Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
MsndK
MsndK began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 2019
Lightbulb What can I do with a blocked kindle Oasis 2019?

Hello everyone, it's my first time here.

So, I was planning to buy a new kindle paper white from amazon store. Well, that's until I find a guy selling his brand new Kindle Oasis 2019 for a very cheap price.

He cancelled his purchase from amazon, so they blocked it. You can't log in.

As a noob, humbly I would like to know if there is any use to it; to read books and pdf...

I never had a Kindle before (except for the fire HD), so it would be kind of strange to own a blocked oasis? Is there a world to loose if I'm ok from converting and uploading books and texts directly from my mac?
By the way, is that possible?

Thanks!
MsndK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsndK View Post
Hello everyone, it's my first time here.

So, I was planning to buy a new kindle paper white from amazon store. Well, that's until I find a guy selling his brand new Kindle Oasis 2019 for a very cheap price.

He cancelled his purchase from amazon, so they blocked it. You can't log in.
When you cancel and order but don't send the merchandise back, that's called stealing. I wouldn't get involved with it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

If you've already 'bought' it, I'd try to return it and get your money back.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Sadly its best to buy new to avoid these issues
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A lot of Kindle being sold are being sold because they are blacklisted. This one is specifically stolen and if you've already bought, you are an accessory to a the crime of theft. Return it if you can and if you cannot, go to the police and turn yourself in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
MsndK

Hey, Thank you guys! It took me a while more to research and understand that this was absolutely nonsense. I didn't buy it... It wasn't stolen. The guy who was trying to seel it has the purchase invoice. He said that after he bought it, he still prefer the paperwhite model, so he called to return it...
Funny hunh?
So he got all his money back, and tried to earn a little more from it.
And, a plus... He is actually studying in a monastery.

Oh, anyway, just bought my brand new paperwhite from a physical store.

Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon will charge him again, when they don't receive it by a certain date.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Hey, Thank you guys! It took me a while more to research and understand that this was absolutely nonsense. I didn't buy it... It wasn't stolen. The guy who was trying to seel it has the purchase invoice. He said that after he bought it, he still prefer the paperwhite model, so he called to return it...
Funny hunh?

Thanks!!
He stole it the moment he tried to benefit from it in any way after he got a refund, including trying to sell it or continuing to use it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
MsndK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon will charge him again, when they don't receive it by a certain date.
I am from Brasil!
so, he said that in some cases Amazon doesn't want the product back, because it's just not worth it. So they block it forever.
Very strange hun? Such a waste!

Anyway, I'm happy I finally got the courage to buy one new.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #10
MsndK

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
He stole it the moment he tried to benefit from it in any way after he got a refund, including trying to sell it or continuing to use it.
Makes total sense! I Agree with you.
What shocks me the most (or not) is that the guy is studying to become a priest.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
What shocks me the most (or not) is that the guy is studying to become a priest.
That doesn't shock me at all, but that's probably a topic for the (opt-in) politics and religion forum.

Congratulations on your new Kindle! I hope you enjoy reading on it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Funny hunh?

Thanks!!
he guy is a thief. He was supposed to send it back to Amazon. Instead he's trying to sell it to someone else and make that person also a thief by buying stolen goods. The Oasis was stolen from Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-19-2020 at 10:12 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #13
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you keep this Oasis, you are a thief. Call Amazon and tell them the story send it back. If that doesn't work, call the police even though you might get in trouble.
May be You did not read carefully the last post of the OP: He didn't buy the infamous Oasis, He bought a new Paperwhite from a physical store.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Moreover Amazon didn't let the man return his Oasis due to shipping costs. (Happens pretty often outside the US and western Europe).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m going to be a contrarian here. If Amazon didn’t want the Oasis back and instead just blocked it, the original owner still owned the blocked Oasis legally. And if he was honest with his buyer, then he’s not cheating him. I’m not saying it’s not a gray area, but if the original owner was honest in the process, i.e., he thought he wanted the Oasis but changed his mind in the “return for any reason” window, then I can’t exactly say he’s been dishonest, either. Obviously Amazon’s intent was to brick the device and you can’t overlook that, but the seller did come by it honestly.

Sometimes and not just with Amazon, you’ll order something and it doesn’t come and the seller replaces it, after which the original package shows up and the sender says to keep it. Are you supposed to make a paperweight out of it or put it in the landfill, or are you free to use it?

I tend to think that the original buyer was free to use it to the extent he could once Amazon didn’t want it back. I agree that selling it is hinky, especially as it potentially deprives Amazon of a sale when they already had to eat the cost of one device. However, I also see that there’s an illogicality to that as people are generally free to sell what they own, unless part of the agreement with Amazon specifically states that you agree not to resell blocked devices, and the fine print may well say that. It’s all part of Amazon’s cost of doing business, similar to the way Nordstrom’s used to have a policy that you could return a purchase, even used, at any time for any reason.

My two takeaways: I’d be less free with the word thief, and I absolutely would not myself buy such a product nor help someone to use it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocked, kindle oasis, used reader