Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #91
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbernitz View Post
I bought the nova2 today. What I can say is:

The display is great, better colour temperature than the Kindle Oasis 3 and brighter.
Contrast wise I would say they are about the same alltogether I can conclude contrast is great.
There is an annnoying dark "cloud" along the left and bottom edges which is not so nice
I didn't like the 4 black dead pixels on the screen and one dead pixel that is white all the time.
The neoreader didnt satisify all my needs so I use Koreader which works phantastic

Ehat I really dislike: the material especially on the back is such a thin plastic that when I knock on it with my fingers it will vibrate and make noises. I can easily imagine small cracks if you drop it or dont put it down carefully. Holding it in the hand feels equally cheap, you always feel like dont hold it too strongly you might break the plastic casing.
Thanks! I would use a case, but that hardware sounds odd for something that can't be called inexpensive for an ereader. Dark along the edges and bad pixels doesn't sound good, either. Koreader is my choice, too. I've never had an ereader with dead pixels and think I would send it back and try again.

I'm still trying t decide. A really dense black would be the tipping point. The other changes from the Nova Pro I might like but can do without.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #92
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
Is the microphone working on your device ?
Yes, it works.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #93
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I bought the nova2 today. What I can say is:

The display is great, better colour temperature than the Kindle Oasis 3 and brighter.
Contrast wise I would say they are about the same alltogether I can conclude contrast is great.
There is an annnoying dark "cloud" along the left and bottom edges which is not so nice
I didn't like the 4 black dead pixels on the screen and one dead pixel that is white all the time.

The neoreader didnt satisify all my needs so I use Koreader which works phantastic

Ehat I really dislike: the material especially on the back is such a thin plastic that when I knock on it with my fingers it will vibrate and make noises. I can easily imagine small cracks if you drop it or dont put it down carefully. Holding it in the hand feels equally cheap, you always feel like dont hold it too strongly you might break the plastic casing.
I haven't noticed any apparent edge shadows or dead pixels.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #94
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
@psbernitz: You must have a defective device. I'm not seeing any of the issues you're seeing with yours, whether with hardware or with display issues. I hope you can exchange it for another, or get a full refund.

NeoReader, I find, is much better than it was even a year ago. I can use it now and not get irritated after a while! NeoReader is best with pdfs, but it now does a decent job with most formats. That said, Moon Reader works great. Use its Outdoor Theme, and adjust font size to your liking.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #95
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
NeoReader, I find, is much better than it was even a year ago. I can use it now and not get irritated after a while! NeoReader is best with pdfs, but it now does a decent job with most formats.
The only thing that bothers me about the NeoReader is that it cannot be left-justified, but displays everything in justification.
And you need the NeoReader for notes.
Advert
Old 04-19-2020, 01:03 AM   #96
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
Well the display options on Neoreader are not the best, I already used the maximum for line spacing and it's still not enough for me.

The font menu is a complete chaos and I have to go through endless pages to find my installed fonts, and they are not even in order with every single font option displayed in the menu.

At least I wish I could find a way to delete all those pre-installed fonts.

A real advantage of the Neoreader however is the tapping zone function. I couldn't find something like this on the Koreader only to invert taps and swipes.

Yeah I already contacted Onyx and next week they might replace it I hope my replacement device has an equally good frontlight because the one I have here is even better than the Oasis 3 as I said earlier
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #97
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:

The font menu is a complete chaos and I have to go through endless pages to find my installed fonts, and they are not even in order with every single font option displayed in the menu.

At least I wish I could find a way to delete all those pre-installed fonts.
Wehere is the font menu in Neoreader located ? i cant find this option
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #98
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Wehere is the font menu in Neoreader located ? i cant find this option
A Format, Schriftart.
Bei mir gibt es: Total: 261
Old 04-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #99
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
ah, thanks otti
btw: fonts are located in /system/fonts (visible after root)
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #100
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
ah, thanks otti
btw: fonts are located in /system/fonts (visible after root)
And in /mnt/sdcard/fonts
Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #101
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

one more disadvantage I found with the Neoreader is that I can change the font size only in very big steps so I don't really find the sweet spot. It reminds me of the Kindle where one size is either too big and the next setting is too small
Old 04-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #102
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
one more disadvantage I found with the Neoreader is that I can change the font size only in very big steps so I don't really find the sweet spot. It reminds me of the Kindle where one size is either too big and the next setting is too small
Yes, this.

Also, even at the lowest setting, the line spacing is too large -- certainly larger than the standard 1.2em in epubs.

It's really a shame there isn't better customization in Neo Reader. I send feedback but I don't expect to be influential. Meanwhile, I continue to use Moon Reader+.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-20-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:33 AM   #103
psbernitz
Enthusiast

Finally thanks to the default lua file I was able to change the tap zones in a way they served my needs.

A bug I encountered is that when I set neoreader as PDF default but koreader as EPUB default and I use koreader then neoreader and go back to the koreader it won't open just freeze. Koreader itself seemingly never closes and I need to restart it from the options or freeze and unfreeze it in the app settings.

I have seen a complaint about this from almost half a year ago and nobody seemed to care about that.
Does anyone have a better fix or solution to this problem?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #104
psbernitz
Enthusiast

Sorry for the double post but I found a nice solution for the neoreader/koreader problem

Everytime you exit the neoreader you can go to settings you click on the arrov next to the version informations and the first line is neoreader v3.0
You click on this then you can disable the app and youcan safely launch the koreader anytime you like because it seems neoreader doesnt allow koreader to open until its active
Old 04-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #105
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I was about to order the Nova 2 when I realized that I hadn't seen any info on whether or not it is waterproof. Since I can't find an IP rating I am guessing that it is not at all waterproof. Can someone confirm this for me? This is a showstopper as I want to be able to read it on my boat. I don't plan on dumping it in the water but it has to be able to handle a very good splash occasionally. I am looking for an 8" Android ereader that I can load android apps on (Moon+ Reader Pro, Calibre Companion) right out of the box.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote