Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #136
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whispersync is a great way to get you turn on WiFi so your side loaded eBooks can be removed.
I have seen postings that this happens. However, all my books are bought from Amazon so it is not an issue for me. I do sideload some of those Amazon books onto the Libra 2 that I plan to consume on the Libra 2. This is typically history books or things in which I would not want to listen on audible.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:35 PM   #137
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
That's like trading a Mercedes for a Toyota
The Toyota will probably be more reliable and last longer. The Mercedes has more bling-bling though.

Good analogy!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:45 PM   #138
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
However, all my books are bought from Amazon so it is not an issue for me.
Not sure this helps much. This happened to both my Scribe and Paperwhite. The ONLY books on both at the time were Amazon purchased and sideloaded using Calibre. Both devices had been in Airplane mode for a few weeks. I updated both manually from time to time.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #139
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
However, all my books are bought from Amazon so it is not an issue for me.
This is exactly the thought process they want you to have.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:53 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
I know that this happened to you, and to others, and it sucks. But I believe it's an isolated bug. I have several kindles, some are frequently connected to wi-fi, some hadn't been connected to wi-fi in quite a while and then I turned it on, and I sideload a ton of books and I have never had any get deleted. I'm not downplaying what happened to you, but you shouldn't act like this is Amazon's policy now - that they delete any sideloaded books, always.
It's never happened to me. I don't use Whispersync.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:54 PM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It would be nice to gather more information to try and discover more about this book deletion and determine if there are any workarounds that might prevent it. It would be helpful if someone who finds that sideloaded books have been deleted after going online were to gather more information for debugging.

If you enter ;dm in the search box your kindle will create three log files with names like all_system_logs_as_of_Thu_Feb_1_10.00.54_EST_2024. txt in the documents folder. This would need to be done within a fairly short time after the deletion occurred since the logs only contain recent data. Those logs might reveal more details about what triggered the deletion of the book files.
How would you stop logs from being created once you were done?
Old 02-01-2024, 03:19 PM   #142
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
How would you stop logs from being created once you were done?
It is a one shot. It only saves the most recent logs at the time you enter it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:27 PM   #143
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Pocketbooks have the same feature, AFAIK.
Yes I use Pocketbook's email to Pocketbook feature all the time. It is not quite like Amazon's however:
1. First: it is device specific--it only goes to a particular device. (If you open the book on that device, the device will then--and only then--upload it to the Pocketbook cloud, where it will be available on all PB devices and apps)

2. Second, it is slow. Unlike Amazon (which does the transfer to the device while the screen is off), PB only looks for sent files when you start using it. It generally takes a few minutes before it finds that there are sent files and downloads them.

Still, great to have
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:43 PM   #144
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Unlike Amazon (which does the transfer to the device while the screen is off) PB only looks for sent files when you start using it. It generally takes a few minutes before it finds that there are sent files and downloads them.
Only if you have wifi always on. If you switch wifi on when you start reading, the behavior will be the same as with Pocketbooks.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:56 PM   #145
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Whispersync is a great way to get you turn on WiFi so your side loaded eBooks can be removed.

Except in this case you’d likely almost always have WiFi on so there’s no problem.

I rarely ever turn on airplane mode. I haven’t lost any of my sideloaded books. I only sideload KFX books via Calibre. I do so because I want GR integration.
JBaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:16 PM   #146
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
It would be nice to gather more information to try and discover more about this book deletion and determine if there are any workarounds that might prevent it. It would be helpful if someone who finds that sideloaded books have been deleted after going online were to gather more information for debugging.

If you enter ;dm in the search box your kindle will create three log files with names like all_system_logs_as_of_Thu_Feb_1_10.00.54_EST_2024. txt in the documents folder. This would need to be done within a fairly short time after the deletion occurred since the logs only contain recent data. Those logs might reveal more details about what triggered the deletion of the book files.
As jhowell suggested I turned on wifi and stared at my ereader for a few minutes and suddenly one by one the collection folders I have disappeared except for one. I had folders labeled Horror, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Star Trek and Fantasy. The Historical Fiction folder remained no books disappeared in it. All books were sideloaded using Calibre and all books purchased from Amazon.

I then typed in ;dm in the search box and found four folders named

all_systems_logs_as_of Thur_Feb_1_08.42.19_GMT-7.57100_2024

al_nettlog_logs_as_of_Thurs_Feb_1_08.42.19_GMT-7.57100_2024

winninfo_logs_as_of_Thurs_Feb_1_08.42.19_GMT-7.57100_2024

all_wpa_supplicant-logs_as_of_Thur_Feb_1_08.42.19_GMT-7.57100_2024

The folder listed winninfo was empty the three other folders were massive files. I have no idea what any of this means.

I then set my reader down and went to get my tea and came back and my collection folders were back except for one, the fantasy folder. My four fantasy books were in the uncollected folder.

I don’t know if this helps jhowell.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:58 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is a one shot. It only saves the most recent logs at the time you enter it.
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2024, 07:04 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
Except in this case you’d likely almost always have WiFi on so there’s no problem.

I rarely ever turn on airplane mode. I haven’t lost any of my sideloaded books. I only sideload KFX books via Calibre. I do so because I want GR integration.
Can you try putting some calibre generated KF8 eBook on your Kindle and see if they get deleted or not? The KFX eBook you put on your Kindle are generated by Amazon software. What I'm trying to figure out is if eBooks converted by calibre are getting deleted where eBooks converted by Amazon software do not.

Then the ones who maintain the calibre code can have a look and see what's going on to fix it. In the morning, I'll convert a few eBooks with Kindlegen and split out the Mobi part and convert with calibre and then let my PW3 sit with the Wifi on and see what happens. I'm hoping the Kindlegen ones stay and the calibre ones go. Then the problem can be fixed eventually.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
As jhowell suggested I turned on wifi and stared at my ereader for a few minutes and suddenly one by one the collection folders I have disappeared except for one. I had folders labeled Horror, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Star Trek and Fantasy. The Historical Fiction folder remained no books disappeared in it. All books were sideloaded using Calibre and all books purchased from Amazon.

The folder listed winninfo was empty the three other folders were massive files. I have no idea what any of this means.

I then set my reader down and went to get my tea and came back and my collection folders were back except for one, the fantasy folder. My four fantasy books were in the uncollected folder.

ZIP the log files and attach them to a post in this thread so @jhowell and anyone else can have a look.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #150
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post

Your situation seems to be a bit different from that described by others. In the end were any sideloaded books removed from your Kindle? It would be really useful to know the name of a book that was deleted when examining the log files.

Each log is a text (.txt) file and they can be several megabytes in size. The associated folder with the same name should only contain a small file, which is unimportant.

As JSWolf stated you can zip the log files and post them here for analysis. But beware, they may include Amazon account information that you may not wish to share publicly. Also, without a specific missing book to check for in the logs it will be difficult to find anything useful there.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote