Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
Matthias_BL
Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
NOVA Pro - How to disassemble an change the battery

Hello eBook Freinds,

After my Totuorial on the Pocket Work, Inkpad3 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...hias_BL&page=3) my device got later on, a mechaincal crash, due to a construction item falling on my backpack with was the reader whithin.

So I decided 2.5 ago to switch the manufacturer to ONYX BOOX - I got a NOVA Pro. Well after having been happy (regardless the crashes/freezes one or twiche a week) now the accu issue has become upfront. Again

Got an accu from 2019, which is now to crumble. 100% loaded after 2h reading become 70%, 1h more reading the loading sign has been shown.

Interessting: Getting the Device back on USB Loader, then putting on, 58% of Battery load was displayed - like as the shutdown and charge message was never been shown.

So I decided to replace the accu of my eBook (again).
This will be this Tutorial about (and also with hints to replace screen).

It's a pitty about these eBoox: ONYX put on Market 7 (seven) new devices, but bought devices from about 2.5 Years are no more supported.

Dont want to start a discussion about environment and waste of ressources, but I am not so less upset about this kind of money making!

There is more to come.

Best Regards
Matthias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_angaben.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	197250  

Last edited by Matthias_BL; 11-04-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Matthias_BL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
Matthias_BL
Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthias_BL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

NOVA Pro - How to disassemble an change the battery

Hello Folks! eBook-Reader Friends,

OK. Lets start the dissasambling of the ONYX NOVA PRO:

As you can see on your NOVA PRO you have two notches. One above an one beside - sometime hard to see. But that's yours!
Forget the good visible notche on top, go for the notche in the side. (Side ist responsible for BACK-Cover, Front for the Screen - but Screen is accessible only from inside out!)

As I mentioned in the InkPad3 Tutorial the whole mess starts with the plastic clamps of the BackCover to the device with no screws.

Have in mind, how it is constructed inside. Backcover and Device are hold by a couple of clamps like that. So let's go for them.

Compared to the Inkpad3 the "nice" guys from ONYX decided to take additional glue to fix the cover to put the device togehter (so that stupid guys as we are, don't come to the idea, to fix problems oneself), better to buy an new one.

So now you need tools.
- One: Very Sharp and small cutting blade (up tp surgical steel blade).
- Two: A non cutting small tool, like an guitar playing blade, Spatula or nail file.

(Take care with the blade, or you will end up as I did right below.)

Now you insert the blade (somwhere to begin I marked with the [A])with just the tip in the notche, and go aound the whole device. S.L.O.W.L.Y!!! No force, just a bit of pressure, round and around, and around in the notche of the whole device whith a lot of patience!!!

After you "feel" the clamps with the tip of your blade piece by piece (DONT CUT THEM!) the backcover is ready to lift of.

Now go and get your non sharp and dull tool an insert this on a place I marked with the [A].

NEVER USER THE SCREEN-LAYER AS CONTERFORCE to open clamps with the idea, to put the cover down. Instead put your tool downwarts, with slight an slowely right an left turing. Clamps will open with a "click"-Sound. Then go to the next clamp. As close you can go to the clamp with the tool, as easier opening will happen without any damage. NEVER. USE. FORCE!!!

And all done. Open and Accu visible.

Processor smiling

And you can seen the glue, which you have cutted before.

Next steps: Get an new Accu

(!!! Did anybody know from whre to get - besinde china? 3.7V, 2800mA, Size 90*90mm, 4-5mm thickness, 10.36 Wh) ,

then to remove accu (will also be documented here in this Tutorial), then solder out the old connections, build in the new ones, put all the things together an - hopefully - having fun for the next couple of 4-5 years.

Best Regards
Matthias

Last edited by Matthias_BL; 11-04-2022 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Correct Pic arrangement
Advert
Old 10-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #3
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Thanks for your tutorial. I'll try to open mine and I'll let you know. For the battery (that's what you meant for "accu", right?) did you try with Aliexpress website? Maybe if there's a serial number on the battery you could use it to search on sites like Aliexpress.
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic really should read battery instead of accu. Most won't understand what accu means. Plus, in a search, nobody would use accu.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
@Matthias_BL I managed to open it by using an "opener" that can be found on these cheap fix-it kits on amazon. Here some pics of mine:
https://ibb.co/SKr5FPQ
https://ibb.co/cTjxg6G
https://ibb.co/tMRzk7f

As you can read from my thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...55#post4269355 , my poor Onyx Boox Nova Pro got broken after using a Xiaomi fast charger to charge it.
If you want I can send it to you as spare parts. I am in Italy.
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
csdvrx
Enthusiast
csdvrx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle HD8 onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The topic really should read battery instead of accu. Most won't understand what accu means. Plus, in a search, nobody would use accu.
It should read "akku", and FYI some people use that in a search: I've found a lot of interesting information in german forums. For some reason, they really love hacking akkus - maybe because it rhymes lol
csdvrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:50 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdvrx View Post
It should read "akku", and FYI some people use that in a search: I've found a lot of interesting information in german forums. For some reason, they really love hacking akkus - maybe because it rhymes lol
This isn't the German forum. Most will search for battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #8
csdvrx
Enthusiast
csdvrx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle HD8 onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This isn't the German forum. Most will search for battery.
Uh, idk how to say this politely, so I will say this plainly: the ambiance sucks here: it's not welcoming to new contributors, because the attitude of a lot of people does a wonderful job of keeping content away.

You like to nitpick on the "accu" word he used? He's just posted a picture guide explaining people how to do something cool! Are the words that important?

Personally, I've decided to keep an eye on stuff here, but I will NOT post original content here. It's not the retro look - it's cute even if the pagination is awful. I've got to click click click to get content. It's not the the bizzare text formatting makes posting hard or the weird desire of not having my work and idea torn to shreds (yk, "critic is easy but art is hard?")

It's way simpler: I just don't want to patronize a place where bad behaviors are encouraged.

I like mutual emulation, doing good hack for the greater good and all that.

But I know how to read the room, and it won't work here.

So I'll stick to reddit or HN or even email and do cool stuff with nice people.
csdvrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:09 AM   #9
Matthias_BL

New is "battery" in the Posts - but the Thread Topic I can't change. Admins can you?
Old 11-17-2022, 03:24 AM   #10
Matthias_BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdvrx View Post
Uh, idk how to say this politely, so I will say this plainly: the ambiance sucks here: it's not welcoming to new contributors, because the attitude of a lot of people does a wonderful job of keeping content away.

You like to nitpick on the "accu" word he used? He's just posted a picture guide explaining people how to do something cool! Are the words that important?

[....]

So I'll stick to reddit or HN or even email and do cool stuff with nice people.
I fully agree, but it's not worth discussing here. People which don't unterstand the english term "accumulator", should keep off their hands from self repairing devices. Better send them to a repair store or back to Mom & Dad!

(Quote from Wikipedia - English!)
Old 11-17-2022, 03:25 AM   #11
Matthias_BL

Neverthelss, back to the topic:

A 3.7V 2800mA was built in the NOVA Pro from factory, but I decided to enhance the replacment up to a 4000mAh (hoping ONYX charge electronics can handle that).

As you can see on the pic (red circle) the main board of the device, has two different power supply methods.

1.) by three Soldering points
2.) by the plug socket.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:25 AM   #12
Matthias_BL

To prevent soldering, I decided to order a battery with a plug and: IMPORTANT: Three wires AND a safety potection circuit built in (like the battery from ONIX factory).

I got this one:

3Wires 386888 3,7 V 4000MAH Polymer Li-Ion Batterie Für Onyx Buks James Cook 2 Boox E-Book Onyx Darwin 3 4 Caesar2 Vasco Da..

Ordred from the EASYLANDER Shop, which can be found at aliexpress:
https://de.aliexpress.com/store/4026...2f1e1ee4sVipZ2

(Almost two months are given as delivery times, but this is not true. One will receive the battery in about 10 days).
Old 11-17-2022, 03:31 AM   #13
Matthias_BL

Once new battery arrived, cut the three solded wires of the old battery one by one (White, Black, Red).

Remove the old battery gently, not to disform the battery pack.

Place the new battery in the middle of the battery space (blue rectangle in picture above) - or you will have difficulties to close the device after.

Plug in the connector of new battery to the socket.
IMPORTANT: There ist just ONE direction to plug it in correctly (like USB Sticks). Dont use force.
(Or take a magnifying glass to check plug an socket for the correct direction before trying.)

That's it .

Put everything togehter. Close the Backcover. Turn on you device - new battery had 75% charge left. Everything should working. Turn it off an charge the new battery to 100% - until the charge light goes off.

And have fun reading your books on the device about a week long, whithout new charging. And all the other functions of your eReader are working properly again.

Hope that helps someone. Have fun.

- END of Topic -
Old 02-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #14
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Hi, Reappeared after some time without coming. I also post a Thread about the same topi, which began before to this one, and also ended after.

Just for if someone is interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347375

See you
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #15
hobbes
hobbes began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Thank you for posting this, Matthias_BL! I followed your directions and was able to replace the battery in my Nova Pro.

For others, my Nova Pro would randomly “stop” until plugged in and rebooted. The battery reading was clearly incorrect. It claimed to charge but nowhere near its original capacity. I took a risk and decided to attempt a battery swap. It worked! I ordered the same battery as Matthias_BL. Thank you for your excellent instructions!
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote