Yes, sometimes. 17 13.60%
Yes, but only to fix issues 33 26.40%
No. 32 25.60%
Other (specify) 9 7.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2024, 06:21 PM   #136
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
But it's broken and unmaintained, isn't it?
Sometimes it works, and some times it doesn't.
I reported an error 5 months ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=198
Huh! I use it all the time in both Calibre and Sigil (both are current versions)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:02 PM   #137
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On the two occasions when I tried, I found it almost impossible to transfer my Sigil saved searchs and automate list items to Editor Chains. If Editor Chains had been around when I first started to automate, I might have made the opposite choice.
To be fair, my chains are mostly simple things. Like removing empty paragraphs from fanfics (because of authors using weird line-spacing).
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 07:19 PM   #138
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I used his Editing Toolbag with calibre's ebook-editor, I did run into a similar issue to the one you reported but after correcting errors reported by epubcheck, the issue disappeared.
I run at the start of the editing process, and yes there are usually errors with epub check and the Calibre check, but that is expected as I am just starting.
When it doesn't work, I fall back to regex instead.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:09 PM   #139
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I will always edit the metadata and download a cover if the original one is too small/not the one I want. Also I will run the polish books function to update the cover in the book file, remove unused CSS rules, and compress images.

As far as editing the actual code of the book, when I was using KOReader I could get away with not doing so most of the time. That was because I could choose to ignore font families, margins, padding, etc. within the reader.

Now that I'm trying to use the stock reader (for the Libra Colour note-taking features), I find myself having to remove these things from the code myself, and quite frequently. I really wish the stock reader had some way to ignore publisher fonts
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:46 PM   #140
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use KEPUB, selecting your own font from the font list overrides all of the publisher's font choices.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 11:20 PM   #141
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you use KEPUB, selecting your own font from the font list overrides all of the publisher's font choices.
I'm going to have to start using kepub just for that!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:55 AM   #142
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's one of the reasons I use it, too, along with the fast page turn feature, image viewer, and better performance.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:31 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
But it's broken and unmaintained, isn't it?
Sometimes it works, and some times it doesn't.
I reported an error 5 months ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=198
The only time I've encountered an error is when epubcheck throws up an error. So so as long as the structure has no errors, the plugin works properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:46 AM   #144
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
For me, a cover is something you page past to get to the book. I don't browse by cover or show it anywhere. So even Gutenberg covers don't annoy me too much.

I never de-DRM a book. It's not moral inhibition, I just can't be bothered. For horrible CSS (I'm looking at you Duke, the publisher with the stupid dog) I just use the "nuclear option" and delete all (still encrypted) CSS files from the zip (epub).

The one book I did edit was the Gutenberg Shakespeare. The TOC was a train wreck. I offered my cleaned up Play/Act/Scene TOC to Gutenberg but they insisted on using their automatic TOC generator running off <h1><h2><h3> on very mixed sourced plays.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:52 AM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I never de-DRM a book. It's not moral inhibition, I just can't be bothered. For horrible CSS (I'm looking at you Duke, the publisher with the stupid dog) I just use the "nuclear option" and delete all (still encrypted) CSS files from the zip (epub).
You don't have to be bothered. Once you are configured to remote the DRM, that's it done. It just happens when you import DRM infected eBook into calibre. I cannot remember the last time I changed any of the DeDRM options. Yes, I've gone and looked at them, but did not make any changes.

Then if you did decide to change the CSS instead of drop it, you could.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 01:24 PM   #146
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Here's an example of Table of Contents for Shakespeare.
The left is my version, the right is stock Gutenberg.

Ha, ha, any time you post something you spot an error: "of" should not be capitalized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc.png
Views:	38
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	208162  

Last edited by Renate; 05-09-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:07 PM   #147
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Here's an example of Table of Contents for Shakespeare.
The left is my version, the right is stock Gutenberg.
Ugh, I dislike stock Gutenberg books.

I appreciate what they do. I think it is very important. But then I'm also glad for the likes of Standard eBooks for making stuff better.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:58 PM   #148
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Ugh, I dislike stock Gutenberg books.

I appreciate what they do. I think it is very important. But then I'm also glad for the likes of Standard eBooks for making stuff better.
Wait for it ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:23 PM   #149
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Wait for it ...
Ummm. Sitting here shaking with anticipation

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:28 PM   #150
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
↑↑↑↑

Ditto.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote