Notices

Old 08-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
Clio
Enthusiast
Clio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Libra2, Kindle
trying to get text to justify

Hello,

I am using Calibre 5.40, and I am trying to convert a book which is in the form of a Word document.

I think I have mostly managed to get it to work and to look the way I want it to, except for one thing. I can not get the text to justify.

In the conversion, I select the option which says justify text. When I view the results in Calibre, the text appears justified. But when I load it on to my Kobo, and open it, the text is not justified.

I tried converting the Word file to epub and to kepub, and got the same result with both - the text wasn't justified.

Is there anything else I should be doing to get the text to justify?

Thank in advance for any help!
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the CSS code using the eBook editor and see if you see if it's supposed to be justified.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check the CSS code using the eBook editor and see if you see if it's supposed to be justified.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't even know how to check the CSS code. I'm guessing it might be the bit under Styles, where it says 001.css and 002.css and so on? Is that it? I tried looking at that, but none of it was very meaningful to me. I can see a few places where it says text-align: justify. And a few places where it says text-align: center. I don't know what to make of that, and because I don't really understand this code, I'm wary of making changes to it.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Clio If you are using the Calibre editor...
Locate a 'misbehaving' paragraph: hold the control key down and click on 'Style= '
That should jump you to the CSS controlling that P
Text-align: is what you are looking for.

Note CSS classes can inherit from a outer block. So the alignment might be controlled by a surrounding <div> or even the <body>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@Clio If you are using the Calibre editor...
Locate a 'misbehaving' paragraph: hold the control key down and click on 'Style= '
That should jump you to the CSS controlling that P
Text-align: is what you are looking for.

Note CSS classes can inherit from a outer block. So the alignment might be controlled by a surrounding <div> or even the <body>
Thank you. Nothing happens when I hold the control key down. Now I'm really confused.
Advert
Old 08-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
You say it looks OK in the Calibre viewer, but not on the Kobo. The Kobo has it's own justification controls. Just for giggles, go to the Aa menu on the Kobo and check to see if Justification is turned off there, or set to Left. The book itself may be fine...
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
You say it looks OK in the Calibre viewer, but not on the Kobo. The Kobo has it's own justification controls. Just for giggles, go to the Aa menu on the Kobo and check to see if Justification is turned off there, or set to Left. The book itself may be fine...
Hi,

Thank you, that was the first thing I did. The Kobo is definitely set to justify. I was hoping it would be something simple like that, but it's not, unfortunately.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clio View Post
Hi,

Thank you, that was the first thing I did. The Kobo is definitely set to justify. I was hoping it would be something simple like that, but it's not, unfortunately.
Set the Kobo to off. That way you can see what the justification is in the eBook. The problem is that using the justification setting either won't work or will cause problems for center and right justified text.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #9
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Set the Kobo to off. That way you can see what the justification is in the eBook. The problem is that using the justification setting either won't work or will cause problems for center and right justified text.
Thanks. I just tried this. The text didn't look any different, whether it was on or off. Paging through the book, I notice that there are occasional random bits which are justified, amongst the bits which aren't. But they don't change, whether the Kobo justification settings are on or off. And it's just random bits here and there. I've just noticed one paragraph where the first half of the paragraph is justified, and the second half isn't. This has me completely confused.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. I just tried this. The text didn't look any different, whether it was on or off. Paging through the book, I notice that there are occasional random bits which are justified, amongst the bits which aren't. But they don't change, whether the Kobo justification settings are on or off. And it's just random bits here and there. I've just noticed one paragraph where the first half of the paragraph is justified, and the second half isn't. This has me completely confused.
Install the ScrambleEbook plugin, scramble the eBook and see if you still see the problem. If you do, point out where you see it and attach the scrambled eBook when you replay and we can have a look at the code.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #11
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Install the ScrambleEbook plugin, scramble the eBook and see if you still see the problem. If you do, point out where you see it and attach the scrambled eBook when you replay and we can have a look at the code.
Thank you. I have done as you suggested. And in the result, the text is scrambled, but the justification looks the same. I'm attaching the scrambled book.

The chapters which in the scrambled version are titled QQJAN 2 and GORIQ 3 look particularly unjustified. Chapters after that seem to be a random mix of bits which are justified and bits which are not.

Thank you again!
Old 08-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think I see what may be the problem. Load the eBook into Calibre's editor. Have a look at stylesheet.css. delete the styles .calibre8 and .tab. That should fix the problem.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-14-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #13
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
That is kind of a strange one. I wonder how something in a Word file can come across as pre-wrap:

Code:
.calibre8 {
  line-height: 1.2;
  white-space: pre-wrap;
}
Yeah, probably silly question, most anything can hide in a word doc.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
Clio
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think I see what may be the problem. Load the eBook into Calibre's editor. Have a look at stylesheet.css. delete the styles .calibre8 and .tab. That should fix the problem.

Thank you! I managed to do this, and it has worked!
I'm so glad it worked, and grateful for your help!
Old 08-15-2022, 02:20 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Thank you! I managed to do this, and it has worked!
I'm so glad it worked, and grateful for your help!
Happy to help. I've seen that before. But as I edit my ePub before loading it, I get rid of that code as it's not needed.