Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
skyhopper
skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle PW3
Paperwhite regional FW differences?

Hi All,

A short introduction before I ask my question:

In the past I always read books on my iPad but I decided it was time to finally buy an e-reader with an e-ink display.

I definitely want the new Kindle Paperwhite 3. Because I believe it's the sweet spot between price, quality and features.
The only problem I have is that the e-reader isn't available in my country. I live in Belgium. I can purchase the reader from amazon.com but that would mean I have to pay an additional $60 for shipping and fees and I can only buy the reader without the adds. So I'm looking at a price tag of $200.

Another option is to make use of a service in Germany that fixes a German address for me. I buy the KPW3 from Amazon.de and let it deliver to this address. After it arrives they will forward the package to Belgium.

So here's my question:
Is the firmware the same on all KPW's? Or can I expect a altered firmware for the German market? I prefer a device that's 100% English.

Last edited by skyhopper; 06-29-2015 at 08:16 AM.
skyhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
All PW3s will have the same firmware.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 12:27 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
To elaborate -- any particular Kindle model* will use the same firmware, no matter where the device was delivered from or to.

However, depending on which country's storefront your account is registered to, certain features *may* be enabled/disabled -- at times, certain features were e.g. exclusively for people with U.S. accounts. Take goodreads integration for example.

* -- circa K3 I believe there were "international" devices that at the very least required their own version of the firmware updates. But even then they had the same features -- so it may just have been hardware compatibility, possibly to do with the 3G?

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-30-2015 at 12:30 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
skyhopper
skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.skyhopper could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thank you both for the answers.
Ordered it and I'm very excited to get it in my hands.
I did not buy the 3G model and I'm not planning on using social media. I am just going to use it to read books.

The e-reader will be delivered at the German mailbox service on thursday. After that it will take another 3 days before it arrives at my doorstep.
skyhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
circa K3 I believe there were "international" devices that at the very least required their own version of the firmware updates. But even then they had the same features -- so it may just have been hardware compatibility, possibly to do with the 3G?
It was the Kindle DX; there was a US-only model with a US-only CDMA-based 3G radio. This was replaced by an "International" model which used a GSM radio.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Knew it was something like that. Before my time though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was the Kindle DX; there was a US-only model with a US-only CDMA-based 3G radio. This was replaced by an "International" model which used a GSM radio.
Also the Kindle 2. There was a separate international model. I don't think there was ever an international model of the original Kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also the Kindle 2. There was a separate international model. I don't think there was ever an international model of the original Kindle.
That makes sense, because the DX is essentially a Kindle 2 with a larger screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote