Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A way to disable Italics in Kobo user interface

One thing I really dislike about the Kobo interface is the italic text everywhere. Talk about anachronistic. Is there any way to get rid of all those italics in the interface? A patch for that would be great.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 02-17-2015 at 07:35 AM.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem with doing that is that italics in the UI means something. Anywhere there are italics in the UI, tapping will do something.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yep, in terms of GUI coherence a more thorough redesign is needed: some of the clickable text can be made bold for example.

But for someone like me who has used GUIs for over 2 decades, I have no problem figuring out what's clickable and what's not.

Actually, just replacing all the italics with bold can make an interesting experiment - I'm pretty sure it'll be an improvement.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Yep, in terms of GUI coherence a more thorough redesign is needed: some of the clickable text can be made bold for example.

But for someone like me who has used GUIs for over 2 decades, I have no problem figuring out what's clickable and what's not.
That's good, but, it isn't that obvious to most people. I have posted the comment about italics in the interface a lot of times.
Quote:
Actually, just replacing all the italics with bold can make an interesting experiment - I'm pretty sure it'll be an improvement.
Just so long as you keep it away from my devices. I don't think that a lot of bold works that well on e-ink screens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For myself, I'd find the bold text in place of the italics to be far more offensive, that would be a real eyesore to me. Don't forget it's still mixed in with regular text that won't be bold.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
One thing I really dislike about the Kobo interface is the italic text everywhere. Talk about anachronistic. Is there any way to get rid of all those italics in the interface? A patch for that would be great.
I made a patch for firmware 3.12.1 to change every instance of "font-style: italic;" to "font-style: normal;", as a way of working out how to change certain parts of the UI, but there were still some italics that didn't change, so it seems that some styles are not set using CSS and those will be much harder to change.

As well as using italics to indicate things that can be tapped, on the frontlit devices book titles are also displayed in italics. That is a common convention when writing book titles.

There is a problem with this though, as the system fonts -- Georgia at least -- seem to lack italic versions of some glyphs used in some languages such as Arabic. So book titles in Arabic and probably other languages will not display correctly when italics are used. I think this is something Kobo need to address, it could be done by substituting from a regular font if an italic glyph is not available.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I made a patch for firmware 3.12.1 to change every instance of "font-style: italic;" to "font-style: normal;", as a way of working out how to change certain parts of the UI, but there were still some italics that didn't change, so it seems that some styles are not set using CSS and those will be much harder to change.
Since you did not mention explicitly which file or files you patched, I can only guess you patched only libnickel.so.1.0.0. There are however css instructions in nickel too, some of them zlib compressed.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Since you did not mention explicitly which file or files you patched, I can only guess you patched only libnickel.so.1.0.0. There are however css instructions in nickel too, some of them zlib compressed.
You're right, I didn't think to check for compressed strings.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote