Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I'll nominate A Door Into Summer by Robert A Heinlein.

A popular and enduring time travel tale by one of science fiction's all-time greats
This sounds good to me, but I'm out of nominations. Here's the US Kindle link; it's a very reasonable $6.39.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This sounds good to me, but I'm out of nominations. Here's the US Kindle link; it's a very reasonable $6.39.
Speaking of reasonable, The Atrocity Archives is available for free via Overdrive at some libraries. So if your library is one of them and you can get it, free is the best deal of all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #48
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll second A Door Into Summer
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of reasonable, The Atrocity Archives is available for free via Overdrive at some libraries. So if your library is one of them and you can get it, free is the best deal of all.
I know! That's why I seconded Brave New World, which I haven't read since adolescence. Boston OverDrive has just acquired it. (You could always get it after me... )
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know! That's why I seconded Brave New World, which I haven't read since adolescence. Boston OverDrive has just acquired it. (You could always get it after me... )
No need. I've read Brave new World and it's not worth a reread. BPL has two or three different eBook versions. If I wanted it, Clams has it available for borrow.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #51
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It is late enough in this process that I can start looking into what is available for me at my library.

6 out of 10 of the (partially) nominated books are free or available in some format from the library. Of the remaining 4, 2 are priced at $3 (Steerswoman and Looking Through Lace) and the others are $9-$12 (and don't really interest me for this month anyway).

Good availability this month so far, yay!

Spoiler:

The Atrocity Archives - Stross - 2 ebook copies available
Mistborn - Sanderson - Not available but I already have it. ($9 @ Amazon)
The End of Eternity - Asimov - Audio only (5 copies) but can recommend in e-book format
The Steerswoman - Kirstein - Not available (but I can recommend they get it, epub only though) ($3 @ Ama)
1632 - Flint - No need since it is FREE
Looking Through Lace - Nestvold - Not available (but I already own it, $3 @ Ama)
Heaven - Stewart & Cohen - Not available ($12 to purchase @ Ama)
The Giver - Lowry - Audio and 2 different ebook versions (31 total copies of just ebooks!)
Brave New World - Huxley - Audio and 2 different e-book versions (5 ebook copies in total)
A Door into Summer - Heinlein - Audio (only) available (awful cover)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Door into Summer is wonderful. I'll use my second token to give it a third nomination.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #53
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I third Brave New World.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #54
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to read some HG Wells some time soon. I have already read The Time Machine, and I know how War of the Worlds ends.

So I will nominate The Invisible Man.

Amazon (free)
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Man-...dp/B00L01GJ6M/
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Man-...dp/B0082Q69I6/

Kobo - 48 cents
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...lobal-classics

B&N nook - 99 cents
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=2940151455633
Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Seeing nothing I wish to second, and having recently read The Invisible Man as an audiobook, I'd like to nominate one that hasn't been nominated since 2011 (it lost), The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

From Amazon:
Quote:
The Sirens of Titan is an outrageous romp through space, time, and morality. The richest, most depraved man on Earth, Malachi Constant, is offered a chance to take a space journey to distant worlds with a beautiful woman at his side. Of course there’s a catch to the invitation–and a prophetic vision about the purpose of human life that only Vonnegut has the courage to tell.
338 pages.

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Sirens-Titan-K.../dp/B0012RMVCK

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...irens_of_Titan
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... The Invisible Man was on the ballot in January. The six month rule states, "Any book that has received three nominations during a nomination period is automatically disqualified from being re-nominated for a period of six months." Technically, I can see an out for this one, as the book did not receive any nominations in January as January was a Second-Chance month, so I'll allow it this time, but we may want to revisit the six month rule in the Discussion/Suggestion thread.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-24-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #57
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I second The Sirens of Titan.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #58
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third The Sirens of Titan.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #59
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hmmm... The Invisible Man was on the ballot in January. The six month rule states, "Any book that has received three nominations during a nomination period is automatically disqualified from being re-nominated for a period of six months." Technically, I can see an out for this one, as the book did not receive any nominations in January as January was a Second-Chance month, so I'll allow it this time, but we may want to revisit the three month rule in the Discussion/Suggestion thread.
OK, if there is a problem with The Invisible Man, I will withdraw that nomination, and substitute another by HG Wells, The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Amazon (free)
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Doctor-.../dp/B0083Z3M7W

Kobo (99 cents)
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...ctor-moreau-34

B&N nook (99 cents)
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hg-w...lls/1122188332
Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, if there is a problem with The Invisible Man, I will withdraw that nomination, and substitute another by HG Wells, The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Amazon (free)
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Doctor-.../dp/B0083Z3M7W

Kobo (99 cents)
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...ctor-moreau-34

B&N nook (99 cents)
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hg-w...lls/1122188332
Now that one is a problem. That book was one of our winners in 2011. Great book, though.

I really don't see a problem with The Invisible Man, because it hasn't actually received any nominations in a year, and if we were to apply the six month rule to second chance options, that would mean it couldn't be renominated for over a year when categories into which it could fit come up again, which doesn't seem fair.