Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #46
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It's sometimes surprising how much pauses can add up, especially over a 50+ hour reading.
I guess he knows his lines better than some people...

skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #47
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Well, now I'm just confused. (And, I promise, this is my last word on the subject - we're about as far off of deals as I think I can wander by law.) I added up all of the Simon Prebble Holmes versions. (I have to use the Timson version of Casebook, as Tantor never produced it for the above reason.) They add up to just over 70 hours. How in the heck does Vance squeeze all 60 stories (56 shorts and 4 novels) into 56 hours? That's like, 25% faster than the other versions? I think Vance must have had to go All Alvin to make that work!
The Vance listing on audible has a user review which lists the contents, supposedly. You could compare and see if they really are ALL the short stories.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #48
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The Vance listing on audible has a user review which lists the contents, supposedly. You could compare and see if they really are ALL the short stories.
If I trust the reviewer (which I have no reason not to) then it is all of the short stories. That's why I'm so confused!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If I trust the reviewer (which I have no reason not to) then it is all of the short stories. That's why I'm so confused!
Something is definitely amiss. A 13 hour discrepancy most definitely points to missing stories. From the description, more than 40 shorts means 41-49; and since there are 56 shorts in the complete collection, stories are definitely missing.

Note -- any further discussion of these two versions should be taken to the Audiobook Discussions forum.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-08-2016 at 02:41 PM.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #50
skinmaan
Wizard

I just got a notice of a new (albeit small) 2-for-1 sale over at Audible (here). This one features author Brandon Sanderson, which is good if you are a sci-fi fan. I'm torn on this one. I pretty well knew how I was going to spend the credits I've been hoarding, but this one actually tempts me. Gonna have to ponder this for a bit.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Advert
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #51
abqkjh
Zealot
abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto e5
Quote:
I just got a notice of a new (albeit small) 2-for-1 sale over at Audible (here). This one features author Brandon Sanderson, which is good if you are a sci-fi fan. I'm torn on this one. I pretty well knew how I was going to spend the credits I've been hoarding, but this one actually tempts me. Gonna have to ponder this for a bit.
I am a Listener Light, and this one actually came up for me. I haven't been able to access a 2 for 1 in a really long time.

Unfortunately, I already own all the Sanderson's I want so far - now if they had included Calamity, I would have been all over it (since I still have a previous book in the 2f1 cart).
abqkjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #52
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqkjh View Post
I am a Listener Light, and this one actually came up for me. I haven't been able to access a 2 for 1 in a really long time.

Unfortunately, I already own all the Sanderson's I want so far - now if they had included Calamity, I would have been all over it (since I still have a previous book in the 2f1 cart).
After much deliberation, I decided I could hold off on a Dr. Who book I was eyeing and got "Steelheart" and "Firefight." I listened to the free story Audible gave away a while back from the series and quite enjoyed it. The 2-for-1 option pushed me over the top.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #53
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Save $18 over Audible's Price, with the WS Deal on this Time Travel Romance.

Plus, with the Whispersync deal, you get the ebook and syncing between the audiobook and ebook! But you knew that.

Title: The Ruby Brooch (Time Travel Romance) (The Celtic Brooch Series Book 1).
Genre: Fiction (Time Travel Romance).
Author(s): Katherine Lowry Logan.
Price: $2.98 ($0.99 ebook (marked down) + $1.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $21.95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.3 stars/608 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.0/749 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 388/12 hours and 37 minutes.
Narrator(s): Terri Schnaubelt.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Th...ook/B00TRHDDTW.
Amazon URL (can get the whole Whispersync deal here): http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Brooch-Tr...dp/B007QMSONK/.
Comments: There are currently 4 books in the Celtic Brooch series, and 2 forthcoming in the series.
Book Description (Amazon):

A Sweeping Historical Saga...

With a touch of sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy, adventure, and a lot of romance!

Kit MacKlenna thought she lost everything in a car accident, but she didn’t. The one thing the accident didn’t destroy, her identity, was stolen the day she read her late father’s letter. In order to discover her true identity, she must endure a dangerous trip back in time. Even for a paramedic accustomed to trekking across the wilderness, the journey wouldn’t be easy. Armed with a mysterious ruby brooch and a satchel full of modern conveniences, she swirls through time and appears on the Oregon Trail in 1852 with one goal in mind, find her birth parents, if possible, before they're murdered.

Cullen Montgomery spent years planning his future. Now, with a law degree in hand, he sets out to live his dream in California. A serendipitous meeting in St. Louis finds Kit on Cullen’s wagon train heading west and ultimately to a rendezvous with her parents’ murderers. The clock is ticking with each mile they travel as Kit’s need for privacy collides with Cullen’s relentless pursuit of the truth.

Will their undeniable attraction force her to abandon her quest and return home, leaving her heart on the other side of time, or will their love lead to more than she ever thought possible?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-11-2016 at 08:06 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #54
skinmaan
Wizard

Amazon has updated the free whispersync title of the month. (I'll call it that - this time since it has been about a month since the last update.) If you're interested in "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville you'll need to get the Kindle book first (here), then you can get the matching Audible version free (here). I may last a month; it may last more. I won't speculate.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #55
skinmaan
Wizard

delete
Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Downpour Rental of the Week -- exp 18 Jan
  • $1.99 -- Nomad -- Matthew Mather -- read by Keith Szarabajka (9.3 hrs)
Quote:
Something big is coming … big enough to destroy the entire solar system … and it’s heading straight for Earth.

That’s what Dr. Ben Rollins, head of Harvard’s exoplanet research team, is told by NASA after being dragged out of bed in the middle of the night. His first instinct is to call his daughter and wife, who are vacationing in Italy: something is coming, he tells them, a hundred times the mass of our sun. We can’t see it, we don’t know what it is, but it’s there.

They’re calling it Nomad, and it’s coming fast. In just a few months, the earth may be destroyed.

The world erupts into chaos as the end approaches—and Ben discovers that his wife and daughter are trapped in Italy. The key to humanity’s survival may rest in the final answers he pieces together, in the midst of his frantic scramble to find his family before Nomad swallows the planet.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #57
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Quote:
After much deliberation, I decided I could hold off on a Dr. Who book I was eyeing and got "Steelheart" and "Firefight." I listened to the free story Audible gave away a while back from the series and quite enjoyed it. The 2-for-1 option pushed me over the top.
Thanks for posting, I had the last credit from a cheap 3 month deal to use up this month and went for the same two audiobooks. Then I tried to cancel my subscription and Audible lured me back with a free audiobook. I'm weak.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #58
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
The Whispersync Deal on this #1 Selling Jeffrey Archer Novel at Amazon Is Now $0.00!

The number 1 seller in the category "Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense."

Even a hardcore non-fictionista like me recognizes the name of the author of this book, Jeffrey Archer.

I found this novel posted apart from a context, at a third party website just now. So, I don't know if this is a one-day deal or what. I didn't take the time to research that, in order that I could post this fantastic deal as soon as possible.

Title: Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles Book 1).
Genre: Fiction (Historical).
Author(s): Jeffrey Archer.
Price: $0.00 ($0.00 ebook (marked down) + $0.00 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $23.95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.4 stars/2,448 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.4/1,961 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 339/12 hours and 41 minutes.
Narrator(s): Roger Allam, Emilia Fox.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_...ywords&x=0&y=0.
Amazon URL (can get the whole Whispersync deal here): http://www.amazon.com/Cometh-Clifton...dp/B00YWZU0MC/.
Comments: This is the first book of the "Clifton Chronicles" series. The series is complete, with a total of six installments.
From the internationally bestselling author of Kane and Abel and A Prisoner of Birth comes Only Time Will Tell, the first in an ambitious new series that tells the story of one family across generations, across oceans, from heartbreak to triumph.

The epic tale of Harry Clifton's life begins in 1920, with the words "I was told that my father was killed in the war." A dock worker in Bristol, Harry never knew his father, but he learns about life on the docks from his uncle, who expects Harry to join him at the shipyard once he's left school. But then an unexpected gift wins him a scholarship to an exclusive boys' school, and his life will never be the same again.

As he enters into adulthood, Harry finally learns how his father really died, but the awful truth only leads him to question, was he even his father? Is he the son of Arthur Clifton, a stevedore who spent his whole life on the docks, or the firstborn son of a scion of West Country society, whose family owns a shipping line?

This introductory novel in Archer's ambitious series The Clifton Chronicles includes a cast of colorful characters and takes us from the ravages of the Great War to the outbreak of the Second World War, when Harry must decide whether to take up a place at Oxford or join the navy and go to war with Hitler's Germany. From the docks of working-class England to the bustling streets of 1940 New York City, Only Time Will Tell takes readers on a journey through to future volumes, which will bring to life one hundred years of recent history to reveal a family story that neither the reader nor Harry Clifton himself could ever have imagined.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-13-2016 at 05:19 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #59
skinmaan
Wizard

Per the latest PRH newsletter:

Quote:
Free Download - Save the Date!

On January 21st starting at 10:30AM, for 24 hours we’re giving away a free audio download of The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Visit our Facebook page or our Volumes app on that day to access the download.
If I recall correctly, they have offered this one for free before but it was missing a chapter or two. Hopefully they will have fixed the problem this time. I'll (or someone will) put up another reminder when it's available.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #60
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
The number 1 seller in the category "Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense."

Even a hardcore non-fictionista like me recognizes the name of the author of this book, Jeffrey Archer.

I found this novel posted apart from a context, at a third party website just now. So, I don't know if this is a one-day deal or what. I didn't take the time to research that, in order that I could post this fantastic deal as soon as possible.

Title: Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles Book 1).
Genre: Fiction (Historical).
Author(s): Jeffrey Archer.
Price: $0.00 ($0.00 ebook (marked down) + $0.00 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $23.95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.4 stars/2,448 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.4/1,961 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 339/12 hours and 41 minutes.
Narrator(s): Roger Allam, Emilia Fox.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_...ywords&x=0&y=0.
Amazon URL (can get the whole Whispersync deal here): http://www.amazon.com/Cometh-Clifton...dp/B00YWZU0MC/.
Comments: This is the first book of the "Clifton Chronicles" series. The series is complete, with a total of six installments.
From the internationally bestselling author of Kane and Abel and A Prisoner of Birth comes Only Time Will Tell, the first in an ambitious new series that tells the story of one family across generations, across oceans, from heartbreak to triumph.

The epic tale of Harry Clifton's life begins in 1920, with the words "I was told that my father was killed in the war." A dock worker in Bristol, Harry never knew his father, but he learns about life on the docks from his uncle, who expects Harry to join him at the shipyard once he's left school. But then an unexpected gift wins him a scholarship to an exclusive boys' school, and his life will never be the same again.

As he enters into adulthood, Harry finally learns how his father really died, but the awful truth only leads him to question, was he even his father? Is he the son of Arthur Clifton, a stevedore who spent his whole life on the docks, or the firstborn son of a scion of West Country society, whose family owns a shipping line?

This introductory novel in Archer's ambitious series The Clifton Chronicles includes a cast of colorful characters and takes us from the ravages of the Great War to the outbreak of the Second World War, when Harry must decide whether to take up a place at Oxford or join the navy and go to war with Hitler's Germany. From the docks of working-class England to the bustling streets of 1940 New York City, Only Time Will Tell takes readers on a journey through to future volumes, which will bring to life one hundred years of recent history to reveal a family story that neither the reader nor Harry Clifton himself could ever have imagined.
When it rains, it pours @ Whispersync (even though this is a repeat freebie deal). Thanks for posting this.

Here's the correct link to the book in the USA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00556...Jeffrey+Archer

Last edited by Froide; 01-13-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote