post.

Short answer, I don't know, and without access to a working Pocketbook I've no way of finding out. My gut-feel would be 'No' given how finicky the PBs were about what BMP3s they were prepared to display.

Even if my PB360/Win7 combo was working it wouldn't be any guarantee that a later model PB/Linux combo would work. When the Linux problem was reported, my own PB360 was working fine with the same save_cover_data_to solution (but with BMP3 output) all the Sony/Kindle/Nook devices were using.

I don't know how much effort you want to put into looking for a solution. I don't know how many PB users use the Copy Cover plugin. Based on the number who ever posted in the main thread I'd say very few. However, as I'm not really sure why anyone at all would still need to use the plugin with the current set of eink devices, I'm hard-pressed to understand why there have been 33,000+ downloads since the calibre v2 release I haven't had any need for it myself since 2011 so it's in maintenance-only mode as far as I'm concerned.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Let's leave it for the moment. If after the next release lots of people complain, we can revisit.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid,

Are you planning to release updated beta installs before full release?
Advert
Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If any more bugs are discovered (other than saving to gif via the legacy interface) sure, I'll post updated betas. Let's see how davidfor gets along porting the Generate Cover plugin. I might need to make some changes to help him.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I had ten minutes, so I ported Generate Cover. Note I have only ported the code, not tested it (beyond that it runs). So someone that uses it should test it. Note that this plugin will not work with non-beta/older versions of calibre, as I lack the time/motivation to implement backward compatibility. If someone wants to implement backward comapatibilty the easiest way would be rename draw.py to draw2.py and conditionally import it based on calibre version.

EDIT : never mind, I implemented backwards compatibility as well
Attached Files
File Type: zip Generate Cover.zip (178.7 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-13-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 AM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Out of interest, if I was writing a brand new personal plugin and I wanted to do some image read/edit/save work, would I want to start with a different class than the legacy Image from calibre.utils.magick?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the functions in

calibre.utils.img
Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 AM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks I'll try and educate myself.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Feel free to ask if you have questions, I can use them to add documentation where needed to that module.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #27
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I had ten minutes, so I ported Generate Cover. Note I have only ported the code, not tested it (beyond that it runs). So someone that uses it should test it. Note that this plugin will not work with non-beta/older versions of calibre, as I lack the time/motivation to implement backward compatibility. If someone wants to implement backward comapatibilty the easiest way would be rename draw.py to draw2.py and conditionally import it based on calibre version.

EDIT : never mind, I implemented backwards compatibility as well
I tried out all the options I usually use, even sending a "new" book to device although I didn't think that would be affected either way. Only two things don't work as before. One minor, the other a bit more problematic -- for me anyway.
  1. The text alignment doesn't change. I only noticed because I usually have my custom text right-aligned, and now it remains centered. I tested all the alignments, and they stay centered. (Minor for me)
  2. The colors for the text do not change. Background color and Border color change but Stroke and Fill (for actual Text) do not change. 99% of the time this is fine, but I do have a series of covers that have a darker background, and I need the text to be white, or at least a lighter color. (More problematic for me)

I did change numbers and such for the options I don't usually use, and they seem to do as they should, as best as I can tell.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here you go (note that fill color will work, stroke will not, so I have hidden it).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Generate Cover.zip (179.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #29
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

All seems fine now. Thanks for putting in the extra time and work so quickly.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #30
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Might not be related at all, but I just noticed that since I re-installed Beta version, when I hit 'Edit book', the window grays out, says 'Not Responding' for about 20 to 30 seconds, then runs as usual.

This used to happen once in a while, MAYBE one out of ten, but not with regularity--it could be two or it could be none, whereas now it is every one. If I close one I've edited and immediately re-open, then it might take a bit to open, but it doesn't do the 'Not Responding' (or at least it hasn't happened yet) and it hangs for only about a quarter of the time.