Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
skynwa
skynwa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Possible to know whether Kindle (Oasis/Paperwhite) is jailbreakable before buying?

Hello.

Sorry for making a thread about this but I tried searching and couldn't find and I am at my wit's end.

I am looking to buy a Kindle Oasis or Paperwhite but I have no idea about what model number or firmware it is going to have by looking at the Amazon page. For example, the product is called "All-New Kindle Oasis (10th Gen)". Any idea if I can know beforehand whether the device is possible to jailbreak without buying it first?

I would have preferred to buy a Kobo but they are not available here in India. If anyone wants to suggest any non-Kindle ebook readers that are compatible with Koreader I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.
skynwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynwa View Post
Hello.

Sorry for making a thread about this but I tried searching and couldn't find and I am at my wit's end.

I am looking to buy a Kindle Oasis or Paperwhite but I have no idea about what model number or firmware it is going to have by looking at the Amazon page. For example, the product is called "All-New Kindle Oasis (10th Gen)". Any idea if I can know beforehand whether the device is possible to jailbreak without buying it first?

I would have preferred to buy a Kobo but they are not available here in India. If anyone wants to suggest any non-Kindle ebook readers that are compatible with Koreader I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.
If you buy new from Amazon, it's likely it'll come with a newer firmware that isn't jail breakable

If you buy used from, say, eBay, you can ask seller what firmware version it's running on and ask them to leave it on airplane mode for you
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
guoyongzhi
guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: KOA2
I recently bought a full new Oasis 2. According to the store, there are no batches produced after 2018. So the firmware version is low enough to jailbreak. My device is initially at 5.9.0.6.
guoyongzhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:50 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by guoyongzhi View Post
I recently bought a full new Oasis 2. According to the store, there are no batches produced after 2018. So the firmware version is low enough to jailbreak. My device is initially at 5.9.0.6.
Yes.

If you want a final firmware version less than 5.10.3 you need to do the original Oasis 2 jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337
if you can get a copy of the factory firmware.

If 5.10.3 or later is OK, you can do kindlebreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote