Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware 5.16.3.1

Kindle firmware version 5.16.3.1 now available for 10th and 11th generation Kindles and Kindle Scribe. No update for older models again.

Quote:
Version 5.16.3.1 – July 2023

Here's what's new:

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
(They failed to update the month from the prior release note.)

The update was already downloaded to my Kindle by Amazon. I don't know whether I am just lucky or if Amazon is rolling out this update more aggressively than usual.

The only changes appear to be updated software libraries. Possibly bug fixes or exploit (jailbreak) mitigation.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-04-2023 at 02:54 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Can anyone confirm getting this over-the-air on "Kindle Basic 10th Generation" / J9G29R ?

Are automatic downloads disabled if the device is out-of-warranty?
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
(They failed to update the month from the prior release note.)
They probably don't announce implementation of jailbreak blockers.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYellow View Post
No.

Also out-of-warranty is a moving target depending on who you bought it off and where you are and where the seller is.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Amazon just releases updates for particular models. They don't gatekeep who gets to install them. They also don't just push them all out to every updated model all at once. They tend to roll them out over time of a few days or more. If you want the update now then you can download the update yourself and copy it over USB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I was wondering if this update brings MTP instead of USB connections to more devices though it seems to have made no difference on a PaperWhite 10th gen.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Why is Amazon asking me to re-log into my account after the update? First I have a problem translating their vague "instructions" for Mac to side load the update. After I figured that out and get the update into my Kindle and reboot, it's now asking me to log in again. The problem I have is my work network does not allow Kindles to connect. So I am stuck with a 11 inch brick till I get home later.

WTF did they have to make this update so complex? I have been updating my Kindles for years and this is the first Fuck up they have made.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Amazon just releases updates for particular models. They don't gatekeep who gets to install them. They also don't just push them all out to every updated model all at once. They tend to roll them out over time of a few days or more. If you want the update now then you can download the update yourself and copy it over USB.
There's a small, but interesting difference between over-the-air and download, and it involves whether the Kindle software will render a user-controlled HTML file in a different context.

DNSB, did you force the installation?
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where I used to work, connecting an non-corporate external storage device to a work computer was quite likely to result in unemployment.

If you have a smart phone, you could try using it as a hot spot to connect your Scribe (I'm assuming that when you call it an 11 inch brick that you are referring to the 10.2" Scribe) to allow logging in.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #10
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Quote:
Can anyone confirm getting this over-the-air on "Kindle Basic 10th Generation" / J9G29R ?

Updates are rolled out in waves. Otherwise their servers would crash from everyone updating at once.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 03:45 PM   #11
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminon View Post
Updates are rolled out in waves. Otherwise their servers would crash from everyone updating at once.
Seeing that the whole thing is hosted on AWS, which serves as the backbone to the IT infrastructure of a high percentage of large companies nowadays, I don’t think it would crash the servers. My guess would be that they somehow mitigate the impact of a possible serious issue with the firmware by rolling it out in batches - if something goes wrong due to a bug in the firmware, then only a limited number of people will be affected.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #12
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Seeing that the whole thing is hosted on AWS, which serves as the backbone to the IT infrastructure of a high percentage of large companies nowadays, I don’t think it would crash the servers. My guess would be that they somehow mitigate the impact of a possible serious issue with the firmware by rolling it out in batches - if something goes wrong due to a bug in the firmware, then only a limited number of people will be affected.
Agreed. I have had little sleep. Thanks for the correction.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #13
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Where I used to work, connecting an non-corporate external storage device to a work computer was quite likely to result in unemployment.

If you have a smart phone, you could try using it as a hot spot to connect your Scribe (I'm assuming that when you call it an 11 inch brick that you are referring to the 10.2" Scribe) to allow logging in.

My work doesn't allow for the low security protocols that the Kindle uses to connect with.

I tried to use my hotspot, but Kindle was not seeing it on the Wi-Fi list. And yes, I am referring to the 10.2 Kindle Scribe as a brick. Just using a general term of 11 inches to describe it.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #14
sgt123456
sgt123456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does anyone know if sideloaded books now have covers with this update ?
sgt123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt123456 View Post
Does anyone know if sideloaded books now have covers with this update ?
No, Amazon has not yet reverted that "improvement".