Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Books not following series order

Hi! Kobo Libra H2O here.

I'm trying to add these seven books which are part of a series. I have them set up as part of a series in Calibre, from 1.00 to 6.50 (last book is a collection of short stories, book 7 is coming).

I transfer them as KEPUB, no problem. I have done this for several other series. On the second sync the series information appears and the order numbers are correct.

But when I enter My Collections view and order them by series... the order comes out wrong. 4, 6, 6.5, 1, 2, 3, 5.

To be clear, on top I set "Sort: Series" and "Filter: All". All books are displaying on Kobo the correct "SeriesTitle - #" information. But the reader is not displaying them in the correct order.

This is the only series I'm having this problem with. I might be overlooking something obvious but I've done the same things for other seven book series, with no problem.
gorman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which firmware are you running? There is a new series tab that you can use instead of series based collections. This came about in the 4.20 firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which firmware are you running? There is a new series tab that you can use instead of series based collections. This came about in the 4.20 firmware.
Device is running 4.18.1337.

Don't think this should be the problem, though, otherwise all the other collections would have the same issue, wouldn't they?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
gorman42

Ok, updated to 4.21.15015. Removed books from the device, redid the whole series metadata in calibre, starting from scratch.

Loaded the books on the device. Now they appear correctly ordered under Series (new menu entry) but still in the wrong order under Collections. Which might be a clue? Metadata is the same, Series reads it correctly, Collections does not.

What's the difference between Series and Collections from a logical point of view? I don't get it.

Edit: ok, Collections do not have a reading order. They're just a bunch of books that you can choose to thematically link for whatever reason. Correct?

Last edited by gorman42; 05-22-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Ok, updated to 4.21.15015. Removed books from the device, redid the whole series metadata in calibre, starting from scratch.

Loaded the books on the device. Now they appear correctly ordered under Series (new menu entry) but still in the wrong order under Collections. Which might be a clue? Metadata is the same, Series reads it correctly, Collections does not.
Quote:
What's the difference between Series and Collections from a logical point of view? I don't get it.
Series and collections have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

The Series tab is built from series information in the database. It doesn't use the the details that are displayed, but, a separate id and number.

The collections are built by you. You create a collection and add books to it. But, I assume you are doing this from calibre. In that case, you are deciding which column will supply the names of the collections and the books that go in them.
Quote:
Edit: ok, Collections do not have a reading order. They're just a bunch of books that you can choose to thematically link for whatever reason. Correct?
No, collections do not have a reading order. There are several sort options, which are the same as elsewhere. From memory, the "Date Added" sort is the order they were added to the collection.

And yes, they are books you have associated together for some reason.

Using Series sorting in a collection should work. And, I can't find a case where it doesn't on my devices. I would expect that if the books all show in the same Series in the Series tab, and sort correctly there, they should sort correctly in a collection. Unless there is something strange in the series name such as a non-breaking space instead of a normal space, an accented character or something like that. Or, do they have the same author? The Series tab doesn't use the author in building it or sorting the books. The collections and other lists might. I don't remember if I have ever tested this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the new series tab, you don't need to have series based collections. A number of us have removed the series based collection and use the series tab instead.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
gorman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the new series tab, you don't need to have series based collections. A number of us have removed the series based collection and use the series tab instead.
Yes, this is what I ended up doing. It makes sense.

I'll remain with the unsolved mistery of why that specific series was not ordering correctly as a collection but... I think everybody has better things to do than trying to solve something that does not require a solution anymore.

Thanks to everybody chiming in, updating firmware and using the new series view solved the problem, although not directly.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Yes, this is what I ended up doing. It makes sense.

I'll remain with the unsolved mistery of why that specific series was not ordering correctly as a collection but... I think everybody has better things to do than trying to solve something that does not require a solution anymore.

Thanks to everybody chiming in, updating firmware and using the new series view solved the problem, although not directly.
Happy to help. Glad the problem is solved even though in a completely different way then you expected.