Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sudden extreme battery drain?

Hello all --

I've had my Aura HD since it was first released, and I've had no issues with it, especially with the battery life, which was extremely generous.

However, lately the battery drains very rapidly when I'm not using it. When I last read on the device (5 days ago) and put it into sleep mode, the battery was at 40%. Today I looked at it and it was at 2%.

Any reason why suddenly there's such an extreme battery drain even when it's off (or rather, sleeping)?

I thought only page turns actually drained the battery (or the light, or WiFi connection), but not when it was sleeping.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Something is very, very wrong with the latest Kobo firmware drivers. My Glo does the same thing, and it freezes up too.

Incredibly dissapointing. I have to hard reset my Glo and then it freezes up within minutes afterwards
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
My Glo HD has started to shut itself down due to battery drain.

I had thought that it was something I was doing, but I 100% charged the battery yesterday morning, read for less than an hour and put it to sleep, and at night the Glo HD had shut itself off and the battery was at 2%.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
IDN
IDN began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle 2014, Kindle PW3 2016, and Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
My Glo HD has started to shut itself down due to battery drain.

I had thought that it was something I was doing, but I 100% charged the battery yesterday morning, read for less than an hour and put it to sleep, and at night the Glo HD had shut itself off and the battery was at 2%.
Hi, i got the same experience with my Glo HD. Is it because i updated to the newest firmware? I just received my Glo HD 2 days ago, and i updated the firmware yesterday. This morning my battery was 78% and now it's 24%. I only read for about 2 hours today with 10% of frontlight. Is that normal? Because my kindle seems to have much better battery life than this.
IDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
have you tried turning it off and on again? (might help if a process got stuck in the background). any mods installed? wifi disabled?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My experience with Kobo Aura H2O is very good.

The charge lasts for more than three weeks, with an average reading of half an hour everyday. Whenever the battery reaches 30%, I connect the USB charger until 100%.

I keep the front light setting to 2% which is just sufficient to read in total darkness in the bedroom. The front light consumes more battery at high intensity. Try to set to the bare minimum for comfortable reading.

Sleep setting is 15 minutes. If you use the e-reader sparingly, you can set the device to shutdown at the maximum duration (1 hour). This will further saves battery power.

The only time the device consumes lots of battery is when I load the device with large number of books and the processing books takes long time. So I need to keep the USB charger connected until processing books database is complete.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for this thread. I'm noticing this power drain issue on my Aura HD as well -- for instance, three days ago I fully charged it (i.e. plugged into my PC through USB until the Aura's screen read "Connected and charged"). Three days later -- during which it was used only once, for perhaps 40 minutes, and the rest of the time was in Sleeping mode -- the battery reads 21%. (BTW Wi-Fi is disabled, with no connections configured.)

Has anyone discovered a solution to this? Any acknowledgement from Kobo?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Not having trouble with any of my units, which are not on the latest, they are running 3.19.5613. (Aura HD, Glo HD, Mini)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #9
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Aura H2O running on latest firmware (and yes, this is really latest and not an older one) without any power problems. After a full charge it keeps the 100% for some time even while reading and doing a wifi sync. Works like a charm and holds its charge.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Typically my kobo holds its charge just fine and drains very slowly as I read books and will stay above 80% for many days.

However, every now and then it drains very rapidly from full to half charge.
Typically, this is associated with the wifi being on and the kobo constantly scanning for networks and only finding ones that it can't connect to, or a PDF file that was taking a very long time to change pages, or searching in a large PDF file.

If the problem was triggered by a PDF file, sometimes the battery will continue to drain even when I'm not reading the PDF anymore -- like it is still trying to search it in the background or something, or maybe the PDF renderer is stuck even through I'm not using it anymore.

If I notice a sudden unexpected battery drain like this, I have found a reboot and turning off wifi will stop the drain.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I had two days in a row of fast battery drain on my Glo HD running the latest firmware.

Both times, the device spent most of it's time asleep. Powering down on the first day reset something and caused the battery drain to not happen on the rest of the day. Didn't try this on day two.

I think it may be book, or position in the book related. But that's just a guess.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 AM   #12
chithanh112
chithanh112 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The battery on Kobo Glo HD also drains quickly sometimes.
I had replaced my first Glo HD. However, my second one had the same problem. It went derectly from around 80% to over 60 % after a night, then, from over 40% to 2% on the next day. (I always turn off wifi connection). Maybe it because of the firmware.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
chithanh112 is offline   Reply With Quote