Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #301
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've done all that. None of that helps. Many people are reporting this issue.
Somebody mentioned in the 4.3.8871 firmware thread that the rakuten affiliate gets stuck on sync. Try changing to a different one, like rakutenbooks (assuming you have it set to rakuten).
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Somebody mentioned in the 4.3.8871 firmware thread that the rakuten affiliate gets stuck on sync. Try changing to a different one, like rakutenbooks (assuming you have it set to rakuten).
The same person did say syncing with rakutenbooks as the affiliate works
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #303
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Since the update, my AuraH2O syncs with Kobo's servers,but sync between the eReader and the android Kobo Android app no longer seems to work.

Is this happening to anyone else?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #304
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know I'd seen a tweet from Kobo that there were bookmark syncing issues on the weekend
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #305
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
And I've seen at their web, when I was checking something at the account.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #306
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
That was me, but its reported a bit out of context - I was commenting that the wifi connection bug for any affiliate had not been fixed in the new firmware - it needs the wifi to be already connected for a sync not to go into an endless loop.

It seems to me that this could also happen in an Autosync - if the wifi is not already on it will go into this loop. Is the wifi being off the case for those having problems with Autosync? - I don't have the Autosync turned on as I like to control if/when to sync.

The Rakuten/rakutenbooks affiliate question was a different issue. With Rakuten the sync process met another error once connected and responded with an error message. Although it works for making the Pin lock available I suspect its not valid for syncing. rakutenbooks is no better than any other affiliate for syncing - it needs the wifi is turned on to work! - but it also makes the Pin utility available.

Personally I'm hoping for a new firmware very soon to fix the wifi connection/sync issue - it seems to me to be a major bug.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #307
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I keep Wifi on all the time. I also had auto sync on. All was working smoothly until the 8842 update. Then, as others have reported too, it basically just gets stuck on Checking for Updates trying to sync and wears down the battery. I turned off auto sync. However even manual sync doesn't complete. It will download new books that you have purchased or checked out on Overdrive. However it never completes the full sync and you have to cancel out of it. My KA1 says the last sync was Feb 21st which was the day the 8842 update installed. I manually updated now to the next version since OTA and syncing aren't working. The issue still persists.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #308
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Bookworm_Girl, its a puzzle!

With 8842 I had that never-ending sync you describe initially but a day later it was syncing correctly [once the wifi was turned on, of course]. I put it down to a server overload as they had rolled out that update everywhere at once. With 8871 I had no trouble completing the sync [again, once the wifi was turned on]. I don't know what the difference could be - the only things that come to mind to do with syncing are

1. I keep my wifi turned off and only turn it on just before syncing [maybe check?]
2. I have the patch to stop updates [unlikely to help a sync I would have thought]
3. My usual affiliate is Kobo [who knows what effect affiliates have? rakutenbooks was just a side exploration of the Pin utility].

It's probably something else entirely - I'm no expert, I just enjoy checking things out!
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #309
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Pretty much the same situation for me as Bookworm_Girl describes. I still haven't bothered with the 8871 update yet though, since it doesn't seem to have address this issue.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #310
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is my H20 home screen, I find it clean and simple. The top are three books I have started, with room for one more. The bottom left is my Books. The 'advertising' is bottom right ( I don't mind the covers myself) and the two bottom links (just words).
I don't really care for it. Yes, it's very "clean", but it seems to reflect less about the user and more about what Kobo wants to promote. I prefer how the old homescreen is constantly updated to reflect my activities.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #311
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know I'd seen a tweet from Kobo that there were bookmark syncing issues on the weekend
Frustratingly, it's not just bookmarks, it's any progress at all.

I read on my H2O at home and in the app on my phone everywhere else, and it's very frustrating that I have to spend time to manually move forward in the book to get to where I was reading on the other device.

If bookmarks synced I could just create one and sync them, then go to Annotations on the other device, but that no longer works.

I suspect this is a side-effect of the bookmark sync problem, and I hope it is fixed soon.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #312
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Frustratingly, it's not just bookmarks, it's any progress at all.

I read on my H2O at home and in the app on my phone everywhere else, and it's very frustrating that I have to spend time to manually move forward in the book to get to where I was reading on the other device.

If bookmarks synced I could just create one and sync them, then go to Annotations on the other device, but that no longer works.

I suspect this is a side-effect of the bookmark sync problem, and I hope it is fixed soon.
I remember reading seeing it over the weekend, and it wasn't just bookmarks, but the current reading position. Basically the syncing between the devices and the apps isn't working.

And, it's at the top of the help page - https://www.kobo.com/help. The text is:

Code:
ALERT: We are experiencing technical difficulties with the Bookmark feature on your eReader and Kobo app. You won’t be able to continue to read from where you left off if you are reading between your eReader and Kobo app.
Your Bookmarks will also not sync between your Kobo eReader and Kobo Reading app. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:34 AM   #313
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

The simple fact it never occurred to me to check Kobo Help for information if probably a bad sign somehow. Whether for me or them, that's separate discussion.

Thanks for the link and info!

I will attempt to be patient and adjust manually. For now.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #314
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
The simple fact it never occurred to me to check Kobo Help for information if probably a bad sign somehow. Whether for me or them, that's separate discussion.
It wouldn't have occurred to me either. I was searching for something else, the link took me to the help and that was displayed at the top of the page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #315
Rosalene
Rosalene began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA HD
Not exactly a patch . . . KOBO UPGRADE 4.3.8842

Hi Guys
I am new here and most definitely NOT alas a geek (64 year old house frau in NZ) - so forgive my ignorance. I have a KOBO AURA HD and was most unhappy with the 43.8842 upgrade for two reasons. One: it screwed up my collections (obviously not alone in that) and two: itr meant that I could no longer use the earlier and excellent nightmode patch controled by a long press on the light button. So anyway I copied the .kobo file and put that aside, then downgraded to 3.7 firmware and reinstalled night mode, then backed up and deleted the 3.7 .kobo file in its entirety and added back the 4.3.8842 .kobo file. Result: I now can use the old nightmode, the firmware shows as 3.7, but I have some of the advantages of the 4.3.8842 including some bugs fixed. Hope this is useful for someone. Not kosher of course but I am happier.

The only major problem I have found is that I now cannot use Calibre to 'send to device" but that is not a biggie - can still side load using - in my case - Windows Explorer.

NOW THE PLEA What 4.3.8842 needs is a good nightmode patch - one that can be toggled on an off. (Could not get the code addition to the config file to work. That is [FeatureSettings] InvertScreen=true

YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!
Rosalene is offline   Reply With Quote