Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 05:13 AM   #526
juergen
juergen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Firmware > 5.12 ok now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juergen View Post
If I update the PW3 to e.g. firmware 15.4.2, install the jailbreak/MRPI/KUAL and then install renameotabin, will it be safe to enable the WiFi?
Duh, typo in a kind-of-important place... That's meant to read "update to 5.14.2" of course, sorry! And my other references to version "15.x" are meant to be "5.x"...
juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:48 AM   #527
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
There are repeated warnings to stay away from firmware versions >= 5.12.x
No they don't? What gave you the impression?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 07:22 AM   #528
juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No they don't? What gave you the impression?
Thanks for the quick reply, NiLuJe!
Well, the original post in this thread says the following:

Quote:
Speaking of updates, remember that everything is basically evil since FW 5.12.x, so the only sure fire way not to get screwed is to *permanently* stay in Airplane mode.
[...]
If, despite the many earlier warnings, you're currently running FW >= 5.12.2, things get a little dicey
[...]
Fair warning, though: this will *no longer* protect you from automatic updates on FW >= 5.12.x! On those FW versions, slightly more aggressive methods are in various phases of development, check the forums
[...]
If you're in a position to choose which FW version to update to, *avoid* anything >= 5.12.x
All of which suggest to me that I should stay away from versions 5.12.x and later if possible?
Old 06-04-2023, 11:50 PM   #529
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, it appears that, I, err, quoted the wrong part of your post, my bad.

I meant what made you think that you *needed* a newer FW to JB?
Old 06-05-2023, 03:50 AM   #530
juergen

Oh -- indeed, I had misundestood your question. Regarding the supported firmware versions, I was going by the initial post in the WatchThis thread, which is referenced as the "current method" in this thread. It states:

Quote:
Device Compatibility

This jailbreak is compatible with Kindle devices running the following firmware versions:

KT3, KT4, KOA1, KOA2, KOA3, PW3, PW4, PW5:
5.14.1 (5.14.1.1 on PW5)

KV:

KT2, PW2:

You must use the exploit payload that matches your device/firmware combination exactly.
That seems to say that all supported FWs are 12.2 and above?
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 11:45 AM   #531
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Oh -- indeed, I had misundestood your question. Regarding the supported firmware versions, I was going by the initial post in the WatchThis thread, which is referenced as the "current method" in this thread. It states:

That seems to say that all supported FWs are 12.2 and above?
The KindleBreak jailbreak covers firmwares from 5.10.3 to 5.13.3 and is easier to do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:46 PM   #532
juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The KindleBreak jailbreak covers firmwares from 5.10.3 to 5.13.3 and is easier to do.
Thank you! I had not come across this option, and the initial post in this OpenSesame thread seems to imply that the newer method is the only option:

Quote:
JailBreak.

The current method (WatchThis) requires a device running a FW version <= to 5.14.2.

If that's not you, then you're currently sorely out of luck.

If that's you, check out the WatchThis thread for detailed installation instructions, and come back here once that's done .
I only noticed just now, when searching the first page of this thread for "KindleBreak", that it is discussed in post #2 "for archival purposes". Which, again, suggests that it is an outdated approach, and that WatchThis is -- if not the only working approach -- at least the preferred one?

So, should WatchThis be used whenever possible? Or is KindleBreak still the preferred approach if one has a sufficiently old FW as the starting point? I am still a bit confused... Thanks for helping me out!
Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM   #533
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's perfectly valid for an older device like yours, which is why the post has been kept .

The layout of the first post is just a tradeoff made for clarity and what's popular at the time (i.e., breaking brand new devices).
Old 06-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #534
tokariew
tokariew began at the beginning.

Device: jaibreaken oasis2
Get today refurbished pw5. After checking i got 5.14.2 version
I jailbroken it, before connecting to the wifi.
Does renamingota package work currently?
I want to connect to wifi to setup it on my amazon account and to update time. Is it safe after renaming ota binaries?

After that i probably will keep it on the airplane or setup my pihole to not allow it to connect outside of my local network with dns...
tokariew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #535
juergen

Thank you! I will update to a firmware pre 5.12.2 then and go for the KindleBreak approach. Easier to do, and less risk of unwanted firmware updates later.

Maybe a short paragraph could be added to the first post, to help those who arrive late to the whole Kindle jailbreak effort (like me...) get their bearings. Something along the lines of:

"This post focuses on the most recent jailbreak method, "WatchThis", which works with relatively modern firmware versions up to 5.14.2. If you have an older device with a firmware version earlier than 5.12.2, the "KindleBreak" approach may offer an easier alternative -- see the next post for that."
Old 06-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #536
juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's perfectly valid for an older device like yours, which is why the post has been kept .

The layout of the first post is just a tradeoff made for clarity and what's popular at the time (i.e., breaking brand new devices).
Thank you! I will update my Kindle to a firmware pre 5.12.2 then, and use the KindleBreak approach.

Maybe a short paragraph could be added to the first post, to help those (like me...) who arrive late to the whole Kindle jailbreak story get their bearings? Something like:

Quote:
This post focuses on the most recent jailbreak method, "WatchThis", which can be used with relatively modern firmware versions up to 5.14.2. If you have an older Kindle with a firmware before version 5.12.2, the "KindleBreak" method may offer an easier alternative -- seen the following post in that case.
[Off-topic question: While I did not have any problems making my first couple of posts here, the more recent ones have all been sent through moderation. And the Quick Response I typed a few minutes ago has disappeared without any message or trace. Am I doing something wrong or did I misbehave? ]
Old 06-06-2023, 11:10 AM   #537
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong or did I misbehave? ]
No, new accounts have limitations imposed on them, and one of them is that posts with links/quotes automatically get sent to the moderation queue.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:48 AM   #538
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 B&N Simple Touch
I'm experienced jailbreaking Kindles starting with the K3.
I just need a recommendation in which direction to go as there is so much conflicting info here so I'm asking the person who seems most qualified.
I have or can get all the KUAL, MRPI and KOreader extensions and jailbreak files.
I don't use the Kindle interface as it and the reading app sucks.
Feel free to read no further if you have a recommendation.

What are the dis and advantages of 5.13.3 to 5.10.1.3 or where can I find something explaining the differences. I use Kindle for PC, etc to convert my 800+ Amazon books to ePub so i can read them anywhere.
I have 50,000+ eBooks and read 3-5 a week.

Does this method still work?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564 Open Sesame

My PW4 came with 5.12.4 and I have 5.13.3 downloaded as well as KUAL and renameota.bin to block updates.
I downgraded to 5.10.1.3 and everything works perfectly with no updates with WiFi connected. Would doing a factory reset to 5.12.4, then upgrading to 5.13.3, installing KUAL and renameota.bin be possible?
Yes, I expect this to be moderated and I'll have to wait for a reply.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #539
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
One advantage of 5.10.x is that an empty directory named update.bin.tmp.partial will block updates. If you're not going to use the even worse UI, why go higher?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #540
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 B&N Simple Touch
Thumbs up With Kindles it seems newer isn't better

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
One advantage of 5.10.x is that an empty directory named update.bin.tmp.partial will block updates. If you're not going to use the even worse UI, why go higher?
Thank you for the information about the interface.
Since the newer FW has a worse interface I'll stay on 5.10.3 since I do loan my PW4 to my GF occasionally and she prefers the Kindle interface.
She loves icons, I prefer text interfaces.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote