Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2024, 02:35 AM   #1
MGA
MGA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Clara
"KEPUB" format on https://standardebooks.org/

Dear friends,

On the absolutely excellent website - https://standardebooks.org/ - they offer some great ebooks for free. They have a special format they call "KEPUB", and as I understand it, it is technically EPUB, just that they have done some alterations to make it work better with a KOBO device.

Nevertheless, I downloaded a collection of books in this format and I have two problems now, one very minor and one significant.

The small issue is that the covers are not displayed on the device. That does not really matter, but I just thought I mention it.

The more significant issue is that the content function does not work at all. Whenever I open it on the device, it is completely blank, as if the device does not recognize the headings as headings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong here?

Would be very grateful for any advice!
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:00 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Don't download their kepubs. Download the epub and use kepubify or the KoboTouch Extended Driver for Calibre to convert them to kepubs.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 03:18 AM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That's odd. I've never had trouble with the covers displaying. Does the bug depend upon your settings somehow?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:11 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I just tried 1 book as an example (Water Babies)

The book has a cover image, but no cover page in the contents the of the book. The cover image should display properly as a thumbnail, and if you have book covers on sleep screen, it should show there. But there is no where to see the cover when reading the book on device. This is the same for all their epub formats.

I had no trouble with the Table of contents. However, I notice that they are using epub3 TOC format. For the Kobo, that means you must use the kepub file, and when transferring the file to the device, you have to keep the booktitle.kepub.epub file name! If the file is renamed to remove the 'kepub' part, the Kobo will open the book with the outdated adobe reader software, and will not display epub3 TOC.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As I've said many times before, StabdardEbooks makes one hell of a mess with the code for the eBooks. They use as complicated code as they can that they don't need. The formatting of most of these eBooks is very simple. Yet they feel the need to over-complicate the code as much as possible. There is no reason at all these eBooks should not work on RMSDK on a Kobo. The reason they don't is their really poor coding.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 05:30 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Don't download their kepubs. Download the epub and use kepubify or the KoboTouch Extended Driver for Calibre to convert them to kepubs.
My solution is not to download anything form StandardEbooks. Their coding is very far from standard.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:49 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My solution is not to download anything form StandardEbooks. Their coding is very far from standard.
I always download their epubs and let Calibre do the conversion to kepub.
I have never cared to check their code, and have never had any troubles with their excellent books. All books I have downloaded display very well.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:59 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only download their epub, and even convert that to epub using Calibre. Convert to azw3, kepub etc as desired from your converted & fixed epub.

They seem crazier than Indesign or a house full of random flightless swiming birds when it comes to formatting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:32 AM   #9
Thena
Thena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Libra 2
Interesting. I have their kepubs and have had no issue with the covers or loading. I use Calibre and the KoboTouch Extended for my Kepub conversions. Well this makes it easier for me to organise it all in Calibre since I only downloaded the kepubs to save one step on conversion.
Thena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:25 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This is what I see, using their kepub...

Thumbnail displays in My Books.
When reading:
There is no cover page image
Table of contents through the UI works fine

I did a direct copy of the kepub file (used Windows Explorer).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:00 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Only download their epub, and even convert that to epub using Calibre. Convert to azw3, kepub etc as desired from your converted & fixed epub.

They seem crazier than Indesign or a house full of random flightless swiming birds when it comes to formatting.
I would go with a bunch of drunk monkey's randomly typing code and never getting it quite right.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:11 PM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The book has a cover image, but no cover page in the contents the of the book.
Yes, this is consistent with my experience. The cover displays in My Books, and the cover displays when sleeping, but there is no cover page when opening the book to read it. The TOC works fine. Although I like having a cover page within the book, it doesn't bother me enough to spend time editing every book to add a cover page.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:00 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would go with a bunch of drunk monkey's randomly typing code and never getting it quite right.
Which of the big publishers has that?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:05 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
"KEPUB" format on https://standardebooks.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Dear friends,

On the absolutely excellent website - https://standardebooks.org/ - they offer some great ebooks for free. They have a special format they call "KEPUB", and as I understand it, it is technically EPUB, just that they have done some alterations to make it work better with a KOBO device.

Nevertheless, I downloaded a collection of books in this format and I have two problems now, one very minor and one significant.

The small issue is that the covers are not displayed on the device. That does not really matter, but I just thought I mention it.

The more significant issue is that the content function does not work at all. Whenever I open it on the device, it is completely blank, as if the device does not recognize the headings as headings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong here?

Would be very grateful for any advice!

I’ve had that book cover so many times with their “KEPUB“ files that I’ve stopped downloading from them. It’s only a small issue if you download one or two books, but I downloaded dozens specifically because of their gorgeous formatting and their book covers. People have suggested, as they suggest to you, that we should download the EPUB version instead, but I ran into issues with those as well. They were far too much work to fix, so I stopped using them as a resource beyond the ones I already downloaded.

I don’t tend to get into the code like some people on this site do. We all have our hobbies, and tinkering with ebook code is not one of mine. However, my experience with their books shows that their formatting is very far from “standard”. When I encountered problems with their books years ago, there weren’t as many great suggestions as you’re receiving here.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-08-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:02 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I just tried 1 book as an example (Water Babies)

The book has a cover image, but no cover page in the contents the of the book. The cover image should display properly as a thumbnail, and if you have book covers on sleep screen, it should show there. But there is no where to see the cover when reading the book on device. This is the same for all their epub formats.
The cover image is flagged as such in the .opf file. I do have an procedure for generating a cover.xhtml file with cover.jpeg linked in it. I personally find their 1400x2100 resolution cover files to be larger than I would prefer especially when most of the background graphics are pixelated and blurry.

Quote:
I had no trouble with the Table of contents. However, I notice that they are using epub3 TOC format. For the Kobo, that means you must use the kepub file, and when transferring the file to the device, you have to keep the booktitle.kepub.epub file name! If the file is renamed to remove the 'kepub' part, the Kobo will open the book with the outdated adobe reader software, and will not display epub3 TOC.
For an ePub3 ebook, the .ncx file is not necessary. It may be included for ePub2 compatibility but since kepub.epub is intended to be opened by the ePub3 compatible WebKit based renderer on a Kobo ereader, adding a .ncx file is not useful. Standard Ebooks does make it clear that they consider the results of opening any ePub with the RMSDK based renderer to generate poor results, a conclusion that I disagree with.

Personally, I do add a toc.ncx using Sigil's Generate toc/guide for epub2 tool.

Overall, most of Standard Ebooks ePub format ebooks are a much better starting point than the abominations served up by Gutenberg.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote