Old 05-07-2024, 12:02 PM   #1
obsessino104
obsessino104 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura N514 stucked in setup

Hi,

I accidentally reseted my Kobo Aura.
I believe its running with FW: 4.19
Now I'm stucked in the wifi connection setup and USB desktop setup that doesn't work.
I've tried placing the new firmware as .kobo on my external sdcard. But It doesn't update.

Any suggestion how to recover it?
Thanks in advance.
obsessino104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:51 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessino104 View Post
Hi,

I accidentally reseted my Kobo Aura.
I believe its running with FW: 4.19
Now I'm stucked in the wifi connection setup and USB desktop setup that doesn't work.
I've tried placing the new firmware as .kobo on my external sdcard. But It doesn't update.

Any suggestion how to recover it?
Thanks in advance.
What I did with my Kobo Mini was to tell Setup to use Kobo Reader for registration (which doesn't work), but gave me access to the Mini, then I copied the newest compatible software to the root directory (via USB from my Linux computer). And then I rebooted the Mini and it updated. (I think it was root where I put the update files... wherever you normally put the firmware when upgrading manually — it's been a while since I've done it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:10 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The update gets unzipped and copied into the .kobo directory. Hidden directory on MacOS and Linux so you need to show them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:56 AM   #4
obsessino104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The update gets unzipped and copied into the .kobo directory. Hidden directory on MacOS and Linux so you need to show them.
I tried it, but doesn't work.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:06 AM   #5
obsessino104

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What I did with my Kobo Mini was to tell Setup to use Kobo Reader for registration (which doesn't work), but gave me access to the Mini, then I copied the newest compatible software to the root directory (via USB from my Linux computer). And then I rebooted the Mini and it updated. (I think it was root where I put the update files... wherever you normally put the firmware when upgrading manually — it's been a while since I've done it.)
kobo showed "connected and charging" on its screen.
But on my PC, I can't see the internal drive visible.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:06 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So on a restart, it did not try to install the new firmware. In which case, you might want to take a look at this message in the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests thread.

I've sent you a PM with the link to the firmware image.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #7
obsessino104

Quote:
So on a restart, it did not try to install the new firmware. In which case, you might want to take a look at this message in the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests thread.

I've sent you a PM with the link to the firmware image.
Im running on macbook, tried creating the image using disk utility but failed.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:23 PM   #8
obsessino104

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2024, 01:01 PM   #9
obsessino104

trying to create the recovery sdcard image using https://williamhartz.medium.com/dupl...s-02d91a7a8681

super slow process....
Old 05-08-2024, 01:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
MacOS is the worst OS ever because of it's really bad default settings. It tries to be helpful and makes a mess more then it helps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:19 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
trying to create the recovery sdcard image using https://williamhartz.medium.com/dupl...s-02d91a7a8681

super slow process....
I would recommend using Balena Etcher. Several MacOS and Linux users have reported success using it to write the .img file to an µSD card.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:20 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
MacOS is the worst OS ever because of it's really bad default settings. It tries to be helpful and makes a mess more then it helps.
Jon, if you can't post useful information, please refrain from posting. Consider this an unofficial warning.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:02 PM   #13
obsessino104

Quote:
I would recommend using Balena Etcher. Several MacOS and Linux users have reported success using it to write the .img file to an µSD card.
Thanks for the kind guidance.
I used your suggested, it flashed the uSD card fine.

I read the uSD, its empty contents.
But in Disk utility, I can see 28.1MB of data in it.

Then I tried to place the flashed uSD card in the slot. Powered Off. Power On, five dots, blinking through the 5dots, Language setup screen.
Do I need to press any button combination to get it load the uSD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2024-05-09-at-7-52-35-AM.png
Views:	9
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	208144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2024-05-09-at-7-53-48-AM.png
Views:	10
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	208145  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-08-2024 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Edited to move oversize images to attachments.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:17 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Then I tried to place the flashed uSD card in the slot. Powered Off. Power On, five dots, blinking through the 5dots, Language setup screen.
Do I need to press any button combination to get it load the uSD?
Did you follow the procedure in the message I linked to. Message #124 in the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests thread?

I seem to remember that in step 14, you have to hold the light button and then the power button to trigger the factory reset that can boot from the external µSD.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:15 AM   #15
obsessino104

Quote:
Did you follow the procedure in the message I linked to. Message #124 in the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests thread?

I seem to remember that in step 14, you have to hold the light button and then the power button to trigger the factory reset that can boot from the external µSD.
I followed the instruction step14:
"Press simultaneusely Light button + Slide the power button to the right"

It will just stuck on 4th Dot.

I searched around and found I could get my kobo into restoration mode by while holding "Light button" + 16x "reset". I managed to get it to the black screen with restore message shown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTtKeadSSNM

But unfortunately, I can't get past the wifi setup or USB setup screen.
back to square one.