Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy in EU?
Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 2 9.09%
Kindle Paperwhite 3 13.64%
Kobo Clara BW 10 45.45%
Other 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2024, 04:33 PM   #16
Frostbite
Enthusiast
Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you conciser a Kindle with a 6.8" screen yet you won't consider a Kobo with a 7" screen?
I don't like the look of Libra 2. Kobo Clara BW is 6" and I'm not sure if this is actually too small.

Kindle is 6.8", so similar to my current InkPad 4 which is 7".
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:38 PM   #17
Frostbite
Enthusiast
Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can update your Kindle manually, but some features will only be activated when you connect to wifi.

You should not worry, but if you're the type to keep hundreds or thousands of ebooks on your device (many members here do it), then having them all deleted and needing to reload can be very annoying.
Thank you for this information about updating Kindle.

Well, currently, when I read the book, I just leave it on the ereader. I rarely read them again, but they are all backed up on a hard disk. There is actually my main library. So I guess this won't be much of a problem.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:59 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You can update your Kindle manually, but some features will only be activated when you connect to wifi.

You should not worry, but if you're the type to keep hundreds or thousands of ebooks on your device (many members here do it), then having them all deleted and needing to reload can be very annoying.
You forgot to mention the loss of any highlights and reading positions as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:02 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
I don't like the look of Libra 2. Kobo Clara BW is 6" and I'm not sure if this is actually too small.

I was using 6" for a long time as that was all there was when I first got a Sony Reader. Eventually there was a 5", but that was too small. Then When Kobo came out with the Aura H2O with a 6.8" screen, I decided to give it a try as I also wanted the features the Kobo firmware has. So I tried it and now I find 6" a bit on the small side.

I've seen the firmware of the Kindle Paperwhite and I don't like it. I do like the Kobo firmware. I also don't like KF8 and I cannot stand KFX.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:03 PM   #20
Frostbite
Enthusiast

I think I'll pass the Kindle...

JSWolf, you made me think about Libra 2. Done some research. Not a bad ereader.

And design - ok, it is not so bad either.

But I came across PocketBook Era. Very similar to Libra 2. I already have a PocketBook and I like it. My main reason for trying another brand was to just get a different experience. But from the reviews, PocketBook is quite good.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:06 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

But I came across PocketBook Era. Very similar to Libra 2. I already have a PocketBook and I like it. My main reason for trying another brand was to just get a different experience. But from the reviews, PocketBook is quite good.
There are some advantages to Kobo. Very good eBook management with cailibre. You can have series, collections, summary, page numbers, and more. There i also better side loaded font handling because you can change the weight of the font to what you like.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:12 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

From what I've read, the Libra 2 has a better screen than the Era. As I've not seen the Era myself, I don't know how true this is. But the Libra 2 does have an excellent screen (mine has, at least).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:14 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From what I've read, the Libra 2 has a better screen than the Era. As I've not seen the Era myself, I don't know how true this is. But the Libra 2 does have an excellent screen (mine has, at least).
So does mine. It's better then the PW5 which I have seen in person. The PW5 is pretty close though.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:17 AM   #24
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Haha, enlightenment has come!

I always thought my PB InkPad 4 was 7", but it's actually 7.8". So yeah, I think a 6" would be noticeably smaller.

So I will now look for at least a 7" one. PB Era or Kobo Libra 2.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:58 AM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think the Kobo BW would be perfect for you. The 6" screen size is perfect, too. I prefer my 6" kobos over my Libre 1.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:03 AM   #26
Frostbite
Enthusiast

I don't need a portable device so I am afraid 6" is a bit too much of a just from the 7.8".

Today I am getting more and more into the PocketBook Era. I like PB. Already have one, just tried their cloud service for the first time and it syncs perfectly.

So if I already have one PB, another one would just be a benefit. If my wife will use it, she can create her user profile. So we can both use any of the readers and sync books seamlessly.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post
Old 04-17-2024, 07:05 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

If you want the bigger screen and don't like the Libra — and you plan to stick with your choices, you probably want one of the two Kindles. But that InkPad 4 is 7.8" so it's going to be significantly bigger than the Paperwhites (6.8"). (An inch makes a lot of difference in eReader screens.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:31 AM   #29
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Currently, I have almost decided to go with PocketBook Era. I know it is 0.7" smaller, but I think it will be ok.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:50 PM   #30
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Just ordered PocketBook Era. I think it is going to be a great companion to my InkPad 4.

I like the PocketBook system. I set up Calibre to send-by-email ePub directly to my PocketBook. Then I can sync books and other settings via PockeBook Cloud. I think this is going to work.

Tags
kindle paperwhite, kobo clara bw