Notices

Old 05-07-2024, 01:43 AM   #1
jjk
Enthusiast
jjk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Kindle Vivlio-Inkpad3
How to convert end-notes to foot-notes

Hi all

Do you know a rather simple way to convert endnotes to footnotes ?
I have an epub with several hundred of notes, all grouped in one html file. When I read that book on Kindle or Kobo, accessing to notes is very slow, probably because all notes are in a single file.
So I would like to move notes at the end of chapters.
Any idea ?
TIA
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 02:01 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk View Post
Hi all

Do you know a rather simple way to convert endnotes to footnotes ?
I have an epub with several hundred of notes, all grouped in one html file. When I read that book on Kindle or Kobo, accessing to notes is very slow, probably because all notes are in a single file.
So I would like to move notes at the end of chapters.
Any idea ?
TIA
Sigil has some footnote related plugins see ==>> Sigil Plugin Index

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:08 AM   #3
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Why do you need them to be at the end of the chapters? You can split each note into its own file and keep them at end of the book. I've seen this in a number of books. To do this:
  • Open the file that contains the notes.
  • Right click > Split at multiple locations. You need to enter regex that splits between notes.

If you need help with the regex, you can post a sample of an endnote here.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:25 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The last ebook I edited which had multiple footnotes in one file, I ending up splitting the file into 5 chunks with ~50 footnotes in each to reduce the size of the individual files without giving each footnote it's individual file.

Since I did this as a manual process, I opened the original file, divided the line count by 5, went to the 80% mark, pasted a Sigil split marker ( <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /> ), went to 60%, 40% and 20% and repeated the paste. I then did hit f6 to do a split on markers and it was done. The only issue I ran into was that while this looked good with pop-up footnotes, for non-pop-up footnotes, I ended up copying 6 or 7 footnotes so they were 1-to-1 and not the original many-to-1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:58 PM   #5
jjk
Enthusiast
jjk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Kindle Vivlio-Inkpad3
Tank you for your quick answers.
I hadn't thought of splitting up the very large endnotes file. So that's what I did, then replaced the fragments at the end of the relevant files. And Calibre recalculated the links all by itself. It's magical.
Thanks again
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote