Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Besides Light, what are differences between Paperwhite and basic Kindle

I recently bought the Kindle WP63GW that went on sale in October. I'm not sure what it's usually called. It's the cheapest Kindle. Is it the Kindle 6? The 7th generation Kindle? It's confusing. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Paperwhite for only one reason: the light. We lose power here from time to time, and I'd like to have a Paperwhite, so I would have something to do other than stare into the darkness during power outages.

My question is: Are the Paperwhite and the above described Kindle identical except for the light? My present Kindle runs the 5.6.1 firmware, and it appears that the Paperwhite does as well. If there are other differences, what are they?

TIA.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
The basic Kindle has a resolution of 167 ppi vs. 212 ppi for the Paperwhite. The Paperwhite is a bit heavier than the basic Kindle but both have 4GB of storage. So it appears that better resolution is the other main difference.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
The basic Kindle has a resolution of 167 ppi vs. 212 ppi for the Paperwhite. The Paperwhite is a bit heavier than the basic Kindle but both have 4GB of storage. So it appears that better resolution is the other main difference.
I believe the Paperwhite also has capacitive (sp?) touch instead of using an infrared touch system.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
There is also the firmware version. If you get the PW, you may or may not get the latest fw, which is unjailbreakable as of now. IIRC, All the new basics come with the latest fw and are unjailbreakable.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
And better contrast. The PW2 has an eInk "Carta" screen; the basic Kindle has the older "Pearl" screen. The Carta screen has significantly better contrast.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
Dave329
Connoisseur
Dave329 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And better contrast. The PW2 has an eInk "Carta" screen; the basic Kindle has the older "Pearl" screen. The Carta screen has significantly better contrast.
The KT2 actually seems to have better contrast than PW2 in real life.
Atleast under the floroscent store lighting.
Dave329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Compare the PW to the Fires then you can for a bit more do something other than read when the lights go out. OR if it the light you need get a couple E-Edge lights Ollies has them for $3 5 Below has them for $5 & they can slide between Most cases & the ereader! Don't forget Batteries!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave329 View Post
The KT2 actually seems to have better contrast than PW2 in real life.
Atleast under the floroscent store lighting.
That's what I've noticed also. I think it has something to do with the extra layer that's required to distribute the light.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Compare the PW to the Fires then you can for a bit more do something other than read when the lights go out. OR if it the light you need get a couple E-Edge lights Ollies has them for $3 5 Below has them for $5 & they can slide between Most cases & the ereader! Don't forget Batteries!!
Tablets are completely different beasts in my estimation. My problem with tablets is that I have no other use for them -- but I know that "mileage varies" on this.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Tablets can be nice... but you need to remember to plug them in regularly. I have had a tablet for about a year, and I find it now lasts me about a day of use. In contrast, my e-ink readers last weeks between charges. The latter is useful in an area where there is a risk of an extended power outage.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote