Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
beschoot
beschoot began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
No "Get Book" button on Metadata page?

I've created an empty book, filled in the name of the author and title. I've downloaded the metadata and cover. Read the review/summary and now am ready to buy the book. Is there a way to do it directly without starting over in "Get books"?
beschoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
No there is not. However, you can select the book in your library then click the down arrow next to the Get Books icon and choose "Search for this book" or one of the other similar options to have it start searching faster.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
No there is not. However, you can select the book in your library then click the down arrow next to the Get Books icon and choose "Search for this book" or one of the other similar options to have it start searching faster.
If OP is just talking about not having to add all the metadata after he/she buys the book, can't you just merge the titles?

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
beschoot
beschoot began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I wanted.
beschoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
If OP is just talking about not having to add all the metadata after he/she buys the book, can't you just merge the titles
Easier would be to add the book as a format in edit metadata instead of adding a new book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Easier would be to add the book as a format in edit metadata instead of adding a new book.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Kovid: Something that occurs to me when reading this thread.

Would it be possible to support dropping an ebook file onto the Details pane for a book as being equivalent to dropping in the format Window in the Edit Metadata dialog? I would find this would vastly reduce the number of times I open up the Edit Metadata dialog to either add a new format, or update the one that is already there.

If you want I can open an enhancement request ticket for this?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

Would it be possible to support dropping an ebook file onto the Details pane for a book as being equivalent to dropping in the format Window in the Edit Metadata dialog? I would find this would vastly reduce the number of times I open up the Edit Metadata dialog to either add a new format, or update the one that is already there.

I was going to say the the 'Details' panel was not in edit mode ,
But recently the crew added the ability to drop a different Cover onto the old one.
So, your suggestion makes sense (it might not be easy )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I just tried it. Worked fine. Doesn't it work for you?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not just that, depending on your browser/OS, you may even be able to drag and drop a link from a website directly onto the book details panel and calibre will download and add the file (of course this only works if the file is publicly available)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tried it. Worked fine. Doesn't it work for you?
I just tried to drag-and-drop an epub file on the Book Details pane and got the no-entry symbol (using IE8 on Windows 7). That was why I asked about this facility. I CAN drop a .jpg file on the image in the Book Details pane to update that so drag-and-drop for that is working OK.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried to drag-and-drop an epub file on the Book Details pane and got the no-entry symbol (using IE8 on Windows 7). That was why I asked about this facility. I CAN drop a .jpg file on the image in the Book Details pane to update that so drag-and-drop for that is working OK.
Ahhh... By pane you mean the separate window? I dropped on the book details frame (the one in calibre's library view window). I never use the separate book details pane, so hadn't noticed that it behaves differently.

Edit: what does IE have to do with it? Are you dropping using a link? I am dropping files.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Ahhh... By pane you mean the separate window? I dropped on the book details frame (the one in calibre's library view window). I never use the separate book details pane, so hadn't noticed that it behaves differently.
I meant the one at the right-hand side of the normal Calibre library view.

Quote:
Edit: what does IE have to do with it? Are you dropping using a link? I am dropping files.
I only mentioned IE because Kovid said it might depend on the browser in use. I was trying it from Windows Explorer.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I meant the one at the right-hand side of the normal Calibre library view.

I only mentioned IE because Kovid said it might depend on the browser in use. I was trying it from Windows Explorer.
Running W7/pro/32. if I drag a file with a book extension (tried txt, epub, mobi, and prc) from a windows explorer window (not IE) onto the book details pane (for me it is at the bottom), that book is added as a format of the book currently displayed. It sounds as if this doesn't happen for you.

Dragging onto the window that appears when I double-click on the book details pane at the bottom does not work, but it seems that you are not doing that.

I have no explanation for the difference in behavior. Strange...
Old 07-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard

I'll have to look further then as we seem to be running exactly the same OS version.