Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #1696
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Step 6 is rejected when disconnecting USB by last firmware 5.8.5.0.2 for KV.

On 5.8.5.0.2 there are more things going wrong:

- USB networking does not work anymore
- Kual uninstall does not remove the entry, but removes the file

"Does not" should be read as "I cannot make it to".
The Booklet version of KUAL is broken:
Code:
161123:154917 framework: perfScenario CVM received X11 ButtonRelease button=1 time=1479934157.596358
161123:154917 cvm[4034]: W def:lipc:method=LipcOpenEx service=com.lab126.cvm:Method has been deprecated.
161123:154917 cvm[4034]: E lipc:ds::Duplicate service name (com.lab126.cvm)
161123:154917 cvm[4034]: C def:dbusi::Failed to init dbus
You can still toggle USBnetworking on/off with the searchbar command:
;un
The semi-colon is part of the command.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #1697
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
My humble contribution may be limited to identifying the problem. I will look into it but I am not sure that I can fix it.
I haven't looked into why the uninstall script does not work as intended (yet).
But the Booklet version of KUAL is for certain broke on 5.8.x (and maybe earlier versions).
The problem can be seen in /var/log/messages for those with ssh (or other command line) access.

The entire system is 'event driven' -
And Lab126 has re-defined (re-named) some of the lower level stuff.
In terms of 'standard' policies, that low level a change should be a major version number bump (5.x -> 6.y).
But the 6.<anything> firmware version numbers are Kindle Fire (Android) firmware versions.

In the case of USBnetworking -
it can still be toggled on/off with the searchbar command:
;un
yes - the semi-colon is part of the command.

And NiLuJe put a 'dispatcher' into the ;log scripting - so we can extend that command from the two that it currently recognizes.
(mrpi and runme)

I have a PW-3 (relatively 'modern') still running 5.6.1.1 - but I haven't had a chance to confirm if the Booklet is broken in the same way on that version of the firmware.

We have a few 'new' software authors here recently but I am about the only one of the 'old' developers that still can show up here once a day.
Everyone else has found a 'real life' I guess.

I am lucky to find enough time to answer questions, no way can I keep up with the changes being made by an entire department of paid programmers (lab126).
Advert
Old 11-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #1698
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But the Booklet version of KUAL is for certain broke on 5.8.x (and maybe earlier versions). [...] I have a PW-3 (relatively 'modern') still running 5.6.1.1 - but I haven't had a chance to confirm if the Booklet is broken in the same way on that version of the firmware.
I have already confirmed on PW 5.6.1.1 that KUALBooklet_v2.7 is broken. See #1694. At least two commands under Helper+ menu do not respond and the uninstall script leaves the entry in the Kindle library. To get rid of the entry, see the trick here.

Quote:
In the case of USBnetworking - it can still be toggled on/off with the searchbar command: ;un yes - the semi-colon is part of the command.
Why bother? KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 works as expected.

Quote:
Everyone else has found a 'real life' I guess.
Now that you have mentioned it... End of procrastination.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #1699
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have already confirmed on PW 5.6.1.1 that KUALBooklet_v2.7 is broken. See #1694. At least two commands under Helper+ menu do not respond and the uninstall script leaves the entry in the Kindle library. To get rid of the entry, see the trick here.

Why bother? KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 works as expected.

Now that you have mentioned it... End of procrastination.
Because sometime in the future, a reader might read only one or a few posts, rather than the entire thread.

Read that as "confirmation of an earlier report".
A single person making a single report is just that, a single report.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #1700
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The problem is not FW 5.8.5.0.2 specific. Just gave it a try on PW, FW 5.6.1.1. Uninstall script removes the booklet and the application file but not the KUAL entry in the library. Now I have a very beautiful Application Error box on my PW when I try to call KUAL booklet.
Yup -
It seems that Lab126's idea of running some parts of the system inside of a chroot is interfering with the scripting of some of our packages.

Since with our current jail break procedure a user has the choice of running any firmware version older than 'current' - I am not going to panic about this.
All a user has to do now is running an earlier firmware version, one that is early enough to not break the add-in feature they "must have".

That will also give Lab126 to stumble around with their implementation of this chroot business until their changes settle down a bit.
No sense trying to follow a moving target with our current coding person-power here.

Besides - we adopted a policy here several years ago of not giving Lab126 any public hints about what they are doing wrong.
I.E: No more "Lab126 Embedded Systems" lessons being posted here.
They get well paid for their work - they should know what they are doing.
Advert
Old 11-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #1701
devtrick
devtrick began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 (5.8.5.0.2)
First off, thanks to all for the phantastic work! I successfully did the JB at my PW3 (downgraded to 5.7.4) and everything works as expected. Due to the firmware version I had to use the KUAL booklet and now see the 'empty' document-cover saying KUAL dominating the PW3 homescreen.

Is it technically possible to assign a picture to the blank cover (as with the KUAL kindlet) and remove the 'new' label or is that technically impossible? I understand that the booklets must be installed from the update_.bin and these changes have to be made in the repository.

Last edited by devtrick; 11-26-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
devtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #1702
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtrick View Post
... Due to the firmware version I had to use the KUAL booklet and now see the 'empty' document-cover saying KUAL dominating the PW3 homescreen.
you should be able to use also the kindlet version
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #1703
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Is it technically possible to assign a picture to the blank cover (as with the KUAL kindlet) and remove the 'new' label or is that technically impossible? I understand that the booklets must be installed from the update_.bin and these changes have to be made in the repository.
It might be, you are not the first to ask.
The booklet version of KUAL is at release number 0.0.0.0.0.0.1
(or some such - done in a hurry and now the author is away from the forum)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #1704
devtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
you should be able to use also the kindlet version
Well, I read a lot in the forum and the kindlet seems to work only up to 5.6.x as Amazon ditched the Kindlet support recently.

@ knc1

thx for that info - so i will follow the developments and wait patiently. Unfortunately I'm no programmer...
Old 11-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #1705
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Well, I read a lot in the forum and the kindlet seems to work only up to 5.6.x as Amazon ditched the Kindlet support recently.
Strange...

In my PW3 5.8.5.0.1 it works fine!
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #1706
devtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Strange...

In my PW3 5.8.5.0.1 it works fine!
Interesting. Did you use the Software JB as explained here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 ?

I had to downgrade from stock 5.8.1 and only found a full image for 5.7.4

Last edited by devtrick; 11-26-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add used versions
Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #1707
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

@ knc1

thx for that info - so i will follow the developments and wait patiently. Unfortunately I'm no programmer...
That is true only about the 8th generation devices (KT3 & KOA).
The KUAL document should work on everything from 2nd to 7th generation devices.
Re-read the Step #8 spoiler.

One thing I can not tell from the information provided -
Are you still running the 'factory' firmware image or did you upgrade to a 'customer' image (Step #7).

It sounds an awful lot like you stopped at Step #6, thinking that you where done - you where not.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #1708
devtrick

Quote:
One thing I can not tell from the information provided -
Are you still running the 'factory' firmware image or did you upgrade to a 'customer' image (Step #7).
I stayed with the (downgraded) 'factory?' firmware 5.7.4, under which I did the JB. So it is mandatory to load a newer 'custumer' image afterwards?

Quote:
It sounds an awful lot like you stopped at Step #6, thinking that you where done - you where not.
That ist true, because I saw no huge benefit in updating to 5.8.5.0.1 again - the PW3 seemed to work and I suspected losing some functionality or even losing the JB. I mean step 7 said
Quote:
You can now update your Kindle...
Old 11-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #1709
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I stayed with the (downgraded) 'factory?' firmware 5.7.4, under which I did the JB. So it is mandatory to load a newer 'custumer' image afterwards?

That ist true, because I saw no huge benefit in updating to 5.8.5.0.1 again - the PW3 seemed to work and I suspected losing some functionality or even losing the JB. I mean step 7 said .
None of our after-market add-ins where intended to run under the 'factory' firmware, only under the 'customer' firmware.
In this case, 'mandatory' is a subjective term, you define it for yourself based on if you want to expect things to work as described.

Translation:
If you find something not behaving as expected, your choices are:
*) Update to any of the 'customer' firmware releases for your device.
*) Fix the problem yourself.
*) Live with it.

This forum is down to approximately zero developers who are doing active support in general.
Some are actively maintaining their own work, but other than that, everyone is gone.

Last edited by knc1; 11-26-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #1710
devtrick

You, knc1, helped me a lot with your prompt responses! Thank you.

update:
Just to let you know, I repeated the whole JB process and for step *7* updated the jailbreaked PW3 to the actual 5.8.5.0.2 firmware.
Everything works like a charm now - including the KUAL kindlet, KPV booklet and all the other goodies! :-)

thx again to knc1 and encol

Last edited by devtrick; 11-29-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: update

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified