Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
icspots
icspots began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
How do you indicate the order of books to be read in a series?

I have just downloaded a 12 set of books that I want to read in a specific order. I can't seem to find anything that will allow a tag or note or anything attached to the cover that would show what number the book is. I ended up going to the first page and adding a note to the last word of the title but this isn't what I would like to do. Has anyone discovered if it is possible to add something to the cover so that you can see it in the library?
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you use calibre, many people use a concept called a plugboard to massage the title of a book to add the series info to it.

Additionaly, the database on the Kobo includes fields for series name and series number. that yet again, calibre can populate.

Additionally, a tool was posted this week that might help. See small tool for filling book library in Kobo Aura. I have no experience though with this tool.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I always rename the book in Calibre. So, book 1 of the 'In Death' series by J.D. Robb is called 'Naked in Death.' I change this in the title field to 'In Death #01: Naked in Death' and then they all sort on my devices.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
icspots
icspots began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I was hoping that I had just missed the page in the user manual for the Arc but I guess I will have to learn something new (Calibre). Thanks.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I always rename the book in Calibre. So, book 1 of the 'In Death' series by J.D. Robb is called 'Naked in Death.' I change this in the title field to 'In Death #01: Naked in Death' and then they all sort on my devices.
I do the same, but only in the output file by using a Plugboard. This leaves the Calibre master file with an unchanged title and the series info in only the series field.

The string in the title field of my Plugboard for save to device is:
{series} {series_index:0>2s} {title}
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
RoGuE_StreaK
RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Touch
While I do add the series data in Calibre, I usually cheat and have a master-list "book"; eg. In Death "#0" stays on the front screen on my wife's Touch, just open it up, find the next book, type in two or three letters of the next title into the search box, and it's usually the "first cab off the rank".
On my Touch the oft-referred master-list is the chronological order of Star Wars novels; there's so many sub-series in there that it would take forever to try to figure out what came next.
It's nice to have the series' in shelves, but I personally find it too slow to navigate.

As another cheat, through Calibre you could extract the cover jpgs and hard-code the name of the next book somewhere on it?
RoGuE_StreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
If your reader is a Touch, Glo, Mini, or Aura HD, you can do the following to see the series name and number under the book title on the reader:
  1. Use the Series and Number metadata fields in Calibre to set the series name and number in the series for each book
  2. Go to Preferences / Change Calibre Behaviour, under Advanced select Plugins, expand Device interface plugins, scroll down and select the KoboTouch plugin, and click on Customize plugin
  3. Ensure that "Read metadata from files on device" and "Set series information" are checked and click OK
  4. Delete the books from your reader and re-send them from Calibre

Now, when you view book titles on your reader in the library or shelves, between book title and author name you will see <series name> - <number>. This works for me with Aura HD. I don't have a Touch, Glo, or Mini to test with, but they use the same device interface plugin so I would assume you can set the series information on them in the same way.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
If your reader is a Touch, Glo, Mini, or Aura HD, you can do the following to see the series name and number under the book title on the reader:
  1. Use the Series and Number metadata fields in Calibre to set the series name and number in the series for each book
  2. Go to Preferences / Change Calibre Behaviour, under Advanced select Plugins, expand Device interface plugins, scroll down and select the KoboTouch plugin, and click on Customize plugin
  3. Ensure that "Read metadata from files on device" and "Set series information" are checked and click OK
  4. Delete the books from your reader and re-send them from Calibre

Now, when you view book titles on your reader in the library or shelves, between book title and author name you will see <series name> - <number>. This works for me with Aura HD. I don't have a Touch, Glo, or Mini to test with, but they use the same device interface plugin so I would assume you can set the series information on them in the same way.
One note is that you have to send the books, disconnect, let the books be processed, connect, send the books again (or use davidfor's KoboUtilities to send the metadata), disconnect and let any processing happen before the series data will show up.

Basically, the first processing cycle adds the books to the database so the metadata can be added in the second cycle.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
What would be a cool feature would be to have a field in the DB that could be changed via a function while in shelf view. You would simply reorder your books in the shelf and then save the order. Any new books added to the shelf would be placed at the end of the list ('series' order mode) until you decided to reorder your shelf again. Would be useful for those unable or unwilling to use Calibre and save the back-and-forth otherwise involved.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can fudge the series order using a shelf. One of the sort order is "Date Added". This is the date the book was added to the shelf. If you add the books one at a time to the shelf in the series order, they will appear in the correct order when you use this sort.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
On my Kindle, I add the books to a collection along with a .txt file with a list of the books in the order that they're supposed to be read. As I finish each book I look in the text file to see which one to read next.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
if you don't want to use calibre (and i don't because it just adds a layer of complexity i don't want to deal with) you could just create a text file with the names of the books in order and side-load the file into the reader. when you are ready to pull up the next book in the series, pull up the text file first. it'll tell you where you are and where the next book is. this is a very simple concept that someone else on this forum suggested to me.

i guess twowheels just beat me by two minutes in suggesting the same idea.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have to differ concerning Calibre adding a layer of complexity. I think that the final results obtained by simply downloading a free software package and applying yourself for likely under an hour more than make up having to spend a few minutes on the PC. When you consider how easy it is to restore all your shelves/collections in the event of a firmware reset, or a bad update, it's a magnificent return on your investment in time. Further, the flexibility of how you want things to work both in Calibre and on your reader cannot be beaten.

When you consider all the other features offered by Calibre, especially ebook format translations, ability to manipulate and replace or provide missing covers it really becomes a no-brainer. The best part is that with Peter's shelves sticky it makes even more complex tasks like massaging filenames and setting up shelves a walk in the park.

Last edited by TechniSol; 08-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I have to differ concerning Calibre adding a layer of complexity. I think that the final results obtained by simply downloading a free software package and applying yourself for likely under an hour more than make up having to spend a few minutes on the PC. When you consider how easy it is to restore all your shelves/collections in the event of a firmware reset, or a bad update, it's a magnificent return on your investment in time. Further, the flexibility of how you want things to work both in Calibre and on your reader cannot be beaten.

When you consider all the other features offered by Calibre, especially ebook format translations, ability to manipulate and replace or provide missing covers it really becomes a no-brainer. The best part is that with Peter's shelves sticky it makes even more complex tasks like massaging filenames and setting up shelves a walk in the park.
in order to do what it does, calibre makes copies of your ebooks from their original locations into its own library and then adds additional files. i just don't want to deal with multiple copies of the same book as well as the additional files it creates per book. this becomes a file management issue for me and hence, the complexity. it's just my personal preference. most people don't know and don't care how calibre works, just that it works for them. it's a matter of taste.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@rem376: Many people are more than happy to after adding material to calibre to remove it from elsewhere on their system.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote