Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2023, 03:13 AM   #1
BobD888
BobD888 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire & iPhone App
Kindle Location Preferred to Page Number

I am reading a book on my old Kindle Fire when at home and on my iPhone app when away from home. I prefer to use location vs page numbers because it is easier to go to the same spot on one as the other regardless of font, margins, or text size formatting differences. I converted from location to page number in the book on my iPhone to check it out. When I tried to revert back to location, that option did not appear to be available. I've looked on this forum and tried internet searches, however the hits I get always tell me how to convert location to page number - never the other way around. I would appreciate it if someone would either tell me how or point me in the right direction so I can figure out how to revert back to location - if that is possible. Thanks...
BobD888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some books have page numbers defined, and some do not. I think most titles in the Kindle store have page numbers.

The current iOS app will use page numbers if they are there, but locations if there are not. Newer Fire tablets, running recent versions of the Kindle app, and the Android app, are the same way. There’s no longer a way to choose one or the other.

Arguably it is less confusing.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-26-2023 at 01:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 01:42 AM   #3
BobD888

Thankyou for your reply tomsem. I am using the latest kindle app on iOS 17.0.3 on a new phone. I was reading a book that displayed location. I decided to checkout the "page number" option. It allowed me to make the change. Then I learned that I was not able to change my very old Kindle Fire to page numbers on the exact same book. Having the two devices keep track using different measures (page number and location) obviously makes no sense so I wanted to change the iPhone app back to location (what it was 5-10 minutes earlier) and the option to go back was not available. There are other ebooks that still display location on the phone app. So I guess once you change it, the change is permanent. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:52 AM   #4
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD888 View Post
Thankyou for your reply tomsem. I am using the latest kindle app on iOS 17.0.3 on a new phone. I was reading a book that displayed location. I decided to checkout the "page number" option. It allowed me to make the change. Then I learned that I was not able to change my very old Kindle Fire to page numbers on the exact same book. Having the two devices keep track using different measures (page number and location) obviously makes no sense so I wanted to change the iPhone app back to location (what it was 5-10 minutes earlier) and the option to go back was not available. There are other ebooks that still display location on the phone app. So I guess once you change it, the change is permanent. Thanks again.
I prefer location as well. as sometimes you can be for example page 3 and it only update once you have read for a few pages to change to next page
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD888 View Post
It looks like you just need to open a book without page data, toggle display of location, then after that, other books you open will also display location even if they have page data.

But books with page data will revert to page display very readily if you jump around with Go To, ToC, etc.

This trick does not work on (newer) Fire/Android Kindle app. It is either/or.

Personally I do not have issue with either display, and prefer the current implementation to the one that let you choose between them that was in effect in the past. Usually I am in time to end of chapter mode, or no progress display mode.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
BobD888

Thank-you everyone for your assistance.