Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
ripper3
ripper3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Highlighting + Low Price = ?

Dear All,

please, recomend an e-reader (e-ink, not expensive) which best supports text highlighting, making notes on the fields, etc?

Thanks.
ripper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If you're in the US, the Sony 350 is pretty cheap at Best Buy ($119 online). Refurbished Nooks are selling for ~$99 online (sometimes even cheaper). Both are e-ink.

I'm not sure if the Kobo allows text highlighting or making notes.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper3 View Post
Dear All,

please, recomend an e-reader (e-ink, not expensive) which best supports text highlighting, making notes on the fields, etc?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "on the fields", but my favorite reader for notes and annotations is a Kindle. Every* passage you underline and every note you make is recorded in a text file ("My Clippings.txt) that can be easily downloaded to your computer via USB. In addition, if the book was purchased at Amazon, you can opt to have all the copied passages backed up on your Amazon page for easy retrieval over the Net. The WiFi only version is $139, but if you live in the US or anywhere covered by Amazon's 3G network, I strongly recommend going with the $189 model with Wifi & 3G.

I don't know if the newer Sonys have changed the way they do things, but I don't bother making notes or copying passages on my PRS-600 because it has a nasty habit of truncating the text when importing to a PC.

<><><>

* One caveat: Occasionally an author or publisher will limit the amount of text that can be copied in a particular book or even more rarely forbid copying altogether. I've only encountered one book so far where copying was totally forbidden, and only a very few where a publisher or author has set a limit that I've exceeded.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
What screen size do you want?
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle is now available for $114. You would have to put up with ads on the screen saver to get that price. The WiFi only Kindle is $139. Both have a 6 inch screen. Highlighting, note taking, and the like is silly easy. There is even an easy to get to website where you can print off your notes and the like if you need to.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
ripper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know if the newer Sonys have changed the way they do things, but I don't bother making notes or copying passages on my PRS-600 because it has a nasty habit of truncating the text when importing to a PC.
Could you expand on it? Faithbw's reccomended PRS-350 and as I understand it's the same thing as PRS-650 but with smaller screen. I've seen a couple of videos and it seems that highlighting and notes are realized pretty good in it. Is this true?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
ripper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
I think 6".
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you expand on it? Faithbw's reccomended PRS-350 and as I understand it's the same thing as PRS-650 but with smaller screen. I've seen a couple of videos and it seems that highlighting and notes are realized pretty good in it. Is this true?
I'm not qualified to speak of the newer generation Sonys. I only know that there's a severe limit on the number of characters that the 600 will import on any given text quote.

For example, on page 25 of 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman, I highlighted the following passage:

Quote:
People behave in highly predictable ways when they experience certain emotions and thoughts. When they are sad, they cry. When they are happy, they smile. When they agree, they nod their heads. So far, no surprises, but according to an area of research known as "proprioceptive psychology," the process also works in reverse. Get people to behave in a certain way and you cause them to feel certain emotions and have certain thoughts. The idea was initially controversial, but fortunately it was supported by a series of compelling experiments.
Here's what the PSR-600 exported to a Rich Text File via the Sony Reader Library software:

Quote:
People behave in highly predictable ways when they experience certain emotions and thoughts. When th
That, in my book, makes the PRS-600 an extremely poor choice for anyone who uses their reader for research. Whether the newer generation Sonys have overcome this limitation is a question to which I don't have the answer.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
ripper3

Just a day ago I came across PocketBook IQ 701. I's kind a tablet PC, costs about £150, but it has LSD screen, not e-ink. Have you heard 'bout it?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The only readers I'm familiar with are the ones in my Device list, and the Nook (original), which I sold in like-new condition for $50 (which should tell you how I feel about that e-reader).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-15-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Just a day ago I came across PocketBook IQ 701. I's kind a tablet PC, costs about £150, but it has LSD screen, not e-ink. Have you heard 'bout it?
Wow man, holy flashbacks of Dr. Timothy Leary Batman!! I want me one of them there LSD displays, now that's a party!! Heck, I bet it is even in color, all of them and they might even be breathing. hahahahahahahaha...
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
ripper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Wow man, holy flashbacks of Dr. Timothy Leary Batman!! I want me one of them there LSD displays, now that's a party!! Heck, I bet it is even in color, all of them and they might even be breathing. hahahahahahahaha...
Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
isabella007
isabella007 began at the beginning.

isabella007 is offline   Reply With Quote