Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #1636
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsandwich View Post
I'm getting "The selected application cannot be started. Please try again" and I have waited 20 minutes. I reinstalled MKK too. What's the deal?
My KUAL is doing the same thing. I tried to reinstall the hotfix but it recognizes it as a bad update as soon as I unmount. The search bar command to use MRPI did nothing too. My KT2 might have silently updated but I'm not sure. I don't have it handy but I believe it said firmware 5.8.2.1.

Any help is appreciated.
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1637
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try using the MrPI package installer to re-install the hotfix package.

Both of you:
What device? (first six characters of the serial number).
Which KUAL? The Booklet or the Document?
Link to the directions you followed to jail break the device.
Any deviations you made from the directions.

Has KUAL and MrPI **ever** worked since you jail broke the device?

Technical questions require the technical context of the problem.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #1638
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try using the MrPI package installer to re-install the hotfix package.

Both of you:
What device? (first six characters of the serial number).
Which KUAL? The Booklet or the Document?
Link to the directions you followed to jail break the device.
Any deviations you made from the directions.

Has KUAL and MrPI **ever** worked since you jail broke the device?

Technical questions require the technical context of the problem.
I have a KT2, the serial starts with 90C6 07
The booklet version of KUAL
I followed the instructions found on this site, back when it was first released. I made no deviations from the instructions.
Up until yesterday, it worked fine everytime I needed to change anything in KUAL or MrPI. The ;log MrPI method doesn't work now, I tried it and waited for ten minutes or more.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #1639
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSyxsuke View Post
I have a KT2, the serial starts with 90C6 07
The booklet version of KUAL
I followed the instructions found on this site, back when it was first released. I made no deviations from the instructions.
Up until yesterday, it worked fine everytime I needed to change anything in KUAL or MrPI. The ;log MrPI method doesn't work now, I tried it and waited for ten minutes or more.
That sounds like the "reset" menu selection was done to the device.
or a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" was placed at the top of visible USB storage.
A simple Amazon update should not have done that;
UNLESS
If it was very early (within the first few days), it could have been before the ";log MrPI" feature was added to the things being bridged.

Check your current firmware version.
Also check if the "OTA blocker" directory name is still in-place at the top level of visible USB storage.

Do you have kTerm or USBnetworking installed?

Last edited by knc1; 10-05-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #1640
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast

Quote:
That sounds like the "reset" menu selection was done to the device.
or a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" was placed at the top of visible USB storage.
A simple Amazon update should not have done that;
UNLESS
If it was very early (within the first few days), it could have been before the ";log MrPI" feature was added to the things being bridged.

Check your current firmware version.
Also check if the "OTA blocker" directory name is still in-place at the top level of visible USB storage.

Do you have kTerm or USBnetworking installed?
Current firmware is Kindle 5.8.2.1 (3045660001)

I never installed the OTA blocker, I have just kept it on Airplane Mode other than earlier this week when I stupidly decided to use Push To Kindle.

I don't have either installed, although I did have USBNetworking installed at one point but I removed it.

I don't recall ever touching Reset in the menu.
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #1641
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Current firmware is Kindle 5.8.2.1 (3045660001)

I never installed the OTA blocker, I have just kept it on Airplane Mode other than earlier this week when I stupidly decided to use Push To Kindle.

I don't have either installed, although I did have USBNetworking installed at one point but I removed it.

I don't recall ever touching Reset in the menu.
You had an over the air (OTA) device update.
The current firmware when you jail broke your Kindle was 5.8.2, now you are on 5.8.2.1

Reboot the Kindle now (long press and hold of power button), and see if the update bridging code can recover the Jail Break.
Watch screen closely during the process, the messages from the bridge code running can be hard to see.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #1642
knc1
Going Viral

I had to actually check on my Amazon account to be certain, but yes, I own a KT-2.
Finding it, that will be another question altogether.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #1643
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast

I tried rebooting and didn't see the code. I attempted to open KUAL again and got the same message as before. I also retried to run MrPI to no avail.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #1644
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I tried rebooting and didn't see the code. I attempted to open KUAL again and got the same message as before. I also retried to run MrPI to no avail.
That is pretty conclusive.

go on-line (it can't get worse), push everything to the device's cloud or otherwise copy the /documents folder and try repeating the jailbreak.

I suspect that this 'bug fix' release for the 6th., 7th., and 8th. generation devices has 'fixed' our latest jail break.
Do not be surprised if it does not work.

If they have, everyone can kiss this forum goodbye as a useful forum.
There is only myself, and my health, age and other 'life' related things prohibit me from trying to take on Amazon again.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #1645
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast

Quote:

go on-line (it can't get worse), push everything to the device's cloud or otherwise copy the /documents folder and try repeating the jailbreak.

I suspect that this 'bug fix' release for the 6th., 7th., and 8th. generation devices has 'fixed' our latest jail break.

There is only myself, and my health, age and other 'life' related things prohibit me from trying to take on Amazon again.
Repeat the jailbreak including using Reset and downgrading? I have no issue with doing that, I just want to ensure you meant downgrade too.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #1646
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Repeat the jailbreak including using Reset and downgrading? I have no issue with doing that, I just want to ensure you meant downgrade too.
The jail break depends on the downgrade, blocking that is the only way they could break the jail break procedure.
So yes, do the downgrade, that is the part that needs testing.

You can skip the "Reset" if you want to, for your device the only firmwares available are 5.8.x (which means the personal information file formats will be the same).

I only said to be sure you have a backup of your personal additions, either on the device cloud, or on your local PC to be on the safe side.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #1647
Leo365
Leo365 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Did you mean that the 'bug fix' may break the jailbroken devices even with the survival hotfix?
Leo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:07 AM   #1648
Leo365

Quote:
The jail break depends on the downgrade, blocking that is the only way they could break the jail break procedure.
So yes, do the downgrade, that is the part that needs testing.

You can skip the "Reset" if you want to, for your device the only firmwares available are 5.8.x (which means the personal information file formats will be the same).

I only said to be sure you have a backup of your personal additions, either on the device cloud, or on your local PC to be on the safe side.
Expect the testing result
Old 10-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #1649
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo365 View Post
Did you mean that the 'bug fix' may break the jailbroken devices even with the survival hotfix?
We already determined that - it does.
Next thing to check is if they blocked the downgrade procedure.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:46 AM   #1650
Leo365

Quote:
We already determined that - it does.
Next thing to check is if they blocked the downgrade procedure.
It is the worst thing Amazon has done.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified