Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #61
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I really don't see a problem with The Invisible Man, because it hasn't actually received any nominations in a year, and if we were to apply the six month rule to second chance options, that would mean it couldn't be renominated for over a year when categories into which it could fit come up again, which doesn't seem fair.
I agree, the point of the 6-mo rule is to prevent a single book coming up all the time, not to prevent a book from being nominated again a year later.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #62
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Now that one is a problem. That book was one of our winners in 2011. Great book, though.

I really don't see a problem with The Invisible Man, because it hasn't actually received any nominations in a year, and if we were to apply the six month rule to second chance options, that would mean it couldn't be renominated for over a year when categories into which it could fit come up again, which doesn't seem fair.
LOL!!! OK, I will withdraw my nomination of Dr. Moreau!

If there is another HG Wells book that someone would like to read, I will be happy to support it. But until someone speaks up, I will go again with The Invisible Man.

Who knows, it may come in second again, and then we'll see it again in January!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Of the nominations so far, I've not interested in any of the ones I haven't read. My first nomination is clearly going nowhere (too expensive/unavailable, I guess) and I've obviously read that. I'll have to pick something I haven't read for my third nomination. I'll have a think...

[Hmm... a lot harder. I can think of several that I've enjoyed, but obviously I've read them. I guess I'll just have to wait for someone else to nominate something that looks interesting, and preferably written within the last 10 years or so!]

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-25-2016 at 07:29 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #64
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
H G Wells - you can't avoid a nomination for him in a Sci-Fi month can you?

I don't necessarily get a big Sci-Fi vibe from The Atrocity Archives, but I'm going to give it a second anyway. I do want to read it and I happen to own it - so why not?

And just to add to a general sense of inevitabilism, I'll also give a nod to The Invisible Man, one of Wells' novels I haven't read yet.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm out of nominations, but it sure would be nice if someone were to nominate Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. I just had this title recalled to mind after asking for help in the "Name that book?" thread. It's been around 50 years since I've read it and it's time for a re-read.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #66
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just to be obliging, I'll spend my last nomination on Stranger in a Strange Land.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #67
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Now that one is a problem. That book was one of our winners in 2011. Great book, though.
Has it really been five years since The Island of Dr. Moreau? Wow. How time flies; it seems like only yesterday. It's hard to believe we're all half a decade older than we were when we discussed that book.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #68
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Just to be obliging, I'll spend my last nomination on Stranger in a Strange Land.
Now there's a book that I wouldn't mind re-reading. But mostly to see how well it has held up. I suspect not that well, though it was a big book of my youth. But I have no tokens left.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now there's a book that I wouldn't mind re-reading. But mostly to see how well it has held up. I suspect not that well, though it was a big book of my youth. But I have no tokens left.
The other Heinlein nomination seems more appealing to me; I suspect this is the sort of classic tome that would put me off the genre forever.

Several of this month's nominations look like fun to this non-SciFier, but that might not be much of a recommendation for the hard-core types.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The other Heinlein nomination seems more appealing to me; I suspect this is the sort of classic tome that would put me off the genre forever.

Several of this month's nominations look like fun to this non-SciFier, but that might not be much of a recommendation for the hard-core types.
Here's the passage from that book that has stayed with me for five decades:

Quote:
Caxton left and a package of cigarettes followed him, placed itself in one of his pockets.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #71
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oh, I quite agree. This would not be the Heinlein I'd recommend as a first choice for you. OTOH, I think both of those I nominated would, in very different ways, be good choices. (I admit, I was actually thinking of you a bit when I put them forward.)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I quite agree. This would not be the Heinlein I'd recommend as a first choice for you. OTOH, I think both of those I nominated would, in very different ways, be good choices. (I admit, I was actually thinking of you a bit when I put them forward.)
Thank you, Charlie, I did note that! I appreciate your being gentle with me.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #73
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Not so much gentle as wanting to help you discover something new and fun. I get almost as much pleasure out of others enjoying a book or author as I do out of reading the author myself. For example, consider our discussions around Patrick O'Brian. And I could be totally wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. But oh the joy of success.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Not so much gentle as wanting to help you discover something new and fun. I get almost as much pleasure out of others enjoying a book or author as I do out of reading the author myself. For example, consider our discussions around Patrick O'Brian. And I could be totally wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. But oh the joy of success.
I share your philosophy, in fact. And if a suggestion never goes wrong, you're (I'm) not trying hard enough; we're playing it too safe.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #75
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
I share your philosophy, in fact. And if a suggestion never goes wrong, you're (I'm) not trying hard enough; we're playing it too safe.
In a related vein, years ago Earl Nightingale used to say that if you accomplished everything on your to-do list for the day, the list was too short.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote