Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #1651
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I can report that my KT-2 downgraded without an issue from the latest firmware. I was able to jailbreak it again, update to 5.8.2 and apply the hotfix.
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #1652
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSyxsuke View Post
I can report that my KT-2 downgraded without an issue from the latest firmware. I was able to jailbreak it again, update to 5.8.2 and apply the hotfix.
For "the latest firmware" do you mean 5.8.2.1?
If yes, you have given us some good news
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #1653
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, I meant 5.8.2.1. I followed the downgrade instructions on this site step by step and it worked first time through.
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #1654
hamsandwich
hamsandwich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Now my PW2 says it needs repair and in an endless loop boot. I did nothing but follow instructions for jailbreak and kual install. I'm guessing I can't revert back. There goes $100 down the drain because I wanted to read CHM books.
hamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #1655
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsandwich View Post
Now my PW2 says it needs repair and in an endless loop boot. I did nothing but follow instructions for jailbreak and kual install. I'm guessing I can't revert back. There goes $100 down the drain because I wanted to read CHM books.
You can debrick it over the serial port. Perhaps a simpler method, if you read how others solved that problem. Not down the drain, unless you do not wish to repair it...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-07-2016 at 12:12 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #1656
hamsandwich
hamsandwich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can debrick it over the serial port. Perhaps a simpler method, if you read how others solved that problem. Not down the drain, unless you do not wish to repair it...
No way I have the resources or ability to use serial port method. In fact it's absurd to think that a viable option for most in my opinion.

I looked and there is no other method. Can't say I'll trust another jailbreak for ereaders again.
hamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #1657
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Hmm...
A half million views, only hamsandwich has this problem.
Anyone want to bet the cause is something other than PEBCAK?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #1658
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone managed to get "Replace store button" script working under FW 5.7.2 and above?
I have tried, but this is waay above my knowledge.
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #1659
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
Has anyone managed to get "Replace store button" script working under FW 5.7.2 and above?
What's actually supposed to happen, when you press "replace store" button? I tried it out recently, saw no difference, and just ignored it (figuring I didn't know what it was supposed to do). My KT3 is at 5.8.2.1 -- so maybe it just isn't working yet at that version, as greentea suggested.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #1660
trap000d
trap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipsetrap000d can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW1
Quote:
I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems they've moved everything to java and placed all in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib. I had no opportunity to look inside all jars so can't definitely confirm that code moved there too, but, e.g. all search bar buttons now are inside /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/searchbar-assets.jar and searchbar-resources-*-assets.jar
trap000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #1661
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What's actually supposed to happen, when you press "replace store" button?
You than will be able to launch KUAL by pressing the "Store" button, which is perhaps the most convenient way. Sadly this feature is broken as of FW 5.7.2 and up.
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #1662
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You than will be able to launch KUAL by pressing the "Store" button, which is perhaps the most convenient way. Sadly this feature is broken as of FW 5.7.2 and up.
Firmware 5.8.5 has a drop-down on the top menu bar for quick access to frequently used actions (Airplane mode, Sync, Settings) with plenty of room on it.

Since fixing the 'Replace store button' requires code diving anyway, maybe whoever fixes it can put it on that 'quick access' drop-down.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #1663
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trap000d View Post
I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems they've moved everything to java and placed all in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib. I had no opportunity to look inside all jars so can't definitely confirm that code moved there too, but, e.g. all search bar buttons now are inside /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/searchbar-assets.jar and searchbar-resources-*-assets.jar
In 5.8.5, opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/com/amazon/kindle/kindlet/internal/resources/KindletBookletResources_pt.java:
Is this array of arrays:
Code:
private static final Object[][] H = new Object[][]{{"kindlet.crash.startup.message.pattern", "Houve um erro ao tentar abrir este item. Caso o problema persista, entre em contato com o servi\u00e7o de atendimento ao cliente do Kindle em www.kindle.com/support."}, {"kindlet.crash.shutdown.message.pattern", "Houve um erro ao tentar fechar este item. Caso o problema persista, entre em contato com o servi\u00e7o de atendimento ao cliente do Kindle em www.kindle.com/support."}, {"kindlet.crash.general.message.pattern", "Houve um erro com este item. Caso o problema persista, entre em contato com o servi\u00e7o de atendimento ao cliente do Kindle em www.kindle.com/support."}, {"kindlet.remove.message", "O item que estava aberto est\u00e1 agora indispon\u00edvel porque foi removido de seu Kindle enquanto estava no modo de unidade USB. Para acessar este item, baixe-o novamente da nuvem."}, {"kindlet.restart.framework.message", "O item n\u00e3o foi fechado corretamente. \u00c9 necess\u00e1rio reiniciar o Kindle. Se voc\u00ea n\u00e3o fechar esta caixa de di\u00e1logo, seu dispositivo ser\u00e1 reiniciado em {0,number,integer} segundos."}, {"kindlet.restart.framework.button", "reiniciar"}, {"kindlet.restart.framework.cancel.button", "cancelar"}, {"kindlet.restartnow.framework.message", "Ocorreu um erro com o item. O Kindle ser\u00e1 reiniciado em {0,number,integer} segundos."}, {"kindlet.upgrade.required.pattern", "O item que voc\u00ea tentou abrir \u00e9 incompat\u00edvel com este Kindle. Tente atualizar seu Kindle a partir do menu Configura\u00e7\u00f5es. Caso o problema persista, entre em contato com o servi\u00e7o de atendimento ao cliente do Kindle em www.kindle.com/support."}, {"kindlet.crash.lowmemory.message", "Ocorreu um erro com o item. Ele ser\u00e1 fechado e o Kindle pode ser reiniciado."}, {"kindlet.crash.unknown", "Ocorreu um erro e o item ser\u00e1 fechado."}, {"kindlet.capability.fail.pattern", "Seu Kindle n\u00e3o atende aos requisitos m\u00ednimos para executar este item. Entre em contato com o servi\u00e7o de atendimento ao cliente do Kindle em www.kindle.com/support."}, {"appmgrd.path", "com.lab126.appmgrd"}, {"appmgrd.start.cmd", "start"}, {"store.search.uri", "app://com.lab126.store?action=search&query={0}"}, {"store.detail.uri", "app://com.lab126.store?action=detail&asin={0}"}, {"store.open.uri", "app://com.lab126.store"}, {"store.open.failure", "Ocorreu um erro ao iniciar a Loja Kindle."}, {"kindlet.title.subtitle.format", "{0}: {1}"}};
IIRC, you want to start by changing:
Code:
{"store.open.uri", "app://com.lab126.store"}
To what you want run.
I suppose the other store.* things would need adjustment also.

According to notes in the files, the Amazon jars are not (yet) signed, but written as if they will be at some point in time.

Which means using JBPatch (which re-codes jar files as they are loaded) to re-purpose the store button.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512
and the Wiki page linked from that post.

It would be nice if it where easier, and it may be, my Java knowledge is ancient and I only spent a few hours on looking at the de-compiled code.
(I de-compiled a copy of the entire ebook subtree using: cfr :: http://www.benf.org/other/cfr/ in a one-line bash script)
Code:
for f in `ls -1 *.jar` ; do java -jar ../../cfr_0_118.jar $f --outputdir ./output/ ; done
- - - -

Ah, it is in booklet resources because the main page is a Booklet.

- - - -

We also have a tool for re-writing Java binaries:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236780

Note: You can't (by site rules) post the re-written *.jar file here, but you could instead post the bytecode modification (the input to the editor) here along with directions on how to apply it.

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #1664
MOYS
MOYS began at the beginning.

Device: kindyl classic
Hello, I've got problem with installation on Kindle Classic. (see below). Any suggestions?

https://zapodaj.net/5d9b2fa3ee88f.jpg.html

MOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1665
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOYS View Post
Hello, I've got problem with installation on Kindle Classic. (see below). Any suggestions?

https://zapodaj.net/5d9b2fa3ee88f.jpg.html

The only id is one of the models with a white 'Kindle' at the top of the gray device.

Just to be sure what model we are talking about, use the first 4 characters of your serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To find our nickname for your device.

Terms like "Kindle Classic" are marketing terms and can (and do) vary by country.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified