Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
BOO! - What Halloween Scaries are you reading this 2022?

...and, if so, what do you recommend?

I'm ready to start Johnny Halloween, by Norman Partridge.

Has anyone read this one?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Here's a bunch of Halloween reads.

The one I'd recommend most is Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. I have Johnny Halloween, but haven't read it yet.

Pulp master David Robbins wrote three Halloween-themed horror novels (Prank Night, Spook Night and Hell-O-Ween). I read Spook Night and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately he is more interested in getting e-versions of his western and men's adventure stuff out. Only Hell-O-Ween is available digitally. (I'm sure it is good too. I just really liked Spook Night.)

Al Sarrantonio has a series of stories and novellas about the town of Orangefield, the pumpkin capitol of the world. Sarrantonio's not a great writer, but I remember the stories really evoked the feeling of a Ray Bradbury Halloween. You can get a collection> The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus.

One last Halloween horror I read was Lisa W. Cantrell's The Manse. It was a good book, not great. Sadly no digital edition.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Here's a bunch of Halloween reads.

The one I'd recommend most is Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. I have Johnny Halloween, but haven't read it yet.

Pulp master David Robbins wrote three Halloween-themed horror novels (Prank Night, Spook Night and Hell-O-Ween). I read Spook Night and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately he is more interested in getting e-versions of his western and men's adventure stuff out. Only Hell-O-Ween is available digitally. (I'm sure it is good too. I just really liked Spook Night.)

Al Sarrantonio has a series of stories and novellas about the town of Orangefield, the pumpkin capitol of the world. Sarrantonio's not a great writer, but I remember the stories really evoked the feeling of a Ray Bradbury Halloween. You can get a collection> The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus.

One last Halloween horror I read was Lisa W. Cantrell's The Manse. It was a good book, not great. Sadly no digital edition.

I read the first Orangefield title and enjoyed it, but haven't read the other two. I own the omnibus edition.

Here's some interesting information located on the copyright page, about the original version of the first novel:

"Portions of this novel first appeared, in a different form, as “Hornets,” copyright © 2001 by Al Sarrantonio; “The Pumpkin Boy” copyright © 2005 by Al Sarrantonio; and Orangefield, copyright © 2002 by Al Sarrantonio."

I'm always interested in different versions of an author's work. William Faulkner comes readily to mind.

(See my reply to your message.)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never enjoyed the Horror Genre. They just don't scare me (movies either). If I want that kind of scare, I will just have to watch the news.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have a number of books from the Spooky Spectacular collection at Storybundle in 2019 still unread, so will randomly choose one of those as soon as I'm done with current murder mystery. I also have several anthologies on Audible. The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 4 edited by Ellen Datlow is the only one I'm likely to get done. I also have Great Classic Ghost Stories: Sixteen Unabridged Classics by Charles Dickens , Mark Twain , Edgar Allan Poe and narrated by John Lee and Bronson Pinchot (both very good narrators).

I did just get Hell-O-Ween from Kindle Unlimited.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-07-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I plan on reading Shadowland by Peter Straub. I wanted to read this since I haven't read anything of his before and his passing. It is just a coincidence that it is close to halloween.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I read the first Orangefield title and enjoyed it, but haven't read the other two. I own the omnibus edition.

Here's some interesting information located on the copyright page, about the original version of the first novel:

"Portions of this novel first appeared, in a different form, as “Hornets,” copyright © 2001 by Al Sarrantonio; “The Pumpkin Boy” copyright © 2005 by Al Sarrantonio; and Orangefield, copyright © 2002 by Al Sarrantonio."

I'm always interested in different versions of an author's work. William Faulkner comes readily to mind.
I don't have the digital omnibus, I have the three Leisure paperbacks. In those at least, Horrorween is a story collection, not a novel.

Here's my reviews for Horrorween and Hallow's Eve.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm reading our two hardcover omnibus editions of Cullen Bunn's Harrow County comic.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have never enjoyed the Horror Genre. They just don't scare me (movies either).
Horror doesn't scare me either. I don't think most horror fans are scared by what they read/watch, though I'm sure some are.

For me, I'm interested in horror for the same reason I'm interested in folk tales and urban legends.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't have the digital omnibus, I have the three Leisure paperbacks. In those at least, Horrorween is a story collection, not a novel.

Here's my reviews for Horrorween and Hallow's Eve.

Interesting. I don't have the Leisure edition or even the standalone first book as a digital copy. It's been years since I read that first book, but my digital copy increments the chapter count and lists the stories as 'Part xx, etc.'

I read your review and found it very helpful.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm reading our two hardcover omnibus editions of Cullen Bunn's Harrow County comic.

I'm not familiar with that author.

Can you expand on it, please.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm not familiar with that author.

Can you expand on it, please.

Thanks.
Cullen Bun is a comic book author. These are bound hardcovers of his two comic book runs. Harrow County is most definitely horror.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Horror doesn't scare me either. I don't think most horror fans are scared by what they read/watch, though I'm sure some are.

For me, I'm interested in horror for the same reason I'm interested in folk tales and urban legends.
I just figured most people who read horror novels are similar to those who watch horror movies or ride roller coasters.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Cullen Bun is a comic book author. These are bound hardcovers of his two comic book runs. Harrow County is most definitely horror.

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just figured most people who read horror novels are similar to those who watch horror movies or ride roller coasters.
Apache
You're forgetting the most important part! Speaking for myself, I look like the photo below. (Some people mistake me for Big Ed.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basketcase.jpg
Views:	4377
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	197038