Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
pocketsizevera
pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Colour eReader for Cloud Library

We have been holding off getting an eReader for our 5 yr old daughter hoping that Kobo would release a colour eReader but haven't seen anything online that's happening soon. She wants to start reading chapter books, but most still have pictures in them. Is there any recommendations this group can provide on a colour eReader that can borrow from the library? Recently our local library switched from OverDrive to Cloud library. So I'm not sure which colour devices would work. The cloud library page isn't too helpful.
pocketsizevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Looking at their website it looks like they have apps for Android and iOS and you can use eReaders that support Adobe's DRM like Kobo or Pocketbook.

There is not very many color eInk readers available right now. Boox has the Android Nova 3 Color but that's expensive ($420 USD + import duties), Pocketbook has slightly cheaper models but they're still at premium over B&W models (6" is $230 USD at Newegg.com). The other ones I know of are Chinese market only devices. If color is the main goal a tablet might be a better option. You could get a 8" Amazon Fire HD for $110 CAD for example and the app is sideloadable onto it.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 05-28-2021 at 05:12 PM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
pocketsizevera
pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocketsizevera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We did get an iPad earlier this year for online learning for her. I wanted to avoid extra screen time if possible. I guess we will have to wait a little long for a decent colour eReader. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For a five year old physical books are probably better. I hope that libraries in your area have re-opened. Maybe you could have a weekly trip to the library for her to choose some books.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
pocketsizevera

Totally agree on the physical books. We do have weekly trips to the library for curbside pickup. Unfortunately, the teacher had assigned a lot of virtual books for her. Not all are available in the library.
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsizevera View Post
Totally agree on the physical books. We do have weekly trips to the library for curbside pickup. Unfortunately, the teacher had assigned a lot of virtual books for her. Not all are available in the library.
For something like this I bought a Chinese approx US$60 Android tablet on EBay.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote