Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Not enough space to export/backup library. How to do partial backup?

My laptop has a 220GB SSD. My Calibre library takes up 88 GB of space. Right now there’s only about 66 GB remaining space on my laptop.

I can’t completely back up my Calibre Library (using the "export your data" function).

Is there a way I can do part-by-part backups of my Calibre library? Maybe I can back up 35 GB of the books that are low-priority reading.
Just to be clear, I don't want to save just the epub/pdf/azw files, but also the metadata associated with them (e.g. comments, date added, date modified, rating, etc).

My end goal is that, one or two years from now, when I get a larger storage space (like a 2TB HDD in the disc-drive bay), I can reunite the 35GB-portion of my books that I upload to my Google Drive cloud storage space with the rest of the my calibre library (88-35=53GB) that will stay on my laptop.

Last edited by droopy; 12-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you have an optical disk drive (which is becoming incredibly rare these days) and a bunch of DVD-Rs to spare, there are tools (e.g. CDBurnerXP) which can handle disk spanning.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ownedbycats,
i've already removed the disk drive and I don't have easy access to disks and I'd rather not use disks.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Are you currently unable to get any other external storage? Sometimes internal drives + external enclosure can be a better value (and internal drives also tend to have better warranties, damned Seagates).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-30-2020 at 06:33 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To what media do you want to export your library? If its for backup purposes it should be external - like a USB stick, or cloud storage.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
To what media do you want to export your library? If its for backup purposes it should be external - like a USB stick, or cloud storage.

BR
cloud.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
cloud.
Then I suggest you use a tool that will do an incremental backup, such as Free File Sync's mirror feature. After the the first backup it only copies changes (adds, edits and deletes), which means its significantly faster than exporting the whole library every time. And you can restore individual books or file - e.g. a cover.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why not get an external drive and do a full backup on that? Partial backup would only be feasible if you split your library.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Then I suggest you use a tool that will do an incremental backup, such as Free File Sync's mirror feature. After the the first backup it only copies changes (adds, edits and deletes), which means its significantly faster than exporting the whole library every time. And you can restore individual books or file - e.g. a cover.

BR
I use google drive. Will incremental backup work with Google drive
Old 12-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why not get an external drive and do a full backup on that? Partial backup would only be feasible if you split your library.

I actually own a desktop computer (with a larger storage, if I recall). But I won't/can't reunite with it for at least half a year. All this to say that I'd rather not get an external drive.

What are the downsides to splitting a library?

I'm open to splitting a library.

Last edited by droopy; 12-30-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I actually own a desktop computer (with a larger storage, if I recall). But I won't/can't reunite with it for at least half a year. All this to say that if rather not get an extremely drive.

No downsides other than having two libraries instead of one, AFAIK. You can copy your split books back to your main library afterwards.

There is a plugin for splitting a library. I haven't tried it myself.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
cloud.
Cloud storage is not a good idea in this case There is not enough space for another copy. Cloud storage programs are two way. They can mess up your library. Never ever let cloud storage touch your active library. It's a good way to mess it up. It may work for a while, but that one time it doesn't then your library can be a problem.

You do have to shut off the cloud sync program when using your library. But that is an easy thing to forget. So please, don't use cloud storage.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2020 at 07:58 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. There is not enough space for another copy. Cloud storage programs are two way. They can mess up your library. Never ever let cloud storage touch your active library. It's a good way to mess it up.
Before my calibre library became bigger than my remaining space, I have done one-way syncing to the cloud. In other words I upload the data files that Calibre creates when I export my library into my Google drive. But I don't use/have active sync or two-way sync as you say.

I'm on Linux. Google has not created a two-way sync program for Linux. So I'm safe from any risks that you are warning me about.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use google drive. Will incremental backup work with Google drive
Google drive is known to be one of the worst if not the worst to use with a Calibre library.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I actually own a desktop computer (with a larger storage, if I recall). But I won't/can't reunite with it for at least half a year. All this to say that if rather not get an extremely drive.

Your best solution is to get a 512GB USB Flash drive and then do a full backup of the computer. You will have enough storage to do multiple backups of your complete library. You might have enough space left for three library backups but two for sure.