Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-27-2024, 11:40 AM   #16
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwigs View Post
If you are concerned about ur privacy you can use vpn and private dns.
I have multiple boox devices and have checked its internet activities using private dns, it doesn’t acccess any other sites like Hisense a9 which had 3rd party code baked in their phone os.

So, for Hisense a9 it makes sense to have lineageos to remove those 3rd party crap but boox isn’t like it.
Good to know, Boox devices don't "call home" or Google to often? I used to monitor some devices traffic with PiHole, and sometimes there are some surprises.

Side question, based on this ( https://blog.tho.ms/hacks/2021/03/27...-note-air.html ) , if I understood well, Onyx devices come with an unlocked bootloader, a vendor partition and fastboot.

Did anybody ever tried flashing a GSI on it?

Last edited by Anghirrim; 04-27-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:04 PM   #17
BiduleMachin
BiduleMachin began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Air 3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
What would be gained from it?
No Google Play Store!
I don't know if that's a win
You can use F-Droid to get most of the open source apps. You can also use Aurora Store that can get any play store app without a google account.
BiduleMachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 05:57 AM   #18
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just bought a second hand Boox Page, as it's relatively inexpensive (compared with other Onyx models), I think I'll play a bit with it.

Last edited by Anghirrim; Today at 08:41 AM.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiduleMachin View Post
You can use F-Droid to get most of the open source apps. You can also use Aurora Store that can get any play store app without a google account.
But there are no purchase confirmations - that requires the Google Play Store
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:04 PM   #20
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
I don't know how it would be beneficial. Keep in mind that these are book readers, and I really doubt that LineageOS will be well optimized for these E-INK screen devices. I find it more interesting if it were possible to boot a Linux ARM operation system

But if someone uses book readers for their banking, fine. I would just like to know how many and what applications are not available for Android 11 that it is so necessary to leave the entire Onyx ecosystem for these apps (and lose all benefits and applications, after switching to another Android it will be nothing more than looking for alternatives to the original applications and search, not to mention the overall stability of the OS.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; Yesterday at 06:35 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2024, 10:45 PM   #21
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
But if someone uses book readers for their banking, fine. I would just like to know how many and what applications are not available for Android 11 that it is so necessary to leave the entire Onyx ecosystem for these apps (and lose all benefits and applications, after switching to another Android it will be nothing more than looking for alternatives to the original applications and search, not to mention the overall stability of the OS.
As someone using Lineage on my Hisense e-ink A9 I can say that it is completely stable and has been optimised for e-ink by the developers who created the ROM. There is no lost functionality at all.

The reason for people wanting more up to date Android versions is for security, not app availability. And the reason to prefer Lineage over Boox or Hisense is that it is an open source operating system as opposed to a Chinese customised version of Android that potentially has spyware.

Having said all of that obviously if you are just using the devices for reading ebooks then there is little reason to want to change from the Boox version of Android. But these devices are capable of much more than that and there are significant numbers of people who rely on e-ink due to inability to cope with LCD screens. I'm in fact typing this using a recently acquired Boox Mira monitor connected to my Linux desktop. All my screens are now e-ink (PC, Phone and multiple tablets).
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #22
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
When I consider, for example, Lineage v20 for → A9
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ENkBH1ATPBlymA
From : https://www.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...or_hisense_a9/

.. so, according to the post, it doesn't really smell like optimization. In addition, the only setting for E-INK is the "E-INK center", which does not have half the setting options as ONYX, for example. Those comments about the problem and inaccuracies of the LED backlighting do not look very convincing either.

However, I've never tried A9 devices with Lineage, so I'm not condemning it, and I was more referring to devices like BOOX ONYX type Leaf/Page/Nova etc..

If someone uses E-INK screens (10 inches and similar) as a replacement for the LCD monitor from LineageOS, it can bring more freedom and control. Of course, if you don't go through the entire "source code" then you can't be sure what the device "sent" and "receving" if you understand me.

PS: It might be interesting to have most of the E-INK devices I understand the installation of another OS in your case, but I think it's an expensive hobby

But some users simply need to constantly assemble something and install something, some of the listed items are then used only as an excuse "why .."

Last edited by Michal Jancik; Yesterday at 06:57 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote