Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #76
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Note that as always, KindleTool will work to extract the contents of the "binary installer".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #77
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
---Guess what? This feature works on the Kindle Oasis.
Ohhh, perfect. And the Amazon.com WILL ship to Finland

Update: ordered one - the postage is more than the item itself... But well worth it if I can start listening to my ebooks while doing crafts etc, and I might be able to retire my old K2&3

Last edited by June; 05-12-2016 at 04:47 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Does it work for the K7?
K7 is the unit with the 300ppi screen, i thought. Don't you mean K6?

The feature works on the latest Paperwhite (300ppi screen). It does not work on the one before - not yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
K7 is the unit with the 300ppi screen, i thought. Don't you mean K6?

The feature works on the latest Paperwhite (300ppi screen). It does not work on the one before - not yet.
* K7 = Kindle (7th Generation) = $79 Kindle = Kindle (2015)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #80
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
It works on the Voyage, Oasis and Paperwhite. I just copied the voice folder from the Oasis to the Voyage.

You can also build your own Audio Adapter. All you need is a USB host cable (OTG) and an external sound card: http://allesebook.de/anleitung/anlei...eo-demo-69667/

how do you control the volume on units that have no volume control?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #81
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
* K7 = Kindle (7th Generation) = $79 Kindle = Kindle (2015)
That's not what Amazon is saying on its site.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202006400

In any case, i don't think the basic Kindle has this feature. But I don't have one to test.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is what Amazon calls their Kindles:

* Kindle Oasis (8th Generation)

* Kindle Voyage (7th Generation)
* Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)
* Kindle (7th Generation)

* Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation)

* Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation)
* Kindle (5th Generation)

* Kindle Touch (4th Generation)

* Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)

* Kindle DX (2nd Generation)
* Kindle (2nd Generation)

* Kindle (1st Generation)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #83
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That's not what Amazon is saying on its site.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202006400

In any case, i don't think the basic Kindle has this feature. But I don't have one to test.
It's the Kindle I have.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #84
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tried the sound file installer on my Paperwhite II (6th gen) and it was accepted and created the sound files on my Kindle running 5.7.4 firmware. I don't have a USB sound card so I can't tell if it will actually do anything.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's beginning to look as if the installer will run on any Kindle. It seems to do no device checking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #86
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I tried the sound file installer on my Paperwhite II (6th gen) and it was accepted and created the sound files on my Kindle running 5.7.4 firmware. I don't have a USB sound card so I can't tell if it will actually do anything.
I'll follow up in a few minutes.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #87
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Just ordered it. Standard shipping costs about $6 + tax came to around $28 total. Not exactly cheap as compared to similar items on ebay, but kind of priceless to me. Many times I have wanted to switch over to TTS after my eyes tire from reading. This is not just for the blind, between diabetes and aging eyes TTS is a blessing. And reading from a tablet is not the same as switching from e-ink to TTS on the same device. Good move Amazon.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #88
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Apparently the software isn't there yet. I attached the USB adapter but nothing happened.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #89
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's beginning to look as if the installer will run on any Kindle. It seems to do no device checking.
Kindle update packages can list multiple models. In fact, even to support, say, the PW2, it needs to list multiple PW2 DeviceId variants (serial number prefixes).

The hacks posted on MobileRead typically are signed to match any device that runs on a particular SoC.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, the voice installer is flagged for the PW2/KV/KT2/PW3. It's basically only missing the Oasis (in which case, KindleTool is your friend, either to get at the files, or to repack it for the Oasis).

(It does a platform check only, so it matches all Wario devices. Since the Oasis is based on a newer platform, Duet, and this specific variant of the package format doesn't support flagging multiple platforms, not flagging the Oasis is currently a technical limitation of the particular variant of the package format they decided to use).

But as was mentioned, it's nothing but a voice folder dropped in the USB root, so you really, really don't need the two layers of indirection that update package introduces to do that, but, hey .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-12-2016 at 02:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote